"New" Jeep/New Jeep owner

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
swanny1911

Post by swanny1911 »

Hi everyone. My Grandpa wanted his Jeep to go to a good home so here it is. It's a stock 1988 Grand Wagoneer. It was in his garage for awhile.

I hauled it almost 300 miles across Idaho on a Uhaul trailer. I pulled it with my 2011 Toyota Tundra and everything worked great!

Here it is after a much needed bath and a new fuel pump. I also had to replace the rubber fuel lines. They were leaking all over the place. I used 5/16 inch fuel line.

I installed a new pioneer stereo as the old radio did Not work and I wanted something more updated. It was pretty much plug and play from crutchfield. It came with a "frame" and wiring that worked really well. I need tunes while I work. I also put new 5 1/4" pioneer speakers in the back that fit perfectly.

My Grandpa told me there is a problem with the tailgate key switch. I got into the tailgate, which wasn't too bad, and found the switch had been modified. Someone superglued the switch and removed the bracket that holds the switch. I'm in the process of trying to get a new bracket from some friendly folks on this forum. I have a switch kit from BJ's Off-road to install when I get all the parts. Not sure if the orange wires are stock.

Other projects include installing a rebuilt carburetor from nationalcarburetors.com. I am also going to do a TFI upgrade with a Streetfire ignition and new spark plugs of course. Also, if I win the lottery, a 4" suspension lift, disc brakes, bigger tires (gotta keep the original rims), and maybe a hydroboost brake upgrade.

This should be fun and I'm sure I will find more things that I want to add as I move along. I hope all of the pictures worked!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1988 Grand Wagoneer, AMC 360, Streetfire ignition, TFI, 2" body lift, Holley Sniper, Stainless Brain Fabrication Fuel Tank, Evil Twin Fab spare tire carrier. :fsj:

Tatsadasayago

Re:

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That is a fine Waggy you have there!
Welcome to the madness and best of luck!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
swanny1911

Re: "New" Jeep/New Jeep owner

Post by swanny1911 »

Thank you

1988 Grand Wagoneer, AMC 360, Streetfire ignition, TFI, 2" body lift, Holley Sniper, Stainless Brain Fabrication Fuel Tank, Evil Twin Fab spare tire carrier. :fsj:

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

She cleaned up nicely. Where abouts are you in the Northwest?

I am in Spokane, WA.

Topic author
swanny1911

Post by swanny1911 »

I'm in Lewiston, ID.

Re:

Post by 243 »

Very nice!
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
swanny1911

Post by swanny1911 »

swanny1911 wrote:Hi everyone. My Grandpa wanted his Jeep to go to a good home so here it is. It's a stock 1988 Grand Wagoneer. It was in his garage for awhile.

I hauled it almost 300 miles across Idaho on a Uhaul trailer. I pulled it with my 2011 Toyota Tundra and everything worked great!

Here it is after a much needed bath and a new fuel pump. I also had to replace the rubber fuel lines. They were leaking all over the place. I used 5/16 inch fuel line.

I installed a new pioneer stereo as the old radio did Not work and I wanted something more updated. It was pretty much plug and play from crutchfield. It came with a "frame" and wiring that worked really well. I need tunes while I work. I also put new 5 1/4" pioneer speakers in the back that fit perfectly.

My Grandpa told me there is a problem with the tailgate key switch. I got into the tailgate, which wasn't too bad, and found the switch had been modified. Someone superglued the switch and removed the bracket that holds the switch. I'm in the process of trying to get a new bracket from some friendly folks on this forum. I have a switch kit from BJ's Off-road to install when I get all the parts. Not sure if the orange wires are stock.

Other projects include installing a rebuilt carburetor from nationalcarburetors.com. I am also going to do a TFI upgrade with a Streetfire ignition and new spark plugs of course. Also, if I win the lottery, a 4" suspension lift, disc brakes, bigger tires (gotta keep the original rims), and maybe a hydroboost brake upgrade.

This should be fun and I'm sure I will find more things that I want to add as I move along. I hope all of the pictures worked!!!

So a little follow up. I did the TFI upgrade and put in new spark plugs gapped to 0.45. I also installed the Streetfire ignition. The jeep wouldn't start so I adjust the distributor to a spot where the jeep would start but it still sounded ruff. I need to adjust the timing for the new components and get the carb tuned.

Only problem is that when I turn the key off, the engine keeps running. Per the instructions I was supposed to attach the small red wire to the wire that came off of the original ignition coil, which I did. I traced the wire to a yellow wire that went to the old ignition module. This wire is also attached to the starter relay. From what I have read since the install was not to attach the small red wire to the starter relay. I now need to find a 12 volt source from the ignition. I have no idea which to use as I am not the greatest with electrical systems. If anyone can point out a source on an 88 wagoneer I would appreciate it. I want to try another power source before I try the diode that can with the Streetfire ignition.

Another issue came up on the passenger side air injection manifold. A part of the system was broken off. I removed the air manifold using PB blaster and heat (from running the engine). The old system was pretty gunked up.

I will plug the holes in the manifold and will decide later whether to restore the AIR system.

MadMax78

Re:

Post by MadMax78 »

Great looking ride. Glad to see it's staying in the family.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

will e

Re:

Post by will e »

Howdy from Phoenix!
Nice looking ride. I am glad your grampa gave it to a good home.

Do you have emissions checks where you live? I normally don't promote removing emissions equipment but I feel the AIR system is not worth the complication it adds.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
swanny1911

Post by swanny1911 »

No emissions where I live. I plan on removing the air system.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Stuka »

Cleaned up nicely!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
swanny1911

Post by swanny1911 »

My jeep is running pretty good now except it has the dreaded overheating. I'm going to replace the thermostat with a high flow one. I took the cap off of the radiator while the jeep was warming up and the coolant didn't move much at all. As it got warmer, the fluid level rose fairly quickly. This was before the engine was warmed up. I will take a look at the water pump. It looks like the original as the casing is rusty. After I replace the t-stat and hoses I will give the system a good flush. Before I get into that stuff I'm going to replace the hood insulation with dynamat. I'm tired of my bald forehead hitting the insulation and making me all itchy!! I'm also working fixing the many leaks too.