My 1976 Wagoneer Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
bbuenger71

Re: My 1976 Wagoneer Build

Post by bbuenger71 »

Nikkormat wrote:Congratulations on the shop! Glad to hear you haven't given up, sometimes when a thread goes dead for a month the wagoneer has been given up on.
Thank you! And it definitely has not been forgotten! I stare at it every morning when I leave and every night when I her home. Lol. But this new shop will eventually give me a nice place to work on it when the time comes. I'm thinking of pulling the heads soon and getting them sent out for a little work. I think the valve guides are leaking. It smoked like crazy from the exhaust for about 10 minutes when I started it after sitting for 3 weeks. And smoke like it filled up the entire street with a smoke screen. Lol
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT
Edelbrock non EGR, Holley 600cfm, 32" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's. Lots of Bondo.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7276

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

bbuenger71 wrote: Thank you! And it definitely has not been forgotten! I stare at it every morning when I leave and every night when I her home.
It smoked like crazy from the exhaust for about 10 minutes when I started it after sitting for 3 weeks. And smoke like it filled up the entire street with a smoke screen. Lol
Having access to a real shop makes a world of difference. Especially when its your shop and you know where everything goes.

Lol I bet the neighbors loved that!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Well it's been quite a while since I posted any updates on the Wagoneer. That's because there has been absolutely no progress since the last time I posted in April. I actually put it up on Craigslist about a week ago. Because of that I started to get it ready to drive and sell. Yesterday I put a new battery in it and t fired right up. Moved it from underneath the pine tree that it had been living under for the last 10 months, cleaned up all the pine needles and drove it down the street to the gas station for some fresh fuel. Something happened on that drive, I was falling in love all over again with this heap of metal that has been taking up valuable driveway space for the last year.

This morning we drove it to the cafe down the street from my house. It was the first time my fiancée had ridden in it. While we were having breakfast we made the joint decision that we could not possibly sell it. The craigslist ad was deleted at that moment.

We have decided to get it in good enough condition to have it take our family of 4 camping this summer. Which means mostly the interior and a few mechanical things need the get taken care of. I have given myself a deadline of sometime in the month June to have it in this condition.

Today I continued cleaning up the Jeep and finished pulling the carpet out of the cargo area. Once I got all of the carpet and rubber mat out I realized the floor isn't very flat. It seems to have a hump in the middle. Is this normal? I also found a spot in front of the right rear wheel area that has separated.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453087889.868338.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453087912.032918.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453087926.851461.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I'd say it'd been hit hard in the rear but the body is straight.

Get a picher of underneath the bed.

Maybe it sat down hard on the spare in the past?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

SJTD wrote:I'd say it'd been hit hard in the rear but the body is straight.

Get a picher of underneath the bed.

Maybe it sat down hard on the spare in the past?
I'll get a shot of the bottom this weekend. Im pretty sure it has been in a accident. The jeep is Brown but the inside of the rear gate is blue and the underside of the hood is the same color blue. There is also a decent amount of bondo on one of the rear quarters.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

rherndon

Post by rherndon »

You have a great looking wag - A very close cousin of my '76 (pic below). Love what you are doing and glad you are planning to keep it. My build is finally about done. I will follow along but let me know if you have questions along the way. I have worked on wiring, door/windows/locks and fuel stuff lately and may be able to help with any questions.
'76 Wagoneer w/401; Restoration in progress

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

rherndon wrote:You have a great looking wag - A very close cousin of my '76 (pic below). Love what you are doing and glad you are planning to keep it. My build is finally about done. I will follow along but let me know if you have questions along the way. I have worked on wiring, door/windows/locks and fuel stuff lately and may be able to help with any questions.
I'm in love with your Wagoneer ! I've been following the build. You did an amazing job. I hope for mine to look close to that one day. I have been trying to find a good fabric for the seats and I really like the pattern you got on yours. I may do something very similar. Even tho mechanical should come first, I think my next big expense will be getting the seats re-upholstered. This will simply to make the lady happy and more comfortable in the Waggy. Did you order the fabric directly from Sunbrella or did you have an upholstery shop do it all? If you did buy it yourself, how many yards did you get to cover the front and rear?
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

rherndon

Post by rherndon »

Thank you. I located an original bolt of build cloth, an exact match. I searched everywhere for '76 cloth but no one showed where '76 offered the plaid that matched mine. So I just took a flyer and asked for '77 samples, knowing that my vehicle had a later build #. Found it. It was actually '77 optioned cloth in my '76 build. I don't think they followed rules back then. When they ran out of '76 fabrics, they probably started using the '77.

I used Kevin at http://originalauto.com/. I think I bought 4+ yards of fabric from Original Auto and about 5 yards in vinyl. I would not buy NOS vinyl. It gets tacky and the new vinyl is just the same.

I did look at Sunbrella but I would have probably gone with a simple brown cloth houndstooth or check.

Consider soundproofing doors, front floor area and quarters while you are at it. Big improvement. Family appreciates it.

Keep going!

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

rherndon wrote:Thank you. I located an original bolt of build cloth, an exact match. I searched everywhere for '76 cloth but no one showed where '76 offered the plaid that matched mine. So I just took a flyer and asked for '77 samples, knowing that my vehicle had a later build #. Found it. It was actually '77 optioned cloth in my '76 build. I don't think they followed rules back then. When they ran out of '76 fabrics, they probably started using the '77.

I used Kevin at http://originalauto.com/. I think I bought 4+ yards of fabric from Original Auto and about 5 yards in vinyl. I would not buy NOS vinyl. It gets tacky and the new vinyl is just the same.

I did look at Sunbrella but I would have probably gone with a simple brown cloth houndstooth or check.

Consider soundproofing doors, front floor area and quarters while you are at it. Big improvement. Family appreciates it.

Keep going!
I appreciate the advice! I called original auto and spoke to Tom. He said they should be able to locate my original fabric. Its so ugly that I have to put it back in. One of those things that is so unique and looks cool because it is so ugly. Haha. Here is a picture of the original orange, cream and black striped interior. It would be a shame to put something else in. I have nicknamed the Jeep the "Ugly Duckling". lol.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453422911.323294.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

I just purchased an Edelbrock intake manifold and will be installing it this weekend with the Holley 600 cfm carb I purchased about a year ago. I'm going to be replacing the valve cover gaskets and the thermostat as well. Any recommendations on the thermostat? Should I stick with the stock 180 degree? Or go with a different temp? Anything else I should be looking at doing while I am replacing the intake?
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

rherndon

Post by rherndon »

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/sto ... index.html

I would try a Robert Shaw hi flow pump and thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

I finally got the intake manifold and carb installed. What a headache that was. First off I should have never bought a used intake manifold. I purchased it off of an old IFSJA member "Spudz". I installed the manifold and went to put the carb on and found that one of the holes for the carb studs was all chewed up and someone had filled it and retapped it for a machine screw. At that point I took the manifold back off (I guess I didn't really have to) and was trying to figure out what to do to fix that hole. I ended up just retapping it to a 6mm screw. a couple weeks later I re-installed and everything went perfectly. I also installed a new t/stat, t/stat housing and radiator hoses. I will do the valve covers in the next few weeks. It sure does run so much smoother now!
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

My 1976 Wagoneer Build

Post by bbuenger71 »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456763369.741000.jpg
I'm looking to upgrade the ignition in the very near future. Does this look like a stock distributor for a 76? I believe this is a points distributor. Any way I can upgrade this current distributor?
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

After 3 hours at the DMV today I finally got this pig registered and legal to drive on the road!! So relieved now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457472724.520093.jpg
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

My 1976 Wagoneer Build

Post by bbuenger71 »

Yesterday I had to go meet up with family about 40 miles from me and I was about to get in my reliable daily driver (2016 VW Sportwagen) and then I glanced over at the Wagoneer... I wasn't in a rush to get where I was going and had my fiancée meeting me there so I would have road support if needed. I hung up the VW keys and grabbed the keys to the Wag. She fired right up and we were on our way. As far as the engine goes,it ran flawlessly! I was very pleased. I forgot how noisy it was inside, especially with the front windows down and one of the roof cross supports missing. I'll need to work on that before the family starts riding in her.

During the drive I noticed a clunk. When I let off the gas and then get back on it there is a clunk that sounds like it is below middle of the front bench. It also does the same clunk when accelerating and turning at lower speed. Like going around a roundabout. I'll be looking into that soon. Any thoughts? U-joints? Trans mount?

The fumes are also pretty bad inside the cab. I have to get some holes filled in the rear and get carpet back inside. Hopefully that will help with smell and sound.

But overall it was a pleasant drive. There's just something about driving an old car that soothes the soul. It was a great way to release some stress of the long work week.

I'll be getting my Rustys AAL installed in the next 2 weeks. Updates the come.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

letank

Post by letank »

fumes.... either the exhaust manifold or any parts of the manifold... use the hose technique to find the leaks.. one end of the hose, I use a 1/4" metal tube to a rubber hose on my hear, it is the best way to find the nasty leaks... watch for hot engine parts and while the engine is idling walk the hose all along the exhaust system.

the clunk.... could be any universal on the driveline, the trany mount, or engine mount, to start with the cheap stuff. Engine mount is easy, park against a tree or a telephone pole, lift up hood, put in gear and slightly give it some gas, yes slightly, if one of the engine mount is loose the engine will rock up...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Started installing the Rusty's AAL last night... Boy is that a nightmare to do by yourself. The years of oil leaking from the engine actually helped me out with removing the u-bolts. I sprayed them all with PB Blaster an hour prior to removal and they loosened without any issue. I got one side all buttoned up, now to do the other. I did purchase 2 extra C clamps to make the other side install a bit easier. Hopefully the ride is decent. I just need to get it up a couple inches in the front so I can stop cutting my BFG Muds on the fenders. If its not good enough I will just go for a full spring lift. The Rustys 6 inch looks to be pretty complete and pretty inexpensive ($740). Does anyone have any experience with these?

Also, I planned on doing the AAL in front and 1 in blocks in the rear for now. What do you guys think of doing that? Any adverse conditions? I have the rear AAL but I dont really feel like taking apart the rear spring pack. Was going to wait till I got a full suspension lift to rip apart the rear. I'm not doing any wheeling right now. Just driving it around town for now.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT