1965 J200 with Tornado 230

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

twisted frame

Re: 1965 J200 with Tornado 230

Post by twisted frame »

offthebeatenpath wrote:Parting shot:
Nice work on getting your truck back in shape, and extra great work with this photo! Great shot, I love it. What camera/phone?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
offthebeatenpath

Post by offthebeatenpath »

twisted frame wrote:
offthebeatenpath wrote:Parting shot:
Nice work on getting your truck back in shape, and extra great work with this photo! Great shot, I love it. What camera/phone?
I wish I could take more credit for the photo, but sometimes a guy just gets lucky. It’s backlit from my exterior garage lights, snapped with my ultrafly IPhone 6S through a dirty Lifeproof case for that vintage effect ;)

Topic author
offthebeatenpath

I know I've skipped a couple posts here, but summer play time is limited here in Montana and we've been making the most of what we've got.

I have the engine re-assembled and plumbed, but I cannot get this thing to start for the life of me.

First off, I assumed incorrectly that the distributor rotor rotation was clockwise, which it's not. I sorted that out.

I have fuel. The carb may not be super tuned, but I need to get it running to sort the rest out.
I have spark, but it's probably a bit weak. Getting new plugs tomorrow. The points are new, but I didn't set them up, so I'm not sure how dialed they are.
I have air.
That leaves timing. I assume the number 1 cylinder is out front, but now I'm second guessing everything. I have the timing set to where the rotor is pointed right at the cap when the timing mark is roughly 5 degrees BTDC.

What do I do next?
It'll crank and turn, and turn, but all I ever get is a rare pffft and an occasional backfire.

I'm trying to not get frustrated, but I feel over my head right now. :(

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

If it were a V8, I'd say the timing is 180 degrees off, based on your description. Not familiar with the Tornado, though.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
offthebeatenpath

KJ Ryu wrote:If it were a V8, I'd say the timing is 180 degrees off, based on your description. Not familiar with the Tornado, though.
Now that I'm digging further into this, I think you're right. I'll start there and report back.

1964wagon

Post by 1964wagon »

Any updates? I’m having the same issues. Have fuel, compression, air and spark but no fire on my 64 wagoneer. Timing?

Topic author
offthebeatenpath

Sorry, I kind of abandoned this thread because of the lack of interaction on this forum. I found a lot more help with the Tornado engine on the Old Willys Forum.

But, to answer your question, yes it was 180 degrees off.
I got it fired up and running, then realized the head gasket was shot, and I'm 2 years into an engine rebuild and the truck is completely torn down.
Good luck!

5jeepsaz

Post by 5jeepsaz »

We have similar trucks. Great to see your build from the beginning. I'm here trying to find help with a Tornado build. It seems a good refresh is always needed. And then, if you want it to do more...

Topic author
offthebeatenpath

My intention here is not to divert traffic away from this site, but I've found that the FSJ sites (this one and others, and FB groups) don't have much insight into the early engines, especially the 230. Plenty on the 360 and 401, but that doesn't help us much. There's plenty here on the rest of the truck that's helpful, but I've found better info searching elsewhere for the 230.

The Old Willys Forum has been super informative, as they put the 230 in the late Willys trucks and wagons before they put them in the J-trucks and the M715's. Check out this forum, and search around a bit. There's a full thread on 230 service bulletins, and a lot of other cool info over there, plus a few guys that are legit knowledgeable about those engines. I have the same username over there, and a thread for my engine build.

Good luck with the truck!

Early J-Trucks and Wagoneers subforum: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/in ... oneers.49/
Early J-Trucks and Wagoneers build threads: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/in ... hreads.50/
230 Build thread: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/in ... ead.15575/
My 230 thread: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/in ... ost-225062

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

offthebeatenpath wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:31 am My intention here is not to divert traffic away from this site, but I've found that the FSJ sites (this one and others, and FB groups) don't have much insight into the early engines, especially the 230. Plenty on the 360 and 401, but that doesn't help us much. There's plenty here on the rest of the truck that's helpful, but I've found better info searching elsewhere for the 230.

The Old Willys Forum has been super informative, as they put the 230 in the late Willys trucks and wagons before they put them in the J-trucks and the M715's. Check out this forum, and search around a bit. There's a full thread on 230 service bulletins, and a lot of other cool info over there, plus a few guys that are legit knowledgeable about those engines. I have the same username over there, and a thread for my engine build.

Good luck with the truck!

Early J-Trucks and Wagoneers subforum: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/in ... oneers.49/
Early J-Trucks and Wagoneers build threads: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/in ... hreads.50/
230 Build thread: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/in ... ead.15575/
My 230 thread: https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/in ... ost-225062
Yeah, it seems like most of the interest in Jeeps of this size is in the '80-up Grand Wagoneers, with the wood panel siding. Seems that lots of people aspire to own one of those GWs, and the price of prime examples has gone way up. Nice cars, but not my interest. The WJ is a pretty good work-alike to these GWs, if that's what your after. WJs with Quadradrive will be much better performers on the trail too.

The trucks are starting to appreciate, but trucks have always been worth less than passenger cars of similar vintage. You have to own them for what they are, not for the image.

Does Kanter have your head gasket?

Thanks for posting the links. That looks like interesting reading! (at some point).

Cheers Tim
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
offthebeatenpath

I didn't end up getting it from Kanter, but I did get NOS rod bearings from them, another thing that's rarer than hen's teeth.
I got the full gasket set from Walck's 4wd, they had the best price and they occasionally have 10% off sales. Got some NOS rocker arms too.
https://walcks4wd.com/engine-gasket-set ... _2375.html

The gasket set is from Best Gasket, which from my reading seems to be the best kit out there.

5jeepsaz

Post by 5jeepsaz »

Great to catchup on your thread here! The Tornado is perfect for what it is, and where it gets the truck, and was available then. I like it more than the popular swap options available for any old car engine. That evening grille picture is a keeper!