'79 Cherokee Golden Eagle "tune up"

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Re: '79 Cherokee Golden Eagle "tune up"

Post by CosmicRhino »

WT91 wrote:
:shock:

I never realized I needed something so badly until this picture. He took the universal BJ's harness and added cleaned up stock FSJ connectors?
That was the original plan - with the harness from BJ's, you do need to clean up and re-use your original connectors.

Ultimately, I decided to buy a full harness with brand new connectors (when I originally purchased the BJ's harness, I didn't realize these were available).
Nikkormat wrote:Nope that's from ZM Jeeps, a reproduction stock harness.
This is the one I got - it was $500. http://stores.zmjeeps.com/wiring-harnes ... 79-85-fsj/

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

POR15 is dry and the floors look much nicer.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

A few months ago I found a very straight rhino grill in excellent shape, badge attached, at an antique store in Boise. Naturally I had no choice but to purchase it, sending me down the path of an eventual rhino conversion. I know there are pig nose lovers out there, and to them I apologize, but I care for chrome over plastic.

I already had the round headlights and chrome trim rings from a 60s J truck that got parted out on eBay, and BigJ200 had pie pan plates for me. There was a 65 wagoneer on craigslist in our area that had the core support and 3 piece bumper I needed for the conversion, but upon further inspection it was trashed. My only option was back to cutting tabs and welding a custom solution to make the 79 cherokee core support work, or shipping a 3 piece bumper and core support from montanaoverland.com...

Later that evening I checked craigslist again, and a J300 gladiator had popped up 3 hours earlier. Just what I needed! The previous owner began restoration starting at the front, but didn't get far. Fortunately, that's exactly the part I was looking for.

I only owned it for about 2 hours before the essentials had been removed. Off to the junkyard! You were a good FSJ to me.

The rhino grill that came on this gladiator was a little crunchy in the corner... Anybody looking for one?

The dash will be painted black and swapped into the Golden Eagle. In order to accommodate the wider modern steering column, some cutting and welding will need to be done so this will take place later on. The 3 piece bumper isn't a direct bolt on for the 79 bumper bracket either so I'll wait for that for now too.

May have stumbled into a treat here - the speedo has 5 miles on it. Either broken, or NOS...

Judging by the back of the cluster, it looks NOS! If it works, I'm going to use it.

Last edited by CosmicRhino on Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

If the cab and bed are in good shape, don't crush it.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Nikkormat wrote:If the cab and bed are in good shape, don't crush it.
Most of the FSJs in Idaho would be considered "in good shape" compared to most other places... but it isn't perfect. The driver side floor pan would need cut out, passenger looks fine... bed looked clean too.

However, I have no desire to rebuild this truck. It would need a lot of work to be acceptable again. It came with the anemic Tornado 230 OHC. The truck has a cool body, no doubt, but I've already got a project going - and this would be a big one. Maybe if I had the space to park it for a few years, but I don't; and there are other Jeeps I'd rather build in the future anyways.

If you want it, you can have what's remaining for free! Just got to come grab it from Idaho ;)

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

New black carpet from BJ's going in

Seats all back in, plan on installing ABS door panels

Functional gauge cluster?!

Grill surround taken from the '64 J300, painted to match

May have to paint the rest of the Jeep to match this, it came out a beautiful rich brown!

Last edited by CosmicRhino on Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

:fsj:

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

CosmicRhino wrote: If you want it, you can have what's remaining for free! Just got to come grab it from Idaho ;)
PM inbound.

BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

It was an honor to work on your Jeep. We upgraded and restored hundreds of little things that needed attention after all these years. Mechanically, it's in great condition and ready for many more years of fun. The rest is cosmetic and small stuff.

We will be going on some really fun adventures this spring/summer with the Idaho FSJ Group.

Kevin
AV4x4
American Vintage 4x4
"Where four wheel drives are a way of life"
www.AV4x4.com

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Looking Good! didn't think there would be enough room for a HEI but you did it,nice!

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I love that grill conversion. Where did you get the paint?
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

BigJ200 wrote:It was an honor to work on your Jeep. We upgraded and restored hundreds of little things that needed attention after all these years. Mechanically, it's in great condition and ready for many more years of fun. The rest is cosmetic and small stuff.

We will be going on some really fun adventures this spring/summer with the Idaho FSJ Group.

Kevin
AV4x4
2016 is going to be the best year this Jeep has had in a long time. Thanks for partnering up with me on this phase of the restoration, you did incredible work. I highly recommend American Vintage 4x4.

What a beautiful combination of old Jeep trucks.

DustinLangston wrote:I love that grill conversion. Where did you get the paint?
I love it too! BigJ200 sourced the paint so I'm not sure where it came from, but I know we used the original Sable Brown. You can get it here.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch- ... ll-models/

The rain really brings out the original color, even amidst all the patina and fading over the years.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Random question for you. When you post pictures on this thread, how do you get them to show up? How are you posting them?
On my thread I go below, click on attachment, upload the photos and then place them inline. All it does is place a link in the post but you have to click on the link to view the photos. In your build they just show up. Can anyone help me with this? I much prefer them just showing up. Thanks.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Where are your pics stored?

I use Photobucket. When you click on "Share" you get four choices for links. You click on "Direct" and the URL is copied. Then paste it in your post: Click on the "Img" button and Ctrl C.

Maybe there's a better way.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

DustinLangston wrote:Random question for you. When you post pictures on this thread, how do you get them to show up? How are you posting them?
On my thread I go below, click on attachment, upload the photos and then place them inline. All it does is place a link in the post but you have to click on the link to view the photos. In your build they just show up. Can anyone help me with this? I much prefer them just showing up. Thanks.
I use a similar method to what SJTD outlined.

Personally, Imgur.com is my photo upload service of choice. You can create an account for free in order to save your photos in albums, or you can upload photos without an account.

Once photos are uploaded, you need to obtain the "direct link" for your photo. The URL to the direct link is what you place between the image brackets [ img ] IMAGEURL [ /img ]

In order to obtain the "direct link" for my photos, once they are uploaded into Imgur I right click on the photo I want and select "Copy Image URL". Then I paste the URL I have copied into my forum post between the Image

You can try it out with this image in this post. If you right click on the image above, and select "Copy Image URL", you will copy this URL: http://i.imgur.com/CiPQ8AD.png - if you paste in your browser bar, it will load a page which contains only this image. If you paste this URL in between [img] brackets in a forum post, it will display inline.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Do you still have to reduce the picture to a max 1000 pixels before you post it?

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I was at the shop when they had just finished your project. Looks and sounded great!

Looking forward to some jeep outings with another Jeep in the troop.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

jeepman1

Post by jeepman1 »

Tune up looking good!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

DustinLangston wrote:Do you still have to reduce the picture to a max 1000 pixels before you post it?
No