GL's 1970 J4800 Gladiator

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
glake

Re: GL's 1970 J4800 Gladiator

Post by glake »

Dusty wrote:I need to come down to North County for a new exhaust I thinks? :roll:

This is a really cool build.
Come on down!
1970 Jeep Gladiator: Daily Driver!
1963 Jeep Wagoneer: In progess
1972 Jeep Wagoneer: waiting in the wings

nightglide

Post by nightglide »

Let me know how column works out. I'll need one next year but the reviews were not great on summit one
77 J10 360/T18/Dana20
Fitech fuel injection
4" Lift....3" body lift....35" ats

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

nightglide wrote:Let me know how column works out. I'll need one next year but the reviews were not great on summit one
Will do.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

Radiator, condenser, transmission cooler, and aux. fan are all mounted. It was a tight fit, but it'll work. Also got the shroud in.

Had to do a little repair on the driver's door at the wing window. Both doors and the hood head out to the blaster today.
Last edited by glake on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Nice looking work on the radiator and fan mounting.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Dude I was gonna do the same thing on the heater controls!! Glad to see it fits and looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

hutcho wrote:Dude I was gonna do the same thing on the heater controls!! Glad to see it fits and looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Had to fill it in a bit to make it fit. The capillary tube was also too short for my original mounting spot for the air unit, so I had to move it closer to the controller, which led to cutting and flattening some of the firewall... snowball.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

Fabricated my bumpers. On the back I retrofitted a receiver hitch I picked up at the junkyard as the base and created a skeleton frame off of it. I left the top open and plan to cover that with diamond plate for a step.

For the front I decided to keep it simple and went with a piece of scrap channel from the metal yard. It looks like an old Home Depot shelving unit. Was able to mount my tow bar to it should I ever want to flat tow it (might make it to Ouray one of these days). They aren't in the picture, but the front mounting brackets also have a piece that ties it into the frame.

Redesigned the spare tire mount and got it fit in the bed.

Spent the past few weeks taking care of some final body work. It's not perfect, but good enough. While finishing up the front, I got to thinking about the pie tins. I have them, but kinda like how it looks when people have put lights in them. I did some research, but it seemed to be too complicated until I happened to find these Pro Comp lights at 4 Wheel Parts. They're all plastic, but the silver ring unscrews allowing the grill to be sandwiched between housing and the ring. The light fit almost perfectly with just a slight enlargement of the hole so that even if I decide I don't want them, my pie tins will still mount. If you look closely, you can see that the there is a gap between the light and the ring. I just did the rough fit, and later I will look at possibly shortening the ring to make it more flush.

I got everything shot with color except for the doors and hood (still at the blaster). Decided to go with the two tone scheme. It looks black in the pictures, but it's actually a gray metallic. First time I've shot base/clear. I've always shot single stage in the past. Base/clear is kind of a pain - lots of gun cleaning! I'm no professional painter, so just like my body work, it's good enough for me. I painted yesterday and I had a couple of mess ups to fix today. One on the cab I was able to fix, but the other, on the rear of the bed tail light section, would not cooperate. I'll have to let it cure a bit and then sand it off and try again. Color sand and buff tomorrow!
Last edited by glake on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

Put the final touches on the exhaust.

Swapped out the stock front shock towers for F250 towers.

Plumbed up the fuel system and trans cooler lines. Also got the preliminary wiring done up. Cab goes on today.
Last edited by glake on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

Got the bed lined. I used Raptor liner. Their truck bed kit is not enough for a long bed J truck. I had to go back and get a second kit. Ended up using 7 quarts to get good coverage.

Covered the floor and firewall with Tite Seal from Home Depot and then covered the entire area with foil insulation.

Made my Home Depot headliner using indoor/outdoor carpet glued to foil insulation. The foil made it rigid enough to to get up there, and yet flexible enough to manipulate into place. Once it was up, I pried it down in the back, shot spray glue on the ceiling and headliner back, and stuck it back up there. It came out pretty good. Hopefully the glue will hold up and it won't sag on me. I used the 3M high-strength glue that says it will withstand high temp.

Finished up carpeting the cab. I decided to use the same indoor/outdoor carpet. Can't beat carpeting the entire cab and ceiling for $30.
Last edited by glake on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I just read your entire build.... outstanding work there sir. Hope to get to see it in person one day, keep up the tireless work.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

az chip

Post by az chip »

Dang....
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Matt24601

Re: RE: Re: GL's 1970 J4800 Gladiator

Post by Matt24601 »

glake wrote:Got the bed lined. I used Raptor liner. Their truck bed kit is not enough for a long bed J truck. I had to go back and get a second kit. Ended up using 7 quarts to get good coverage.
[img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1239_zps5escvd5e.jpg[/img][img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1240_zpsougjbsvx.jpg[/img]

Covered the floor and firewall with Tite Seal from Home Depot and then covered the entire area with foil insulation.
[img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1242_zpsdbx6vown.jpg[/img]

Made my Home Depot headliner using indoor/outdoor carpet glued to foil insulation. The foil made it rigid enough to to get up there, and yet flexible enough to manipulate into place. Once it was up, I pried it down in the back, shot spray glue on the ceiling and headliner back, and stuck it back up there. It came out pretty good. Hopefully the glue will hold up and it won't sag on me. I used the 3M high-strength glue that says it will withstand high temp.[img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1243_zpsegn79inr.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1244_zpsy9twfczx.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1245_zpsebnfghkh.jpg[/img]

Finished up carpeting the cab. I decided to use the same indoor/outdoor carpet. Can't beat carpeting the entire cab and ceiling for $30.
[img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1247_zpshuphly0b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1250_zpsiyesirkb.jpg[/img][img]http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg509/Gerald_Lake/Gladiator/IMG_1251_zpsbbqu62rs.jpg[/img]
What's your impression of the Raptor Liner? I'm planning on spraying the interior of my 83 Wagoneer with it.

Also, you said you used 7 quarts for good coverage. Any ideas on the size relationship between your bed and a Waggy floor?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
'83 Wagoneer / 360 V8 / DFW, TX / Stock...for now :fsj:

Topic author
glake

Re: RE: Re: GL's 1970 J4800 Gladiator

Post by glake »

Matt24601 wrote:
glake wrote:What's your impression of the Raptor Liner? I'm planning on spraying the interior of my 83 Wagoneer with it.

Also, you said you used 7 quarts for good coverage. Any ideas on the size relationship between your bed and a Waggy floor?

Since I've sprayed, it's hardened up nicely. Seems to be a good product. After closer inspection, I have a few areas that are light coverage, but that's probably my fault since I've never sprayed bed liner before. I've still got one quart left and might pick up one or two more and touch up with a brush and roller.

The truck bed is a full 8x6 (4ft at the wheel wells) and my Wagoneer is roughly 5x10. If my math is correct, they are pretty darned close in terms of sq. ft. If you're just spraying the floor, 4 qt. might do it. Doing the sideways and all the crevices really ate up a lot of material.

Matt24601

Post by Matt24601 »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll get 6 quarts and see how far it gets me.

'83 Wagoneer / 360 V8 / DFW, TX / Stock...for now :fsj:

randyre

Post by randyre »

What is the fan shroud you're using? Can you expound a little on the fitment of the radiator. Jeep Buick Rads are like hens teeth now, and the shroud doesn't exist at all, would be nice to have an option if it doesn't require too much fabrication and chopping.

Randy
"Brutus"
69 Gladiator w/ Utility Box
Buick 350-4V, HEI Ignition
Front - GM 10 bolt w/Front Disc Brakes and Warn hubs
Rear - GM 10 Bolt 8.5" Trac-Loc
Custom front bumper with converted B-17 Bombay Winch

The Story http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150072

EMS Helicopter Pilot Air Evac EMS.
http://www.lifeteam.net

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

man that is looking great!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I'm doing a similar dash for my '84. However, I had a bunch of holes to fill in. I like your project a lot and let us know how the EFI works.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

randyre wrote:What is the fan shroud you're using? Can you expound a little on the fitment of the radiator. Jeep Buick Rads are like hens teeth now, and the shroud doesn't exist at all, would be nice to have an option if it doesn't require too much fabrication and chopping.

Randy
The radiator support on both my Gladiator and 63 Wagoneer did not provide enough room for an aftermarket radiator. I noticed on a later model Wagoneer (84, I believe) that a buddy and I picked up for parts, that the radiator support was notched. The radiator is a universal from Summit Racing, part #SUM-381328. I got the largest I could get to the width of the support opening. It also has a built in trans cooler. The shroud is also a universal from Summit, part #SUM-380328-SH. It's basically a model that you put together to fit. It took some trial an error to get it right as you can see from the extra holes in the bottom.

The picture below shows the unmodified support.

In this picture you can see that I cut about 1-1/4" from the support to move the rad forward. I reused the lip I cut off to give it a nice finished edge. The two bolts on top hold it in place with a couple rubber pads between the support and the rad.

I reused some sort of support bracket, can't remember what it was for and welded it to the bottom of the rad support and used 3 generic body mounts that fit the groove between the radiator wings perfectly. In the first picture you can also see 4 small rubber pads on the sides that keep the radiator centered.

For hoses, I bought universal stainless steel hoses, part #MMAH-U36C. They were pricey, but I didn't feel like spending hours trying to find the perfect fit. I should have the in place in the next couple of days.
Last edited by glake on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
glake

Post by glake »

What a week! I feel like I'm in the home stretch. Got the paint done, some glass in, a start on the wiring and plumbing, and more.

With the help of a friend, we installed the split window I got from BJ's. I decided to go ahead a get a new windshield. The glass company had to order 4 different ones. The first two were scratched, the third was cracked, and the fourth is somewhere in transit, they think. I ended up taking the first one as the scratch was only about an inch long and in a location it really won't even been seen. They nocked $20 off the price. It should be installed tomorrow.

Installed the AC/Heat and dash. Ran the dash vents and put the original radio back.

Laid out the rat's nest. I'm using the Kwik Wire 22 circuit harness. Mounted the fuse panel between the steering column and parking brake.

Decided to get the rear of the truck wired first so I could get the bed on. I installed diodes so that it can be flat towed. Also included both a 6 way and 7 way plug with trailer brakes, charging and back-up lights.

Mounted the bed, installed some trim, hooked up the aux. fuel tank and got the spare in place.

The new tailgate hardware all came from Brothers Truck. I've found a few things that were used on this truck were the same as many Chevy's from the 50'2, 60's and 70's.
Also ran electric into the bed for a camper. I've got one for a dome light that will work with the cab, and two hot wires for lights, etc.

Last of the painting is done. Shot the doors and then hung the hood and shot it.

Finished up installing the brake lines, booster, proportioning valve and bled the system.
Last edited by glake on Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.