1990 Grand Wagoneer Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

1990 Grand Wagoneer Build

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Hey everybody, my name is Pete and this is my 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
It has the usual AMC 360 / TF727 / NP229 combo and had about 142k miles when I bought it back in June of 2018. The PO put on a rhino grill off of a 1967 J-truck, a BJ's aluminum radiator, removed the air pump, and removed the stock roof rack and sealed the holes. I started a build thread on Expedition Portal, but came to realize I needed more technical help, so here I am.

When we got it, the interior was pretty rough, and one of the stipulations from my wife when buying was that the seats and carpet would be cleaned up first. It turns out coolant was mixing with transmission fluid, so we had to have the transmission rebuilt first and an auxiliary trans cooler put on. That was a fun second day of ownership...
4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

will e

Re: 1990 Grand Wagoneer Build

Post by will e »

Welcome from Phoenix Arizona. That's a cool look for a 1990. I love the two tone paint. This is a great place to get lots of technical help and encouragement. We are not the biggest board around but there are lots of dedicated members who will support you and answer questions.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Wow that jeep is beautiful, you wouldnt expect the interior to look so bad from a jeep that pretty.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

will e wrote:Welcome from Phoenix Arizona. That's a cool look for a 1990. I love the two tone paint. This is a great place to get lots of technical help and encouragement. We are not the biggest board around but there are lots of dedicated members who will support you and answer questions.
Cheapthrills wrote:Wow that jeep is beautiful, you wouldnt expect the interior to look so bad from a jeep that pretty.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks guys!

The next order of business was to overhaul the interior. I ripped the old carpet and seats out, wire wheeled and painted the little amount of floor pan rust (a HUGE relief :D ) and laid down sound and thermal deadening. The roof received sound deadening as well, along with Reflectix to help with controlling the Texas heat.
Floor Pan.jpg
Floor Pan2.jpg
Insulation.jpg
Insulation2.jpg
Also, some burnt bulbs and sketchy wire nuts persuaded me to change the taillights to BJ's LED versions. I'm not sure I would do this one again, given the cost difference vs. just LED bulbs, but they work great.
Tailights.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

After the insulation, a carpet kit and Katzkin seat upholstery kit came from BJ's. (We even splurged and got some heated seat kits!) I spent way too long thinking about colors, but in the end mahogany brown seats and stock sand carpets won out.
Trunk.jpg
Back.jpg
Front.jpg
Back Seat.jpg
Front Seat.jpg
Both the seats and the carpet were a ton of work, but I'm really happy with the way it came out, and now my wife is happy riding in the wagon too!
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Next, some cheap 3-position LED dome lights worked great to light up the interior. There were no dome lights when I bought it.
Dome Light.jpg
A redhead steering box made the steering feel brand new and not leak everywhere, and a Rotella oil change and approved filter (I did a lot of oil filter research) gave me the confidence to start driving it again after the transmission mishap.

A steering wheel cover really put the cherry on top of the interior refresh, and I started to look at the engine.
Steering Wheel Cover.jpg
I cleaned up all the rust and gunk off of the air cleaner and hit it with a few coats of engine enamel. An AMC360 sticker, new air filter, and new intake hose finished it off. Then, I did the TFI upgrade after tons of research on here. New regapped plugs, wires, cap-a-dapt, cap, rotor, and TFI coil upgraded the stock system that was in need of a refresh.
Air Cleaner.jpg
Air Cleaner2.jpg
Then December came around and we got in the Christmas spirit.
Wreath.JPG
1990 Grand Wagoneer

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Finally! Pichers of the Katzkin covers. I think BJ's would sell more of them if they'd post some pics.

They look good. Did you use the original padding?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Next, my wife and I found out we are having a baby, so the budget and time commitment plummeted. But, I have been trying to do little things here and there that don't cost much to get it to run a little better. I bought a oil pump repair kit to try and fix the low hot oil pressure at idle, just have not installed it yet. I also correctly fixed the air pump removal that the PO had done with some 9/16-18 bolts and copper washers into the exhaust manifolds. And that brings us up to date!

Everything I've done so far has been because of the answers I've found on this forum, so thank you to everyone for that!
SJTD wrote:Finally! Pichers of the Katzkin covers. I think BJ's would sell more of them if they'd post some pics.
They look good. Did you use the original padding?
I agree! It was really hard to find any good pictures. I did use the original foam. Mine was in okay condition, and the tightness of the cover helped to firm it up a little, but I may go back sometime in the future and learn how to cut foam and re-do it. Its just a little on the squishy side...
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

That is really looking quite sharp! Nicely done!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Chubbinius wrote:That is really looking quite sharp! Nicely done!
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I spent a little time yesterday trying to clean up the engine hose routing and came up with a few questions.
The PO had removed the air pump, air control valve, and the cat, and I plugged the air pump holes in the exhaust manifolds. So yesterday I capped off the HDC CTO, capped off the connection on the passenger side of the carb, and ran the distributor directly to manifold vacuum, per many recommendations from this forum. I pulled the air cleaner off to do this, and towards the back of the block I saw some vacuum leaks:
In doing a little research, the corroded silver valve on the right looks like an EGR valve? Or PCV?

And the white one on the left looks like the dual CTO, which from the vacuum diagram leads me the believe that the open vacuum connection (leftmost) should go to the vacuum reservoir? The vac reservoir is the black ball right above, correct? Do I just tee it in the hose already running into the reservoir?
Any expertise would really be appreciated. My area doesn’t need emissions, so I’m trying to simplify the vacuum hoses a little, but not get rid of everything.

1990 Grand Wagoneer

will e

Post by will e »

The silver thing on the right is the EGR.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I think the PO removed the EGR CTO, can I just plug the nipple on the EGR? I’ve read a few things about disabling the EGR vs. leaving it; what does disabling entail?

Also, what is the “F” in the pentagon on the vacuum diagram?

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Okay, an electrical question for you guys:
I installed BJ's LED rear taillight conversion kit. I followed my wife in the wagon the other day and when the headlights are on, both the taillights blink, instead of just the turn signal - just like the flashers are on. When the headlights are off, when the turn signal blinks, the opposite taillight flickers during the blink. The front turn signals operate normally.

I got in touch with Ryan from BJ's, and he said the manufacturer of the LED taillights said it sounds like a failing turn signal switch in the steering column is leaking current. However, I replaced the turn signal switch 6 months ago (albeit with a cheap one from Autozone), and have driven it maybe 6 times since then.

Has anyone had a problem like this? I was inclined to believe its the turn signal switch, but the fact that the front turn signals work fine stumps me.
Any ideas?
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Hspencer

Post by Hspencer »

I know if you install an led bulb in an older vehicle that they will flash really fast if you don’t install a resistor but I would think a kit lick that would have one installed in the circuitry. Sounds kinda wonky. If it were me I’d go back and check the wiring and make sure it has a good ground, of course I’m a moron and rarely read the instructions until after I’ve done the install and it doesn’t work!
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Hspencer wrote:I know if you install an led bulb in an older vehicle that they will flash really fast if you don’t install a resistor but I would think a kit lick that would have one installed in the circuitry. Sounds kinda wonky. If it were me I’d go back and check the wiring and make sure it has a good ground, of course I’m a moron and rarely read the instructions until after I’ve done the install and it doesn’t work!
I did have to put in a different flasher, one made for LED's. I've read that those flashers can go pretty quick, would a bad one cause this?
1990 Grand Wagoneer

Hspencer

Post by Hspencer »

Just took a look at BJ’s instructions for these, did you use the red or yellow wire for the turn signal? Also to you have working for trailer light, could be something interfering there. I haven’t looked at a wiring diagram but I would think that both front and rear park/turn signal would be one circuit, if so sound like a wiring issue. Have you double checked all of the new connections for good contact and proper connection?
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

Hspencer

Post by Hspencer »

Any luck?
1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

Hmmm..
Well, it appears I used both the red and yellow wires. The instructions included with the kit are different than the attached instructions on BJ’s website, and didn’t mention anything about the rapid-fire function.

It is also worth noting that the turn signals and brake lights did function correctly at first. After installation I checked them and all was well, and the Wagoneer passed state inspection too. I will check my grounds to see if anything came loose, otherwise it sounds like it may be the switch.

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

So, thinking about this taillight issue, I got a new flasher with the BJ’s kit. I was supposed to put it in the turn signal flasher location ( I’ll have to check where I put it, I may have messed up and put it in the hazard flasher location). Shouldn’t the two flashers be the same?

If I replace both flashers with one made for LED’s, will the halogen turn signals up front work correctly?

1990 Grand Wagoneer