Dave's 76 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author

Re: Dave's 76 Cherokee

Post by 243 »

I don't have any modifications planned other than swapping out the chrome emblems for black yesterday that my brother sent me. I would like to trade the PP1 decklid and spoiler for a naked decklid preferring the look of my old 5.0 Coupe. When the Pilot Sports are worn out I may install MRR 350 wheels, better looks, easier to clean, and 10.5x19 all around so that I can rotate the tires.

1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

az chip

Post by az chip »

I like, A LOT!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Thanks, it's been fun so far although it ony has 600 miles so far.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I spent some time traveling for work and have gotten enough Rental car points to drive whatever. I drove a Hemi Challenge, SS Camaro and Ford GT Mustang. All were nice performance cars. The SS was the fastest but scary and harsh. The Mustang was the most refined, fun to drive and did the best Power Brake burn-outs. LOL

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Life has been crazy, the Red Rocket has over 10K miles, a good portion of that a road trip to visit my sister in Idaho Falls traveling through Santa Fe, Ouray, Silverton and SLC, all new scenery for me and amazing. The speedo hit a c'hair under 160 twice and felt no different than 60, love the car.

The crazy is I smashed the 200 lb barrier in October, first time in 27 years after finding what worked for me, I topped out at 270+ and in 2016 was 260+ and only 66" tall, I was dying, mentally and physically. In the last two years at least six people, four of those family and none blood relatives came down with cancer. I said fk'it, something is going to to get me one way or the other so I bought a Ninja the first week of November and got back on the road, I have 4K miles on it, mostly local rides with a few trips less than a 100 miles from home. I am not new to bikes, started at 5, riding a CB750 next to my dad at 12, and quit when I was 18 and not a day too soon, I was the typical squid.

The Cherokee will get finished but right now is weight training, cutting the last of the fat and living...life is good!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Got to live. Live it your way.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I can't believe it's been a year!

Getting back on a bike was probably the best decision I have made in decades, probably second to a divorce.

For new readers I will be 57 this year.

I put 7,600 miles on the Ninja 400 between October and April and wanted more electronic controls (ABS, TC, Cornering ABS, Power Modes), cruise control, adjustable windscreen and lastly more power so I traded for a Ninja 1000, the Ninja 400 only had ABS. I didn't get the 2020 as planned but got everything except cruise for 4,500 less, this 2017 was a deal and a badass bike.

Then I bought a KLR650 from a friend from high school who crashed it and let it sit for several years. He practically gave it to me and my agreement was he could buy it back for the same price if I sold it no matter how much money I put in it. I proceeded to rebuild it (replace broken or bent parts) although I had it running in a day, inspected, tagged, insured and on the road in a week with zip ties, rubber bands, and a single Hella 500 for a headlight. It is fun and I never intended for it to be an offroad bike, instead wanting something for commuting and quick trips. It is "decent" on the road with 80/20 tires and a recent trip to Houston it cruises fine at 80 and tops out near 95. Top speed is not the goal, but I travel in 75 mph zones so 80-85 is necessary at times. I don't fugg around when passing, especially 18-wheelers, pickups pulling trailers or other potential killers. My friend recently declined to buy it back not wanting to ride any longer and I understand, it may go down the road at some point.

This is not the most recent photo, the center fairing was replaced with one of the few new parts since the other components mount to it including the dash, side cowling and headlight. It has the Shinko 705 80/20 tires, a replacement turn signal and EBC brake pads.

After logging 7,200 miles on the Ninja 1000 between April and October I got the bug to test ride a ZX14R, and within five minutes I knew I would find a way to get one. The engine was so much smoother, the bike slightly lower, a little heavier and stunningly fast. I happened to reach a deal trading my Ninja for the ZX14R I test rode and never looked back and have logged almost 5,000 on the beast. I lost the five-axis sensor of the 1000 so no cornering ABS but the ZX is incredibly smooth and equally as comfortable as the 1000 with some minor mods. The wind protection is not as good and never will be but it makes up for it in other aspects. I like to go fast but my joy is fast for long stretches with curves thrown in, so most of the time you will fine me with a tank bag, duffle bag on the pillion seat and my GPS programmed to a destination, so it's a sporty sport-touring bike for my riding. I don't see selling it until I need something more upright.

The N400 topped out at 119, the N1000 at 155 and I have not reached the limit on the ZX, yet. But the ECU was recently flashed so there are no limits to hold me back other than my balls. The tuner is focused on overall drivability rather than top horsepower but it easily lifted the front tire on a third gear pull at 45 mph, previously it only lifted in second gear so his tune made a difference for sure.

I could not sell the Mustang without paying out of pocket to cover the gap even with my great 0% interest, my intent was to put 1,500 in my 2500HD, sell the Mustang, simplify life and free up driveway space. The Mustang was a blast and I loved it but the bikes have scratched the speed itch. That an living on a damn dirt road it was always dirty. So in one week I traded the Ninja 1000 for the ZX14, traded the Mustang for a white 2020 F150 5.0 4x4, sold the 2500HD and paid off the ZX14 :D

The fugg'n F150 electronics suck and flake out all the time compared to the GT, quite annoying and if I could have a do-over I would have put 3,400 on a credit card and kept the Chevy despite it's 12 mpg. After a great experience with one Ford, I am not happy with the new Ford, at least yet.

And as if that was not enough change in my life, I completed the refinancing of my house dropping a percentage point saving some good money over the long haul as well as monthly.

Wanting to improve the highway ride of the KLR I explored putting 17" super-moto wheels and street tires on it. I also test rode a DRZ400-SM to compare the ride and power to my KLR and decided against a KLX/DRZ400-SM or super-moto wheels on the KRL and continued looking. I missed the Ninja 400 with 46hp, 365 lbs and 55 mpg around town. The Ninja 400 seemed to be the better choice against the KTM RC390 but oddly, the KTM Duke 390 seemed the better choice compared to the naked Z400. I test rode a Duke 390 in Austin and it was a blast, about 44hp and 328 lbs. Then I read about the Duke 690, also a thumper and found one nearby with 5,600 miles and only about five bills more than a 2017+ 390, despite what I type I do have a budget LOL. I didn't ask to test ride the local bike, instead I went to Houston and rode a 2018 last Saturday. The 690 is 73 hp and 325 lbs and I froze my balls off riding in the high 30's in summer armor but I can't see a 390 keeping me smiling for long after testing the 690 and expect to bring home a used 690 this week :D

What the hell does this have to do with Jeeps or my build?

Well, I need room for more bikes in the garage so this may be the tipping point to getting my ass in gear :D

Rear brakes, exhaust, torque converter, upgraded fuel pump, e-brake, swap the body over and clear out the garage.

And I recently stumbled onto this Cherokee on Bring a Trailer and the wheels flat tripped my trigger. Detroit Steel Wheels and fugg'n expensive but I truly like the looks of more wheel and less rubber, if I remember correctly 285/65/18's on an NT. I really like slots but 15x7 and 31's don't compare to this, at least to me.

Last edited by 243 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Been thinking about getting on a bike again. Gave it up when my first kid was born about 40 years ago. I've still got my '72 Z2 that's badly in need of restoring after sitting out all that time. I'd really like to restore it but the Wag comes first.

And yes, I said Z2. Not Z1 and not H2. It's a 750 version of the 900 Z1. Could't tell them apart other than the badges on the sides. Pretty rare in the States. It's a typical 70's tank but at my age it's fast enough. I'll leave the Ninjas to you younger guys. Wouldn't mind less weight though. I've got a '94 KLX 250 for off road with my kids.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

SJ'

I had to Google Z2 and that is a sweet bike, I always liked the style of the Z1 and teardrop tank although I grew up on Yamaha's and Honda.

I hope you find time to get it on the road even if you choose not to ride on the road.

I have contemplated a dirt bike but have almost no places to ride in my area and Texas is mostly private so it would not be ridden much, at least legally.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I finally re-started work on the Heep, it's slow going though. Ordered and installed rear disc brake brackets and have most of the 2.5" SS true dual exhaust tacked up. I need to order a few more pieces for the passenger side tailpipe but I am happy with it for the moment. Next up is buy more stuff: Walbro 450 to replace the pump in the S-10 factory module I burned up leaving it running, then a Terminator-X Max kit and brake/fuel line material.

Edit, I forget that I bought a TC and installed the 4L60 for good, at least until I break it :D

Crazy how far down the rabbit hole I have gone with motorcycles LOL

A shot from my second season of trackdays on my R1, trying to pass another old guy (I am 58) on a Ducati and my buddy who got me on the track about to pass up both of us on his R1M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

It's easy to get sucked down the motorcycle rabbit hole :-D When I'm not working, I'm either searching for parts on my Cherokee project or surfing the web looking for a cool bike to buy. My taste is extremely broad so there are endless options!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E