New to forum. Oh what have I done?

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
FSJ Paul

New to forum. Oh what have I done?

Post by FSJ Paul »

Hello all,

I’m new to the forums. I recently purchased a 1978 Wide Track Cherokee. I’ve been looking for a good one at a good price for man years. This one has one of the best un restored body I’ve ever seen. Hardly any rust underneath and only one little spot in the passenger rear fender flare. There is only one dent on the hood and no more 3 tiny shopping cart dings on the whole car. Even the paint is in good shape. I live in Southern California, so even our “rust buckets” are nice, and this one is near flawless.

IMG_0528-800-1.jpg
But... it looks like a grizzly bear has been living in it. And smells like it too.
IMG_0379-800-3a.jpg
Oh also, the suspension is completely messed up, it has wires coming out of every corner. And half of the emissions control equipment that they bolted on these things after California raised emissions standards in 75 are missing. There are quarter sized holes in the exhaust manifold. And it is leaking out of, well, everywhere. It has 3 different tire. 2 different rims. 3 different seats, 3 different arm rests, a tiki sticker, an old Malaysian flag sticker, and an Army sticker. And I think I am in love.
IMG_0362-800-4.jpg
IMG_0524-800.jpg
The Quadra-trac seems un-molested and works. And surprisingly many of the bits and bobs inside are still present if not in good shape.
IMG_0543-800-6.jpg
I just posted a question on the general chat asking about the height of a wide track Cherokee with 31” tires and a Rough Country 3” lift and a stock luggage rack. According to my calculations that should come out to 74.6”. My garage door is exactly 75” at the lowest point. Think I’ll make it?

My goal is to bring her back to being as close to stock as possible without going crazy and drive her everywhere everyday with a great big smile on my face.

I'm going to need more than a few parts and tons of advice. Any encouragement and advice that I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1978 Wide Track Cherokee - work in progress
1976 Cherokee S - sold long ago and sorely missed
1989 Wrangler - not sorely missed.

dodgerammit

Re: New to forum. Oh what have I done?

Post by dodgerammit »

Sweet score man!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Nice find and a great beginning. Welcome, this is great board full of folks with great advice to help (greatly appreciated by a newbie like me). Best of luck as you start fixing it up, look forward to seeing what you do and if the lift/tires combo will work for you.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
FSJ Paul

Post by FSJ Paul »

Thanks guys for all the support! I just ordered a Rough Country 3” lift kit and 32 x 11.5 BF Goodrich tires. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will fit in the garage! And I’ll post lots of pics when I get that all sorted.

So far joining the forums is really paying off. I just found someone willing to sell me a pair of front bumper guards. The next thing on my project list is to find or make a shift indicator pointer needle. I posted a new topic in the parts wanted section:

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=16949

I’ll be sure to post more photos and updates.

Thanks again,
Paul
Paul
1978 Wide Track Cherokee - work in progress
1976 Cherokee S - sold long ago and sorely missed
1989 Wrangler - not sorely missed.

Hang em fast

Post by Hang em fast »

I recognize where you bought it!
That's the same place I go for most of my parts. Good luck I'm 3/4 done with mine I still have the interior left but the motor is rebuilt and the exterior is all done.