My 1976 Wagoneer Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
bbuenger71

Re: My 1976 Wagoneer Build

Post by bbuenger71 »

So a spray foam type insulation would not be a decent patch till I can do it right? Don't have a welder or access to a welder at the moment. Hoping Santa will bring me one this year... Fingers crossed!
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT
Edelbrock non EGR, Holley 600cfm, 32" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's. Lots of Bondo.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7276

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Well, I suppose it's better than nothing at all. If you do go that route for a temp fix, you might consider sealing the foam with mastic or a sealing spray to at least keep the wet from intruding from the wheel well side.

I had to seal up a rotted away lower quarter/rocker on my 74 due to intense dust and exhaust fumes. I taped the outside with painter's tape then put a kitchen trash bag into the quarter from inside then fulled the bag with spray foam. It expanded and conformed to the whole area and the plastic bag kept it dry. I removed the tape after the foam hardened, shaved the bulge to match the sheetmetal then sprayed some home depot black rubber sealant over it.

That temp fix ended up lasting for 3 years of snow country driving! When I finally drove the jeep to the wrecking yard I tore the foam out and found very little moisture had gotten to the foam.
Better than nothing I suppose.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Pulled my right side exhaust manifold last night. That was quite a chore to squeeze it out of that tight area. Will be taking it in to work today to try and extract the broken flange stud. While I was in that are I also pulled a spark plug to see how they looked. Smelled like the engine was running very rich. There was still a little bit of unburned fuel on the electrode. Any tips on tuning the Motorcraft 4bbl? I have the Holley sitting on the shelf but am waiting on funds to buy the electric choke upgrade kit.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The Motorcraft 4bbl is prone to leaking down while sitting as well as the usual sunk float issue. When they work they are a great carb, but when they go sideways they do it bigtime.
The MC 4BBL is one of the more complex old school domestic carbs and probably one of the least understood/known of them.
After so many years I doubt it's just a tuning/adjustment needed.

Oh, and you may not be aware of this, but the intake flange is a spread-bore style so you would need an adapter to the standard Holley 4150/AFB square bore pattern.
The hassle doing this with the factory intake is getting the adapter mounting bolts and studs to line up and gaskets to seal. I got so fed up with leaks I replaced the manifold with an Edelbrock performer.

Just a head's up to save you from anguish.

Jim

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Tatsadasayago wrote:The Motorcraft 4bbl is prone to leaking down while sitting as well as the usual sunk float issue. When they work they are a great carb, but when they go sideways they do it bigtime.
The MC 4BBL is one of the more complex old school domestic carbs and probably one of the least understood/known of them.
After so many years I doubt it's just a tuning/adjustment needed.

Oh, and you may not be aware of this, but the intake flange is a spread-bore style so you would need an adapter to the standard Holley 4150/AFB square bore pattern.
The hassle doing this with the factory intake is getting the adapter mounting bolts and studs to line up and gaskets to seal. I got so fed up with leaks I replaced the manifold with an Edelbrock performer.

Just a head's up to save you from anguish.

Jim
Again, Thanks for the advice. I was aware of the difference in the intake flange. I've been eying the Performer manifold. But again it all comes down to money. So I will probably just hold off on the holley swap till I get the manifold. With the holidays and a new baby arriving in a couple weeks my work on the jeep is going to be very limited.

Anyone on here have a used non egr performer for sale?!
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Went to a couple salvage yards this weekend looking for an exhaust manifold and had no luck. There was not a single Wagoneer or J truck or anything. These things are pretty tough to come by I guess. I did pick up a couple right door weatherstrips off of a 2 door Explorer for $11.00. I'm gonna try the cheap weatherstrip fix that Tatsadasayago wrote about a while ago.

Before leaving the yard I finally spotted an 89 Grand Wagoneer in a gated off area near the front. I guess this area is for vehicles that are not junk and are for sale. I hopped over the little fence and checked it out. They have $2500 written on the window but I'm sure that could be easily talked down with cash in hand. This thing was very clean and straight. Interior was near perfect. Not a single tear in the seats. Just needed a headliner. Paint is shot. Started it up and it ran really smooth. Engine is painted yellow so I'm guessing it has been rebuilt. Makes me re-think the current project I'm working on now... I paid $800 for it and spent probably another $600 in gas, trailer rental and hotel to get it home. Wondering if I should just put this to the wayside and wait for something better to come along? After finding all the bondo on the rear quarters I am slightly discouraged. Gonna take me quite a bit to turn this into a somewhat reliable rig to take the family camping in. I wish I had an extra $2000 laying around to pick up this GW.

1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Looks like a nice waggy, what about talking to the owner or manager about using yours as a down payment for the nicer one?
Worst that could happen is they say no... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

jaber wrote:Looks like a nice waggy, what about talking to the owner or manager about using yours as a down payment for the nicer one?
Worst that could happen is they say no... ;)
Ya that's what my girlfriend was telling me to do last night. Probably just to shut me up lol. I tend to obsess over things and talk about them non stop till I end up getting it. I think I'll make that call today.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

I have not touched the waggy in about 2 weeks now because life happened... I have been blessed with the birth of my second son Logan Scott. He was a month early and spent a few days in the NICU but is back home and doing great now. When all of this went down I surprisingly didn't even have any thoughts of my waggy or have anything else going thru my head besides the health of my son and girlfriend. I walked past it in the driveway but it was just another car to me. I even forgot about my exhaust manifold at the machine shop. oops. Picked it up today and hope to slap it on in the next few days, if i get a break between feedings and diaper changes :P

My boys

1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Congratulations!
And Welcome aboard Logan :)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Beautiful family, congrats...

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Image
This is awesome!! Thank you!! The girlfriend loved it.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Made a little progress today on the waggy. Finally installed the exhaust manifold and got that all hooked up. Replaced 7 spark plugs, I bought 8 but the auto zone thought I only needed 7 since one of the boxes was empty... I have to go back and get that tomorrow. Definitely runs much smoother now. It used to hesitate and want to stall out with heavier acceleration.

Still have an exhaust leak at the flange where the exhaust pipe bolts up. Not sure what to do about that. Taking it to the exhaust shop tomorrow to get the rest of the exhaust replaced.

I got the new wheels and tires installed and found out the front wheels hit the OTR. That bummed me out a little. So I took them off and put the stock ones back on. I think the only thing I can do to get these to fit is some wheels spacers. Am I right? Or is there another solution? I found a pair of 1.25" at 4 wheel parts for $90. Any advice? I hate wheel spacers but I cant afford to get another set of rims. A recent situation with my DD has turned my waggy into my DD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

So I've gotten a few things done recently and discovered a couple more things...

1. I got the wheels/tires installed. I went with the 1.25" wheel spacers. They're not my first choice of things to put on but it was necessary to get these wheels to fit. I plan on putting the stock wheels back on in the future with some M/Ts.

2. Swiss cheese looking muffler has been replaced with a thrush glasspack and 2.5" piping from the y-pipe back. Still have an exhaust leak coming from the passenger side exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe flange. The PO had taken off the heat riser and I think its causing the 2 surfaces to not sit flush. I've installed new donut gaskets and its still leaking. Exhaust shop said they could make me a new Y-Pipe but I didn't want to spend an extra $150.00 to have that done. I'll keep looking for some other solutions.

3. Dash light have not been working and this has been an issue since I've been daily driving it for the last week. I was messing with the headlight switch knob last night and the cluster lights flickered on. I went by Napa and bought a new switch and Voila! They work!

So thats about it for now. Very near future projects will include installing the holley carb and getting it tuned correctly, replacing valve cover and intake gasket and installing Rustys AAL and new shocks. It smells like raw fuel sometimes inside the car. I think that is from the exhaust leak and running too rich. I've checked for fuel leaks and have found nothing. I also found that it has a points type delco distributor not the ford based type it should have. Since the engine has been swapped from a 401 to a 360 sometime during its life I'm guessing its a pre 75 motor? Also found the emissions label on the core support says 1974, which makes me think the PO may have had a 1974 wagoneer as a donor. Where can I find the serial number on the engine to see what I have? Can I just put in any GM based distributor as a replacement?
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Made a little progress in the last couple weeks. Have received parts shipments everyday for the last 4 days. That has made me happy but has made the girlfriend raise an eyebrow :roll: .

1. Rusty's 2" AAL
2. License Plate light from BJ's
3. Battery hold down
4. Dash knob kit from rugged ridge. I can use wipers now! Yay!
5. Exhaust damper. Hopefully that will end my exhaust leaks for now.
6. Front Bench seat cover
7. New windshield installed today
8. And I yanked out my ugly, rotting, cracked dash pad
9. Installed new LED cluster lights. Much better!

I gutted out the exhaust damper and am going to weld up the 2 holes on the side so it will just act as a spacer. Hopefully I get to install the AAL this weekend since I'm rubbing a little bit up front.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Updates?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Nikkormat wrote:Updates?
Sadly I have no big updates :( the Jeep is still in the same state as it was in January. Life has give me a few detours which has taken time away from the fun projects. I quit working for Jeep to explore a new venture of running a performance tuning shop for Audi, VW, Porsche and BMW and that has taken up about 13 hours of my time 6 days a week and my 1 day off is full of my sons hockey games and house work. But I cannot wait to get back in the Jeep. I recently did squire another jeep tho. It's a 1994 ZJ with the 5.2. It is in near perfect condition and I paid only $700 for it! Hopefully in the next month I will get to install the AAL on the Waggy. I will post pics of that process when the time comes.
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Congratulations on the shop! Glad to hear you haven't given up, sometimes when a thread goes dead for a month the wagoneer has been given up on.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.