1974 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

44bz

Re: 1974 Cherokee

Post by 44bz »

berettajeep wrote:Drove 60 miles today. :D
You've got some guts;) glad to hear yours is roadworthy now. Mine seems reliable enough, I just haven't gotten over the paranoia of driving too far and getting stranded. My furthest round trip is 15 miles! One of these days, one of these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

44bz wrote:
berettajeep wrote:Drove 60 miles today. :D
You've got some guts;)
Took my girlfriend and her 10 & 7 year old kids to Hug Point on 101. Figured if I was going to break down might as well have company. :lol:
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Removed the rear window and all the wiring in the tail gate. The safety switch corroded inside so it would not allow the window to go up. Going to bypass it for now. Also fixed some wires and then wrapped it up. Will attempt to put it back together at work on lunch.

Also I am going to reroute the exhaust exit to 45 or 90 degrees.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

CherokeeJim

Post by CherokeeJim »

I've got a set of side windows with vents if you want to trade for your one piece solid side windows for your Cherokee. I'm interested.
'77 Cherokee 6" lift/6.6L/TH475/BW1339/D44s/4.56s/35x12.50x15s/ Detroit rear :fsj:
'82 J10 6.0L/6L80E/Atlas 3.8/SOA with 2" front springs/ 63" springs inboarded/D60F/Spartan Locker/14Bolt/Detroit 4.56s/42s
'71 J4000 on 81 J10 frame/6bt/4500/203-205/D80F D80R/ARB/Spool/5.13s/42s
'79 Cherokee 4dr 6.6L/TH400/BW1339/D44s/3.54s :fsj:
'08 Tundra 5.7L 3" lift/33s

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

CherokeeJim wrote:I've got a set of side windows with vents if you want to trade for your one piece solid side windows for your Cherokee. I'm interested.
Tempting...Think shipping would be outrageous?
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Been driving it daily now. :-bd

Things I fixed/repaired today.

My washer pump hoses were missing from the pump and the nozzle piece was loose, so I replaced the lines and tighten down the nozzle piece. Also adjusted the wiper arms. Before they would hit the lower windshield trim.

It works now!

Added a tachometer and placed it on the steering column.

Received Serhill's tailgate wiring yesterday ( Thank you Rick!) and ordered a set of tailgate window lift pins from Millerluck http://www.themetalworkshop.com/tgwindowlift.html So when I get those I will dig into the tailgate.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Just got finished replacing my front and rear differential fluid and gaskets and the transfer case fluid out. Also replaced some more fuel line and a fuel filter that was under the Jeep.

Informed by my girlfriend that she wants to go to some park this weekend. It is about 3 hours away. She wants to take my Cherokee. :-bd
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Almost twenty days without an update... Hows the jeep?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Nikkormat wrote:Almost twenty days without an update... Hows the jeep?

Nothing really exciting. Drive it everyday to work. I actually filled it at the gas station ( Well until it starter pouring out some lines that are disconnected last week.) Dreading on dropping both tanks to replace the lines....

I put new windshield wipers on it :lol: In a week I go to change out the exhaust to something a little bit more on the quiet side. The glass packs make it sound nice but there are moments I want it to be quieter.

I have many parts that still need installed but need to find the time to.

Water pump, timing chain, 120 amp alternator, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, intake gasket, oil pump rebuild kit, fuel lines.... list goes on.. :lol:

But also my CJ2A feels neglected, so I drive that every once in a while
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Fun fun! I've gotta do the alternator here soon to but I got a 80 amp motorolla for free so mine should be a little more bolt in than yours.

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Well drove my about 75 miles today (Looking at other jeeps :D ) When I got back home decided to check the oil. Popped the hood and heard what sounded like water hitting something hot. Turned out to be fuel leaking from the linkage of the carb onto the manifold :banghead:
Common enough problem where a little world wide web searched came up with some results.

Not my picture but same problem.

So I will be getting a fuel pressure gauge to start and go from there.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Fuel leaking from the throttle shaft means your float bowls are flooding into the venturis. I would suspect your fuel tank got warm from the exhaust and began to pressurize the lines. On the AFB gas can't reach the throttle shaft from the float bowl unless it's cracked.
The only way it can get to the shaft is from the bowl vents or main circuits, onto the throttle plates then past the shaft.
If your rig doesn't have the three way fuel filter and return line intact I can so see this happening. If your filter and return line are no longer there, you might consider a fuel pressure regulator set to 7PSI to prevent overpressure.
I had that problem with the same carb on mine because the PO ditched the filter and return line setup. Mine did okay until I slowed down, idled or shut down. Dual exhausts running right past the fuel tank only made things worse.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Fuel leaking from the throttle shaft means your float bowls are flooding into the venturis. I would suspect your fuel tank got warm from the exhaust and began to pressurize the lines. On the AFB gas can't reach the throttle shaft from the float bowl unless it's cracked.
The only way it can get to the shaft is from the bowl vents or main circuits, onto the throttle plates then past the shaft.
If your rig doesn't have the three way fuel filter and return line intact I can so see this happening. If your filter and return line are no longer there, you might consider a fuel pressure regulator set to 7PSI to prevent overpressure.
I had that problem with the same carb on mine because the PO ditched the filter and return line setup. Mine did okay until I slowed down, idled or shut down. Dual exhausts running right past the fuel tank only made things worse.

:-bd It has been a while but thanks. I got some more pieces parts to help with this. I bought a single feed fuel line and pressure gauge to see where I am at. ( Right now I have rubber fuel line connected to the carburetor and it is rubbing the air cleaner assembly.)

Also bought fuel line heat shield to cover fuel lines running over the engine.

Although I have yet to see if the return lines are still there, I will probably add a fuel filter after the glass one that has a return line port to it.

Unfortunately with it being so cold my battery decided it no longer wanted to turn the engine over, so I am waiting for payday to replace it.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

With the cold weather upon us, every morning when I would go outside to the Jeep, the interior windows were fogged up. Searching the world wide web I decided to check my vent drains.

This is just the passenger side, since it was easier to get to.

So I vacuumed it out at work.

(Excuse me for the lousy photos)

I still have to do the drivers side.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That blob of caulk near the top in the second photo came from above where the cowl and plenum corner seam is. That's a leak point you should be aware of.
Your photos are very good by the way!.

There is a thread called 'water, water everywhere' that shows several of us attacking the leaks issues. It may help you understand the nature of our leaker FSJs if you haven't already seen it. http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... everywhere
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

That rig is getting there. Good start. Really a good looking model.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

serehill wrote:That rig is getting there. Good start. Really a good looking model.

Thanks Rick. Still need a place and time to put in all the new parts I have. Miss having a garage.
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Yeah I know that feeling My Honcho is piling up on me. I really like the N/T's it's a labor of luv for sure. I recently & unanouncesd obtained a 76 360 t 18. It will make someone a good rig. The N/T's are as classic as they get.

1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I don't think 74's came plumped with a return line... Mine didn't but its a November of 73. You should have a red and a black nylon hard line. The red is vapor and the black is fuel.

Looking good! Keep it up!

Topic author
berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Nikkormat wrote:I don't think 74's came plumped with a return line... Mine didn't but its a November of 73. You should have a red and a black nylon hard line. The red is vapor and the black is fuel.

Looking good! Keep it up!

You are probably right. '74's don't list them but '75's have a 3 port fuel filter.

Not sure what month mine was born as the drivers side door was replaced sometime. My Vin# 26383, guessing yours is lower?

I do have the red and black nylon lines, but I have a second tank and lines (Black and red) and some are disconnected in the rear and I have a selector switch under the drivers floor so I am not sure what is what and what goes where.

I need to spend a weekend dropping both tanks and re-plumbing the whole thing but can't because I have nowhere I can do that. :(
'47 CJ2A My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A