Prairie Gold 1968 Jeep Super Wagoneer and my 66

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
66stepside

Prairie Gold 1968 Jeep Super Wagoneer and my 66

Post by 66stepside »

She is Prairie Gold, unrestored, but a repaint did happen after a minor accident in the early 1990's. The hood was replaced back in the early 1990's at that time and some type of Ford Hood scoop was added with a hole cut into the hood. Whoever did the hood scoop did a clean install, but the chrome trim on the hood disappeared, or was not put on to the replacement hood.

I posted this one for the PO about 4 years ago on the motherboard, but no one wanted it. So there it sat all this time. I snagged it and put it into storage.

As she came out of the trailer from Illinois:

It had not been out of the garage/shop since somewhere around 1994. She was a dirty girl.

The front bumper looks too wide- like it was from a J truck. The grill has been repainted and is not period correct. So I can only think that it too was damaged in the minor accident in the 1990's. Behind the grill is yellow- it should be black.

It came with the stock hubcaps, too. But are they? Did jeep have two styles of Super Hubcaps? The brochures show a different style of hubcaps, they're more conical, not flat.

I did the unthinkable and gave it a quick bath. But I did not touch the vinyl top.

Someone snagged the the clock.

My plan was to get it going again, but this one had to go due to the herniated disc. So she should be gone this Sunday. The buyer is some kind of car appraiser. He's connected to all the major players in the automotive community.
Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

44bz

Re: 1968 Jeep Super Wagoneer

Post by 44bz »

Wow, you find some cools jeeps. Is the 327 still in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

44bz wrote:Wow, you find some cools jeeps. Is the 327 still in it?

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll run with minor work, too.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Very cool, looks like the 4bbl air cleaner too. What's all that stuff on the driver side wheel well? Looks like a light socket and several springs.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Yep! It seems to be some kind of backyard engine light set up. Crazy right!?

will e

Post by will e »

That looks like a good start for a project. Sweet.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Yeah, but I sold it.

Apparently Wagonmaster, or another big named outfit had been wanting it since it first popped up long ago, or so the new buyer said. Anyway, the new owner in Lake Stevens, WA. has big plans for it.

Topic author
66stepside

1968 Jeep Super Wagoneer

Post by 66stepside »

She was loaded up today and now it's on her way to Lake Stevens, WA.

The shipper high centered it twice and didn't want to listen to anyone's opinion regarding angles of approach, or angles of departure. He also did not come prepared for a non-op vehicle. So what should've taken 30 minutes took an hour and a half.

This is where it got caught up the first time on the cross member:

Lol, the jeep was stored at the highest point in the unit- the shipper could've had a straight shot into his trailer with gravity doing the bulk of the work, but opted to use an alt. route with almost a 90 degree turn to make it to the trailer.

This next one is just before it got caught up on the receiver hitch. Nice.

Whoa, mid-west gold.

I've never seen a shipper so careless, and unprepared.

I took a ton of video, but can't get it to upload via the ap.

By sheer coincidence there was a guy with a Dodge Ram Charger (Blazer-like SUV) with a Cummins 12v that stepped up to help out.

The shipper had a funky pulley set up angled all wrong- so if left alone, the Wagoneer would've slid right off the side of the trailer. I told the shipper that the cable needed to be centered and what would happen to the jeep if it wasn't centered, the shipper only fixed the problem when the random Ram Charger guy backed me up. Crazy, just crazy.

I didn't bring my ball hitch because I thought the shipper would be better prepared, so Ram Charger Guy pulled the Super up with is rig using the pulley set up and his receiver ball.

Sheesh. Glad that's over.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The new owner has been detailing misc. things.

I wonder how much "stuff" accumulated the the air ducts after sitting so long in that barn.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Wow, progress already! I realize it's out of your hands but you sure have the knack for finding awesome Wags. It makes me wonder if there are any Supers in, say, a 100 mile radius of Boston, MA. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any at all but at the same time, you never know since it's special vehicles like this that get tucked away, whether that be in a rust-heavy region or not.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Prairie Gold 1968 Jeep Super Wagoneer

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Wow, progress already! I realize it's out of your hands but you sure have the knack for finding awesome Wags. It makes me wonder if there are any Supers in, say, a 100 mile radius of Boston, MA. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any at all but at the same time, you never know since it's special vehicles like this that get tucked away, whether that be in a rust-heavy region or not.

Did I name this thread the same as the red Super!? I am such a geek. Wow. I have to figure out out to change that. Sorry.

That guy, Greg, is a collector. He's got a writer already lined up for some write up for some automotive magazine and everything. He's not a Jeep guy, but into anything unique and "rare". He's not wasting any time whatsoever. He started buying up Super parts (clock and hood ornaments) before he sent me the final payment.

I'd say there probably are a few Supers in the area if people took care of them. Boston is a rust zone and from what I remember, there are not a lot of older cars on the road there due to it being part of the rust belt.

Years ago, maybe 20, or more, I bumped into a guy while I was at the wrecking yard and he saw my 66 truck and he struck up a conversation about jeeps.

After a bit, he tells me about how he owns many acres and lets a guy live in his property for free in exchange for keeping the acreage brush free, clean, etc.

He then adds that he has a Super Wagoneer that he lets the guy use on the property to putt around in and drive down to the mailbox and back.

I kind of laugh it off like he's pulling my leg, but ask him if he'd sell it, or let me come take a look at it. He said no, and came up with a few excuses as to why he wouldn't let anyone on his property. We did trade phone numbers, though.

About a month later, I hit up the wrecking yard and see a 68 Super Wagoneer, White, with a red interior sitting out in the wrecking yard with only the emblems missing.

I root through the center console and find paperwork, registration, bills and some hand written notes- the phone number on one of the bills is the same phone number as the number of guy who told me he'd never sell his. Um, what?

What the heck!? He got 150.00 from the wrecking yard for that Super. I certainly would've paid more than that for it. So I stripped it clean and sold off what I didn't use, or want.

I could tell you two similar stories about some 1414X models. I even found a 60's E type sitting in a garage, a 60's corvette stingray lost in the weeds. 60's uncut Broco. The owners didn't want to sell.

The point of my rambling story is that they ARE out there.

I think it's cool to find the neglected and discarded stuff and be there at the right time when the rig is worth saving and the owner finally decides they won't get to the resto so it can be saved. What can't be saved whole can be used to help keep other rigs on the road.

This is still one of my favorite finds:

Last edited by 66stepside on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

Who was the shipper? Just PM it to me. I've seen some really crappy stuff from shipper guys. Caved in beds. Bumpers pulled out on the ends. Doors bent and glass broken and that's just stuff that came to me personally.

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I never got his company's name. He's based out of Portland. I am pretty sure he was the brother of the purchaser.

Here’s my 1966 Super Wagoneer: 1414DOO29
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.