The Four Door Longbed, a continuing project.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

ShawnQ

Re: The Four Door Longbed, a continuing project.

Post by ShawnQ »

This is an awesome build! Subscribing

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Don't want to muddy up your awesome build thread, but did you have any trouble getting the seats in there? I am always looking in efforts to figure out what kind of seats to go with in the GW. Those look nice and do not appear out of place.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

jpswapmohn wrote:Don't want to muddy up your awesome build thread, but did you have any trouble getting the seats in there? I am always looking in efforts to figure out what kind of seats to go with in the GW. Those look nice and do not appear out of place.
well because my whole floor is custom they fit right in. with some brackets i don't see why you couldn't put the front seats in a truck or wagoneer. the back seat however, is a little wide, and probably wouldn't fit in a wagon or cherokee.

will e

Post by will e »

I look forward to seeing it in Ouray.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I realize you have those adjusted down to lower your height, but is there going to be enough compression to keep from bottoming out on the HWY?

Will be curious how they ride, since your truck weighs less than the SuperDuty they were meant for. Great work installing them though!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Stuka wrote:I realize you have those adjusted down to lower your height, but is there going to be enough compression to keep from bottoming out on the HWY?

Will be curious how they ride, since your truck weighs less than the SuperDuty they were meant for. Great work installing them though!

X2 on both

I think he is gonna bottom out and end up needed taller coils. But since they are for a super duty, they might be stiff enough...

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The coil-overs are separate from the lift kit itself, I assume it would be possible to size the shocks/springs appropriate to the truck?

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

the coilovers still need to be adjusted for the proper ride height. right now they ar adjusted all the way down, made it easyer installing them. i was in a hurry when i bolted everything together, and didnt have time to adjust them back up for proper ride height. i am shooting for 4 inches of down travel and 4 inches of uptravel. also i am using 450lb springs, the superduty recomends 500, and they will probably settle some after some miles are on the truck.

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

got some more work done. the truck is now sitting at ride height. fab'ed up a panhard bar, and got my sway bar mounted. bumpstops installed. still need a drop pitman arm, but then she should be ready for the street again!

06_footy

Post by 06_footy »

Looking good!
1977 Jeep J10
AMC 360, Quadratrac, Long tubes w/ cat's deleted, True dual exhaust

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

It looks like your trac-bar and drag link are parallel right night. Which means if you put on a drop pitman arm, you have to lower the trac-bar mount.

Otherwise if you only get a DPA, you will get death wobble from hell because they won't move together. It is extremely important that they stay parallel with each other.

Looking good though!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

Stuka wrote:It looks like your trac-bar and drag link are parallel right night. Which means if you put on a drop pitman arm, you have to lower the trac-bar mount.
it does look that way in the pictures but they are not. you can see the lower bolt for the tracbar mount just above the draglink. the top mount is obscure by the steering box in the pictures, the top tracbar mount is directly below the frame. and is currently lower then the pitman arm. when i built the trackbar mounts i planed for a drop pitman arm, just waiting on BJ's to ship one.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ah, ok. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. Sounds like you have it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Any updates?

How is that coil suspension working for you?

bgott

Post by bgott »

Just went through this entire posting and what an incredible build. I thought it was cool just after the 4 door conversion and engine swap. Now with coils this thing is wicked. Nice work.

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

been a while, everything on the truck is working great. did great on the week long trip to ouray and back. the suspension is working great. it rides so much nicer now, beter than by TJ. right now i dont have any plans to do much to it for a while now.

NORDFORD

Post by NORDFORD »

Any updates on this sweet machine?

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

I have been busy putting miles and having fun with the truck. the modifacations i have done in the last year is to replace the old glass style fuse box with a modern blade type, aswell as update ALL the wireing. also added a steering stablizer. time for it to return to Ouray this year.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Austin4x4 wrote: time for it to return to Ouray this year.
Hot-diggity-dog! :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

comet the dog

Post by comet the dog »

I'm really intrigued by you build here. I think I'm going to use your method for stretching the frame and cab on mine. Mine will be a short bed. Should be quite the challenge for me. Once I begin I'll start a build thread also. Depending on how my finished product is will determine how much farther I'll take it. I'm leaning towards a diesel swap. Should be fun.
Donor vehicles are a 79 j10 and an 88 wagoneer.