how much to restore a gw

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
trekkar

how much to restore a gw

Post by trekkar »

Hello,

Anyone have an estimate on what it would cost to have a complete interior redone. New carpets, new window motors some door panels, maybe some new (used) seats. And the difference to have someone do it for you or do it your self?

Also a 5.3 or 6.0 swap? I'd assume get a used motor/tranny for 3-4k. Then how much for all the rest of the parts? Then how much to have someone do the swap?

If I don't sell my gw then I'd like to get this done. I'm not looking for anything like the company in Indiana or Ohio does. Heck I may not even need carpet just a vinyl liner or rhino liner. Just want it to function and have a good amount of power. Don't care how it looks at all.

ProTouring442

Re: how much to restore a gw

Post by ProTouring442 »

It will all depend on what you specify. So, somewhere between $10,000 and $100,000.

Quite the spread, eh?

So, let's look at some more "thought out" guestimates.

Interior:

Reupholstering the doors and seats in a decent quality vinyl will likely set you back about $2,000. Up the quality of the vinyl, or add more than one color/complex designs, and the costs will go up.

5.3/6.0 swap:

As you stated, a good, reasonable mileage engine/trans will set you back $2,000-$3,000. Harness and ECM work will go another $1,000 or so (Speartech). You'll need to pull the trans apart to install the correct output shaft, so figure a trans rebuild at the same time (another $1,500-$2,000).

You'll need to go with an aftermarket gauge set up of some sort. Dakota Digital makes a set for FSJs, around $800.

Figure another $2,000 to $5,000 for "other stuff" (exhaust, wiring, misc rebuilds, etc).

And then, if you have someone else do the work, there is the labor costs...

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

BJ's sells Katzkins covers for the seats starting about $800 for front and backs in leather/vinyl. More for all leather.

They only have one picher which looks pretty good. You'd think they'd put up a few more pics for a product like that. Maybe offer a customer a bit of a refund for some decent pics once he installed them.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
trekkar

Post by trekkar »

Thanks for the responses, the covers is a good idea. I like the one I have since it's rust free and those are hard to find in the northeast. But If I'm looking at spending 10-15k plus labor then maybe I should try and find one already done. If anyone knows anyone in the northeast or a days drive away that would want to do a build like this please let me know I may be willing to do it if I don't find any already finished.

How about if you got the complete donor vehicle and only wanted 2 wheel drive maybe that would be about 5k. Then bare miniumum for the interior they have any crank window replacements instead of the electric?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If you are wanting one thats literally better than new, you can look at www.mrwagoneer.com

They vehicles they do aren't "cheap", but they are literal frame off restorations that look absolutely amazing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Certainly if you can find someone selling one with a swap already done you will save a ton of money.

Keep in mind that a swap like that creates it's own issues that will need to be worked out.

You can rebuild the AMC engine for a lot less money and they can be made to run pretty good. What are your thoughts on why you want to do the swap?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
trekkar

Post by trekkar »

I'd like it to be reliable, fuel injected, more power, stock height doesn't even need to kept 4wd. Probalby won't drive it in the winter to keep the rust away. I think the 6.0 chevy is somewhere around 350-400hp so that would be good.

mx71

Post by mx71 »

~$800 for Katzkins seat covers from BJs as mentioned
~$800 for a full set of door and cargo panels from BJs
~$800 for full carpet kit and ABS tailgate panel from BJs
~$500-600 for complete headliner kit from BJs
- Window motors will need to be found used.

I got a remanufactured 360 from Bjs for I believe around $1,700-2,000 this year. Great motor.

Interior=~$3000

I've got a 79 with new motor, rebuilt trans, gone through axles, reman carb, new suspension/brake/cooling/charging system/fuel system/tires/wheels, new interior with previously mentioned parts (except seat covers as they aren't made for mine). I had a mechanic do all the motor and trans work, and take a peek at the axles. I've got over $22,000 into mine and it still needs paint and for the seats to be recovered.

Topic author
trekkar

Post by trekkar »

Thanks mx71, sounds like you got a well sorted rig, thats some real good info there

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

do you have a budget? if no and money is an object, then build your budget on new item prices (had more than a few used parts that were junked)
probably the easier way to think of it is: restoring/repowering likely won't be any cost savings over a slightly used newer vehicle.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

letank

Post by letank »

trekkar wrote:I'd like it to be reliable
Get a toyota.... or become your own mechanic, sorry to be blunt, but no vehicle over 30 years can be called reliable. For my own stories: not too many stories of stranded on the side of the highway, that I did not manage to fix within an hour... or the tow truck was nearby to bring me home.

-fan clutch separated sending fan into radiator... at 1 am, 60miles from base.... tow truck
-ammeter quits... computer tech support guy fixed it next morning in 5 min - this was way before internet and forums-
-dead battery... AAA call for a jump
-bad spark plugs ... tow truck
-bad MSD module -road side fix
-carburetor issues, aka loose inlet needle -road side fix-
-fried ignition, engine dies in front of garage after 800 miles - garage fix
- dying fuel pump , happened a few times usually on urban freeway, no choice ... tow truck

It is not if it will breakdown, but WHEN...

Otherwise, which purpose will the vehicle be used for, should be your guide, most of us are into off roading or wheeling into not accessible location, so, slight body damage is OK, borderline interior is acceptable

Seats... , those GW seats are not comfortable, I swapped some nissan pathfinder seats a few years ago, much better, in fact I got lucky this spring and found a pristine GW at the JY, so I bought the seats, installed the driver's seat, not good... the pathfinder seat will go back...

Engine wise, yes this is not a torque monster, especially with the 2.72 gearing... if you ever tried a 3.54, this is a must...

Knowing the electrical system is probably your best knowledge the day it does not fire, or crank... so a simple carb and coil system is an easy system to troubleshoot

As for budget, seat are $55 at the JY, headliner was a fire sale, $10 for enough material to do 5 headliners, paint is the epoxy marine paint, and a couple of foam rollers... $60, or you can get the matching paint at $20 a can...

Cheers

Merry Xmas
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

letank wrote:
trekkar wrote:I'd like it to be reliable
Get a toyota.... or become your own mechanic, sorry to be blunt, but no vehicle over 30 years can be called reliable. For my own stories: not too many stories of stranded on the side of the highway, that I did not manage to fix within an hour... or the tow truck was nearby to bring me home.
Since completing the engine/transmission swap, I have driven over 60,000 trouble free miles, including several trips from the Knoxville, TN area to Albuquerque, NM and back, with no problems.

Once I complete my rebuild the axles and suspension (I didn't rebuild them when I did the engine), it will again be called upon to make such trips.