Dave's 76 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author

Re: Dave's 76 Cherokee

Post by 243 »

Welding up the firewall, floor pan patch panels, dash mods and exhaust are all on the horizon. Initially I tried patching the roof rack holes with a scratch start TIG hooked up the the Stickmate and failed miserably and resorted to the 175A MIG and they are sealed but look like warts all over the roof, I am not a very good welder but I am a damn good grinder. Eventually I determined that I was running too many amps on the Stickmate and eventually welded 16ga successfully with the scratch start TIG but it's a pain spending time grinding tungsten. Rather than mess with the scratch start I have almost convinced myself to pull the trigger on an AHP...if ya'll know me or read my posts I hate China'loca **** but I am not willing to dump 1500+ into a TIG. The 200X has received a lot of good reviews over the last few years and Amazon runs a sale once in a while so I am watching and waiting.

I don't expect the AHP to transform me from a dobber to a welder but I do hope to spend less time at the bench grinder pointing tungsten :D

1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

az chip

Post by az chip »

Grinding is good for the soul.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

az chip wrote:Grinding is good for the soul.
Therapeutic, like house painting??? :D

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Found a few setbacks after working most of the weekend on the valve body. I found two of the three accumulator pistons are plastic and almost all sources say to replace these with aluminum. I didn't remember this detail during disassembly or I would have ordered replacements with the other orders.

I was trying to replace the seals in the manual valve pressure switch and pulled one of the plastic orange colored lenses out with the seal, I also noticed there was debris under and on the other lenses so I decided to replace it, for 28 bucks it's peace of mind.

The challenge was finding sources that would deliver parts at least by this Friday, many were into the following week.

I almost gave up when a check ball rolled off the plate and into the case about 9:30 last night, I could not find it and thought I would have to disassemble the entire trans to find one fk'n ball. I was even considering since it was synthetic rather than steel, get another and let the trans chew it up but I would not sleep if I did that. I was not to the point of installing the valve body so I had not put grease on the ball, lesson learned.

The last issue is with the TransGo HD2 kit, the very first step on the valve body is to remove an original valve spring and replace it with the "tightly wound purple spring" in the kit, the spring is tightly wound, the coils are completely compressed so I will call TG today for help.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Not having extra parts after it's all back together is a strange feeling. I would need to find that ball as well.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

There are definitely extra parts but I am pretty sure I have it together correctly. I was was really frustrated that I let that check ball roll into the case but it worked out in the end.

I called TG and they said the spring is tightly wound to minimize or eliminate the valve movement. I don't feel like working on it tonight even though it's about 7' away, I need a break.

I hit the buy button on the Tig welder, it was not on sale but I did qualify for the Amazon Visa for an instant 70.00 gift card so that gets me back to the sale price. I look forward to setting it up and practicing and then getting after the firewall cleanup.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

The accumulator pistons arrived today and I finished up the valve body this evening. At the last minute I decided to add a drain plug and it should be here tomorrow and I can install the pan. I am looking forward to bolting it back to the engine and working on the mount, I should have time so I will probably move the tank to the final location.

az chip

Post by az chip »

As a long time mechanic I need more pictures. Lol

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I can relate to the need for pictures :D

This is all I have today but stick a fork in it, it's done.

The closest I have been involved with an automatic transmission rebuild was gophering tools for a good friend, mechanic mentor when he rebuilt the Powerglide I destroyed when I was 16. And to be honest, this was a fun and gratifying project/accomplishment at the same time.

I am pretty sure if I had the parts on the bench, I could rebuild another in a day provided I didn't damage a seal or drop a ball into the case ;)

After seeing how clean the transmission was during disassembly, I was considering the advice of a professional transmission rebuilder and drilling a hole in the TC to drain the fluid and welding it closed. I am going to price stock TC's before I make the final decision.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I hope the rest of the day goes as smooth as the test fit. The Yukon transmission mount is almost centered on the Jeep crossmember in the stock location, two hole, done, I hope :D

The transmission output shaft is sitting at 3 degrees down, and the pinion 6 degrees up. I would prefer not changing the Yukon mount or lowering the crossmember. However, I also don't know if there will be a clearance issue between the body and the transmission.

Do I need to fine tune the driveline angle now or wait until everything is bolted together and with a full load?

My though is a pair of 3 degree shims would be easy to add later.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I put a tape on the '78, bottom of the frame to the floor pan is 15", bottom of the frame to the top of the xfer case adapter center bolt is 12.25" so I should have plenty of room.

Contemplating a full rebuild on the NP241, it seems to operate smoothly but I would be mildly annoyed if it jumped out of gear due to worn out shift fork pads.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I took my parents out to breakfast and started clearing the top and bottom of the chassis. I pulled the tank brackets out of the Cherokee and moved the tank into place, it sure looks like there is lot of room for more capacity but with the shocks and exhaust I am not sure it's worth changing tanks, at my age I have to recycle coffee before I run out of 20 gallons of gas on roadtrips.

I stuck some PVC between the yokes for a visual and I like what I see. That is a 3" pipe that snakes between the frame and xfer case with about 1/2" clearance so 2 1/2" pipe will be easy.

I also don't think I will need a clocking ring.

az chip

Post by az chip »

That trans looks the same or smaller than a 727 or TH350. The trans tunnel should fit from the visual. Maybe a 1" body lift if needed. Looking great as usual. That PVC driveshaft is the bomb!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

az chip wrote:That PVC driveshaft is the bomb!
^^^Too funny! That seriously made me laugh. :lol:
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Those plastic props should be handy when laying out the exhaust, I have a ball of knitting yarn to simulate parking brake cables.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

The welder arrived today so I read the instructions and set it up, not much to read either. I found some 15ga steel (.072) in the shed that was really rusty and I am out of good flap discs, I found some 1/16" rod that was also heavily rusted but I wanted to try it out. I used Scotchbrite on the rod and worn out flap discs on the plate to remove as much of the bad stuff as I had time. I travel tomorrow so my play time tonight was limited. I used an online calculator and set the machine to 75a, 3sec post flow (almost out of Argon) and 50a, flow is 20 cfh and on the pedal. This is my first time to Tig other than the scratch start.

I was having a huge problem seeing, both the gap and the electrode, the automatic helmet is very old but adjustable and ambient light was pretty poor so I stuck the tungsten in the metal about ten times. I grabbed a drop light, took off my prescription glasses and got closer and that helped. There was another coupon that looked far worse than the first, working top to bottom with travel right to left but weldors will see that I suppose.

I think this will be a bit easier in the daytime and with a better helmet, properly cleaned metal and new rod probably won't hurt either. Feel free to pick it apart, I intend to practice a lot over the next few weeks before starting on the firewall and a lot more before I work on the stainless exhaust.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Doing better than me. Mine looks like three blind monkeys with no hands did it.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Looks pretty good to me too.

But what's the other side look like? :D
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Well, Tig welding on a bench is far different than welding on a vertical firewall. After practicing on 16ga I decided to continue the practice on the firewall. I was semi-successful with a few panels so far and I am almost finished, I think I have four 3/4-1" round holes to patch. I am not bothering with body filler and only coating it with primer to minimize rust until the body is off and on a tip-over jig.

I will definitely be ready for the exhaust, I "think" it will be easier welding it on the bench.

Late Sunday night I received a text from my oldest daughter (24) that she didn't listen and didn't buy the front brakes for her Accord and it's grinding bad and needs help. I told her to get it to my house and I would take care of it. At 5:00am I shined the spotlight out the front door and the car is in the drive and picked up my phone and my youngest (23) sends a text saying her car stalled again in the road, she pulled the ABS fuse and reinstalled it and was driving again.

She continues the text saying she can't pay to repair the car or her bills and suggests she move in with me. Both have been out since high school and my youngest has a lot of drive, put herself through college with a four year degree in Communications from A&M but is more focused on health and fitness. I can't fault her, I received a five year professional degree but prefer project management. But she is not making money to survive as a personal fitness trainer and recently parted ways with a longtime boyfriend that I barely new.

I worked on her Altima for a few days a month ago and it has beat me, traction control and abs lights come on and it goes into limp mode, bucking like crazy, I think it is the ABS module and even though I have the FSM it's totally different than any other FSM I have looked at. I told her to take it to Nissan and Uber. Nissan called yesterday and said hey, the MAS code is on and we see you have a non-factory part...I can't stand dealerships for this very reason, I told them to focus on the ABS and TC lights, the reason she dropped off the car. And figure out why pulling the ABS fuse re-sets the lights and it drives fine for weeks. The problem occurred before the MAS was replaced and it has thrown the code for years, I just replaced it since I was under the hood.

Last night I did a complete front brake rebuild on the Honda, the drivers side has no outside brake pad so the caliper was being ground away and the piston fell out. I let her know she is lucky she didn't kill herself or other people.

Tonight I rearrange the house for my youngest to have her space and tomorrow night move her stuff.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I have not decided if I want the firewall and inner fenders to be body color or black, the advantage of black is I can do it now, it will hide imperfections and the body color can change. I was reading threads on LS1Tech and saw this picture and I like it.

I may choose to use Upol Raptor on the underside of the body and if I do, I would likely spray it up the firewall if I don't see a logical transition point from Upol to paint.