Greetings from Argentina. Check this wagoneer please!

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
gonzalocatalino

Greetings from Argentina. Check this wagoneer please!

Post by gonzalocatalino »

Hello, iam from BA, ARG. Dont own any jeep...yet.

I was in the search of a gladiator 4x4, and found this specimen, wich is extremely rare here in the deep south.

The Wagoneer did not reach this lands, only the jeep pick ups (named IKA Gladiator, super V, super X and later replaced with the Jeep T80 and T1000 names). I always loved the wagoneer, but never have the chance to see one in person, and this week i just found this weird frankenwagon.
Is in pretty bad shape, and the rear door/gate seems to be handmade.
What can the jeep fans tell me about ? it is supposed to be from 1968...

Thanks a lot

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Argentina. Check this wagoneer please!

Post by Stuka »

The rear mount AC is interesting. I remember last time I was in Mexico I saw a few interesting Wagoneers. A few that had been cut into trucks.

As for the year of this one, hard to tell, as several parts from various years. It does have the rounded flares up front that we never got here in the USA.

Looks like it would be a lot of work. But the body doesn't look that bad, it just needs to be completely stripped and repainted.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

I am in awe. What a great piece of history and must have quite a story how it made it to the lands of Argentina.

If you decide to save it... and you need parts (small enough that they can be shipped from USA) ... let me know what you need.

In addition to the limited xtra parts I have... there is a scrapyard 40 miles from me that has 9 Jeep pickups & Wagoneers from the 60s & 70s era that still have a lot of usable parts.

There should be a tag on the front drivers door column (you should see the tag on the right column just as you open the door).

That tag should have the year & VIN (Vehicle Id Number).

There are a few members here on FSJ Network that would be interested in the info from that tag... whether you decide to save it or not.
Last edited by 1971J4000 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
1971 J4600 with Dauntless 350

Topic author
gonzalocatalino

1971J4000 wrote:I am in awe. What a great piece of history and must have quite a story how it made it to the lands of Argentina.

If you decide to save it... and you need parts (small enough that they can be shipped from USA) ... let me know what you need.

In addition to the limited xtra parts I have... there is a scrapyard 40 miles from me that has 9 Jeep pickups & Wagoneers from the 60s era that still have a lot of usable parts.

There should be a tag on the front drivers door column (you should see the tag on the right column just as you open the door).

That tag should have the year & VIN (Vehicle Id Number).

There are a few members here on FSJ Network that would be interested in the info from that tag... whether you decide to save it or not.
Thanks!

Restore this awesome car will be very hard and expensive here. Iam talking to the owners wife these days (owner is truck driver)
What i know from now, is that the engine as been replaced for a tornado 230 (wich is the most common engine on all IKA jeeps) and another issue is the distance. We are more than 1000 miles appart .
I will keep the post updated!

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

Completely understood. It would be a mighty project here too.

I wonder if you could ask the owner's wife if she would take a picture of the tag and send it to you.

It will look something like this...

In my opinion... unless there is major rust in need of repair... I'd clean it up... rub the whole thing down with degreaser... and put a rust inbiting clear coat over it just the way she is. As long as no broken glass or leaking window & door seals...this works out great because you do not have to disturb the seals & the glass.

The way she looks right now... the condition of the paint... are all a big part of that interesting 50 year story and could be possibly be "preserved".

I just wanted to clarify... and just to make you think about it again... whatever parts you need that I can reasonably ship from the USA will be at no charge to you for the parts and no charge to you for the shipping.

It will be a good reason for me to spend a weekend at the junk yard with one of my nephews... and our reward would come later when we see more pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

What a cool Jeep! I love combing over photos like this so I'll offer my thoughts on some of the body parts:

Taillights are early/first generation Wagoneer. The lack of the 70s style chrome molding around them puts this anywhere from 63-late 60s. I'm not entirely sure if the small, circular reverse lights were optional or if they came out towards the late 60s. At any rate, the rear quarters on this Wag don't seem to have them.

I'd bet the "cheese grater" style early 70s grille replaced an original rhino grille at some point.

Of course the axles could be swapped, like any parts could be swapped, but if they're stock they also point to a pre-74 rig with the 5 lug 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I wonder if the front is a Dana 44 or, more likely, a Dana 30.

It would be quite interesting to find out how the Jeep arrived in Argentina! Thanks for the photos.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
gonzalocatalino

1971J4000 wrote:Completely understood. It would be a mighty project here too.

I wonder if you could ask the owner's wife if she would take a picture of the tag and send it to you.

It will look something like this...

In my opinion... unless there is major rust in need of repair... I'd clean it up... rub the whole thing down with degreaser... and put a rust inbiting clear coat over it just the way she is. As long as no broken glass or leaking window & door seals...this works out great because you do not have to disturb the seals & the glass.

The way she looks right now... the condition of the paint... are all a big part of that interesting 50 year story and could be possibly be "preserved".

I just wanted to clarify... and just to make you think about it again... whatever parts you need that I can reasonably ship from the USA will be at no charge to you for the parts and no charge to you for the shipping.

It will be a good reason for me to spend a weekend at the junk yard with one of my nephews... and our reward would come later when we see more pictures.
Again, thanks a lot.
I need to keep talking with the owner when he get back home.
As for now, i know the replacement engine dont have papers (in Arg you cant change the engine of any car freely, engines have ID # too) and he's not the original owner. Apperently is someone from his town.
Price is not high, actually is pretty decent (around usd1500). The issue is the distance (just added a pic with a google map screenshot). I have to talk about transport and i am not sure if the owner would agree to do the deal at the distance (i think he want cash in hand).

About the project, i have to say i really appreciate your help and enthusiasm, because being honest, i am a complete noob at car repairs and restoration. Still, i have a friend who's mechanic and is eager to help.

I will ask the the ID car when i have the chance to talk with him.

And BTW, sorry for my english! lol

:fsj:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Much better than my Spanish!

Strange tailgate.

Bottom seems higher than the bed. Don't see any lifters.

Must weigh a ton even hollowed out as it is.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
gonzalocatalino

Well, bad news for me. The wagoneer is gone. I think someone else took it. I was trying to contact the seller all week but never answered my phone calls.
Now the ad is gone.

I will keep searching for a jeep pick up now (that was the original idea) .
Thanks to everyone!

I will post news if i find the gladiator iam looking for

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

Lets hope it is being saved...

And who knows... it might show up again on this forum...

Good luck with your search for an FSJ... it took me 14 years to find mine... and it was worth every second of searching now that I have it.

My offer for small parts is still good if you find one.

Here are a few places to look online...

https://autos.mercadolibre.com.ar/jeep/ ... -gladiator

https://vehiculos.mercadolibre.com.ar/jeep-gladiator

https://autos.mitula.com.ar/autos/camio ... -gladiator

https://www.alamaula.com/s-camionetas/j ... 68a2mamop1

Regards.

Topic author
gonzalocatalino

right now, the used car market is in a rare situation. The USD went from 1usd/$20 to almost 40$ per usd. So right now used cars are cheap in USD, but most sellers dont want to sell their cars.
I will keep searching, no rush.
Believe or not, one of the best places to look right now, is the Facebook Marketplace (i found the wagoneer there).

Here are some pics, rare ones included

and some cool TV ads from the 60's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o453oOnkUpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEKhCfBVZuE

1971J4000

Post by 1971J4000 »

gonzalocatalino wrote:
and some cool TV ads from the 60's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o453oOnkUpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEKhCfBVZuE
Great pictures and LOVE the videos... 4 people in the Gladiator Cab on a bench seat... that is great!!!

Here is another video from 73

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw9QrGLtd8A

mud89

Post by mud89 »

Thanks for sharing the videos
I guess that the first video concerns a Gladiator Super X or Super V, rare view of the original interior at 1:47
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle