ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ChrisHager

Re: ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

Post by ChrisHager »

I successfully grafted the '97 XJ lower U-Joint style shaft to my J10 upper shaft!

I still had some odd steering issues, even after the XJ U-Joint shaft upgrade. I talked to my mechanic neighbor and he suggested I try adjusting the box, since I was thinking about replacing it anyway (even after rebuilding it). I've adjusted it quite a bit which did seem to help. I also noticed my toe seems to be visually off. I'm going to adjust the toe and see what that does.

Either way, I'm much more satisfied with how it drives now. I'll report back with more details soon.

:-bd

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

Friday night, Elias and I worked on the alignment. I intended to remove the wheels and use some angle iron clamped to the rotors for better measurements while adjusting the toe but time did not allow for this. Instead, I measured off matching lugs in multiple places. I found that initially, the truck was toed OUT almost 3/4". You read that correctly. With a little rust penetrant and some love taps with a hammer, we were able to break loose the adjusting sleeve and bring the toe in. I set it around 3/16" IN for now.

Saturday morning, I washed off the year's worth of dust, filled the tank, and headed west a short ways to work on our rental house. I made a trip Saturday and Sunday, racking up more miles over the weekend than I have in the past year combined. I was upset to realize that it's been almost a year since I've really driven it until I pondered all that I've done in that time to get it road worthy again. Most of the items on this list were new to me and/or involved a lot of leg work finding parts or customizing what I had to work with.

• Rear Brakes
  • Rear Clutch Packs and Spider Gears
  • Rear Wheel Bearings and Seals
  • Power Steering Gear Rebuild
  • Power Steering Pump
  • Upgraded XJ Shaft
  • Toe Adjustment
After all that, I was quite pleased with the way the truck drove. It's much better now - straight and smooth on the highway with minimal play in the steering wheel. I may tighten up the box a tiny bit more but for now, I'm happy with it.

Things to address:

After the first day's round trip, I pulled into the fairly steep driveway nose up. By the time I hopped out and wandered to the front of the truck, 3-4 drops of oil had already hit the driveway. It's DEFINITELY time for some new valve cover gaskets!!

I didn't romp on it too hard during the trip but because of the movement in the clutch pedal and shifter, I'm planning on replacing the engine and transmission mounts.

These are on my short list, though it may be a little while until I get to them. I need to get the F250 spiffed up and out of the garage in a hurry.

My helper - he's sure growing up fast.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Nice update Chris. WOW! Your kidlet is growing waaay too fast.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

Tatsadasayago wrote:WOW! Your kidlet is growing waaay too fast.
Tell me about it! His little brother is almost a year and a half old now too! Heck, he wasn't even born the last time we chit chatted. Time sure passes by quickly, doesn't it?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

WOW! Another?
Dude, you do know what causes them right?

hehe
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

I read that to my wife. Her response: "Fun. Fun is what causes them."

:D

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

Saturday morning, I moved the truck out of the garage and noticed fluid running down the rear tire. I haven't pulled the wheel off yet but I'm pretty sure its gear oil. I have MAYBE 200 miles on the Spicer/Timken wheel bearings and seals.

:banghead:

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

I just realized it's been forever since I've posted anything here in the build thread! I haven't done much work on the truck in quite some time.

It looks like the last time I posted, I mentioned the new axle seal was leaking. I didn't have much time to worry about it as we were prepping to move. In the minimal amount of shuffling vehicles around, the seal stopped leaking. We're wondering if it had a bit of grime on it allowing some seepage that cleared out by moving it. I'll be keeping a close eye on it now that things are slowing down and the weather is getting nice.

The new house has a second garage, to which the truck now calls home! :)

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Is it me or is the Jeep smiling in its new home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

Chris,

Are you still wanting a front license plate bracket?

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182730
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

DarkMonohue wrote:Chris,

Are you still wanting a front license plate bracket?

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=182730
That link isn't working for me for some reason...
ChrisHager wrote:It looks like the last time I posted, I mentioned the new axle seal was leaking. I didn't have much time to worry about it as we were prepping to move. In the minimal amount of shuffling vehicles around, the seal stopped leaking. We're wondering if it had a bit of grime on it allowing some seepage that cleared out by moving it. I'll be keeping a close eye on it now that things are slowing down and the weather is getting nice.
Naturally, I go outside Saturday and step in a puddle of gear oil. Driver's rear. :banghead:

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

ChrisHager wrote:That link isn't working for me for some reason...
It may only work if you're logged in at IFSJA. Anyway, a member there has a front license plate bracket listed for sale in the Parts and Pieces category. Try this:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=77
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

Gwilson78j10

Post by Gwilson78j10 »

Hey Chris do you have any pics of the XJ steering link swap. i need to get my old rag joint out of there.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Gwilson78j10 wrote:Hey Chris do you have any pics of the XJ steering link swap. i need to get my old rag joint out of there.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk