Looking for Moose in the Never Summer Mountains

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Looking for Moose in the Never Summer Mountains

Post by Lumpskie »

So, I just got back from a fun few days in and near Walden, CO. One of my wife's favorite animals is the moose and we try to get out on a "Moose Safari" to view them every year. We hadn't gotten out in a while so she surprised me with a birthday weekend away to do just that. On Friday, we packed and I topped off the fluids in the Waggy. This is the point where I FORGOT TO PACK A CAMERA! So... I was destined to take cell phone pictures on this trip. Saturday morning, we hit the road... into blizzard like conditions.

We took the western route, going west on I-70 then heading north on highway 40 through Winter Park. It snowed the entire way. Traffic backed up behind one person driving 15 mph all the way into Winter Park. I counted 25 cars stacked behind this person and they refused to pull off and let anyone pass. The switchback that normally take 30 minutes took over 2 hours to complete! But, no one got in an accident.

After turning onto highway 125, the road surface had turned from packed snow to ice. But, the Waggy didn't have any issues with traction. It was sure footed as ever.

So, after 5 hours of driving, we finally reached Walden. Apparently it had snowed all day here as well... snow was piled 3-4 feet high in between lanes in the road! I love this little town because it seems so authentic. I parked the Waggy and we checked into our hotel.

I took the opportunity to stretch my legs and grab a couple of pictures in town.

After a small break, we hit the road to State Forest State Park to get started looking for moose! The snow continued to fall on the drive.

I noticed this stack on the side of the road on the way out. Natural gas maybe? It was only flaming this one time was passed this spot...

Soon, we exited the road and headed onto the dirt.

As the suspension began to work, I started hearing a strange sound coming from the rear. I hopped out and found that the wheel wells were tightly packed with snow. I scraped it out as best I could and we continued on our way.

After about 20 minutes of driving, we ran across our first moose... 3 large Bulls. They were about 75 yards away from use, across a meadow. Of course, my cell phone has no optical zoom so pictures were almost useless. But I snapped a couple anyway.

It was starting to get pretty dark at this point, so we decided to head back to town. On the way out, we ran across two guys flagging us down on the trail. The told us that their 4 Runner was stuck and they needed help. Apparently, they were trying to walk out of the park and it was just above 0 degrees at that point. We told them that we'd help get them recovered and returned to their vehicle. At first sight, it looked like an easy job. But, when I looked closer, I could see that they were high centered.

So, I pulled out the shovel and a Mr. Emergency traction track and got to work. After digging around the tires, I could move the 4 runner back a bit. My wife put the track just in front of the front passenger tire and I rolled forward onto it. Then, I gave it some gas. I broke through about 2 feet of snow. I repeated the process one more time and they were out! Apparently, they were father and son. Dad had moved to CO and was getting into exploring the outdoors but the son was more of a city guy. They were planning on spending the night in their car if they couldn't find a way out of the park that night and he was scared out of his mind. He told my wife that we were "heros" and offered us some cash, which we turned down. It felt good to help them out and we were glad to see them heading back to down. Here's a picture I took of the scene the next day. The snow was well over a foot deep where that had parked and the heavy 4 runner just sank in!

EDIT: I forgot to mention...

Once we got back on pavement, it was pitch dark. As we were driving home, I caught a glimpse of some tail lights off of the left side of the road. We stopped, turned around and headed back. Sure enough, there was a brand new CRV that had slid off the road and down a 10ft embankment into the snow. We asked the owner if he needed help. He said "No, the tow truck is on the way". Reluctantly we, left him and headed back to town. After 10 minutes of driving Wifey and I discussed the fact that it was below zero and that we hadn't seen a tow truck heading in the opposite direction. As I turned my head to continue the conversation I can see something outside the passenger side window... it was a large shadowy figure. After a split second, I realized...MOOSE! I smoothly apply brake and, as I look back in front of me, I see another one run up onto the road. I gently guide the Waggy into the opposing lane of traffic, still braking as hard as I dare. I lay onto the horn and it spooks the moose enough for it to keep running and stay in "its lane". As the Waggy comes to a stop I can see that the first moose was a cow and the second was its large calf. They both run off the road at the first available opportunity and breath a sigh of relief. My wife and I return to the proper side of the roadway and also breath a sign of relief.
Last edited by Lumpskie on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Lumpskie

Re: Looking for Moose in the Never Summer Mountains

Post by Lumpskie »

The next morning, we awoke to -15 degree weather! It was cold enough to make me cough if I breathed too quickly. I was worried that the carburated Waggy wouldn't be happy and wouldn't want to start. When I went outside to fire it up, I caught a quick picture of the ice crystals that were coating the truck. It was actually pretty cool looking.

To my surprise, the Waggy fired up without any hesitation! So, I let it warm up for 5 minutes before we hit the road. When I came back to the vehicle, I noticed this...

Since we were kind of out in the middle of nowhere, there was no way I could get a radiator repaired... or even buy a radiator. So, I drove to the local forest service office. The plan was to see if there opening the thermostat made a difference by driving. If it didn't, we could always ask the rangers where our best option would be for repair. After a 30 minute drive, we got to the office.

We went inside for 5 minutes or so, looking at the stuffed Moose and talking to local rangers. After that, I came back out to check on it... not a drop! Do you guys have any idea what's going on here? Anyway, I felt comfortable enough to keep exploring at this point. In the worst case, I had an extra gallon of 50/50 coolant I could use and, at 15 below, I wasn't too worried about the waggy getting too hot.

So, we re-entered State Forest State Park. The plan today was to get out as far as we could and just play around a little. It was a beautiful morning as we entered the park. It had snowed a foot or so in the last few days and most of the roads were unplowed. These are conditions where the Waggy really shines.

We started seeing moose almost immediately and ended up seeing 10 moose that day!

After driving around for a good while, we decided to let my son (Lil Chunky I call him) play for a bit. This would be his first time playing in the snow. He had a great time!

After that, we continued our drive, stopping and looking at moose, deer, coyotes and foxes along the way. Whenever possible, I would take the opportunity to park and grab some pictures.

At this point, evening was quickly approaching. And Lil Chunky was out of gas.

So, we turned around and started heading back towards the park entrance.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Because you are surrounded by mountains, the light changes quickly as the sun ducks behind the peaks. Here's a picture just a few minutes later.

We leisurely wandered back towards civilization and enjoyed the views

We even saw a few more moose on the way

It was a good day and hung out a bit in the hotel after we got back. Lil Chunky liked the fire and the Elk mounts on the wall.

After relaxing for a bit, we started packing. The plan was to leave first thing in the morning. In the morning, I went out to warm the Waggy up and was a little too rambunctious... Looks like we need to hit a hardware store to get a duplicate key made before we leave.

Luckily, there was a farm and ranch supply store within walking distance. It was -20 out so I'm glad it was only a mile away! Once we got there, they copied the key and it worked. Also, Lil Chunky got to do a little wrenching and cutting of his own. (Don't worry, I made him wear eye protection when he used the circular saw)

It was a proud Daddy moment and a great way to end the trip.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Awesome, awesome trip! Beautiful scenery and more proof that Jeep people are good people. :)
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Renodemona wrote:Awesome, awesome trip! Beautiful scenery and more proof that Jeep people are good people. :)
Thanks for the incredible compliment! It's always fun to get to use my recovery gear when I get a chance.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Here I though going over Cameron pass to Walden was a long drive. When I had my axle adventures back in the summer, the Rangers had to temporarily evacuate a campground because a moose and her calf decided it was a good place to hang out. The State Forrest State park has some good people.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Loved your story. However, wouldn't you call more than one Moose--Meese?

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

rocklaurence wrote:Loved your story. However, wouldn't you call more than one Moose--Meese?
Oh deer.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Thanks for the great story and photos. If I want to see live moose around here have to go down town between 6PM and 2AM to watch the come and go from the lodge.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Yeah, Csuengr, I really like it in the State Forrest State Park area. It feels like "old school" Colorado with friendly, self reliant people.

And keep up the good work with the puns... I got a kick out of those.

Hey, Cheap Hobby, where about do you live? There's not too many places that you'll find moose wandering in town!

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

CA Central Valley. Women of the Moose show up around 1PM and the guys show around 6.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Wow, I had no idea that CA had any moose. That's cool!

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

The real question here, and i cant believe im the only one asking....if Moose is there....where is Squirrel?
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Mdcptman wrote:The real question here, and i cant believe im the only one asking....if Moose is there....where is Squirrel?
Ha!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Great read, that's a TON of moose it looks like a great trip. Props to you for being the friendly guy with the rope/traction devices too.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^Thanks, Nikkormat! I'm getting the itch to go out snow wheeling again, now that I have the TRED traction devices. Once you get a new toy you want to see how it works!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm down to snow wheel just tell me when! :fsj:
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Loved reading about your adventure. Awesome family time. Jeep people are good people. :-bd
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

MadMax78 wrote:Loved reading about your adventure. Awesome family time. Jeep people are good people. :-bd
Thanks, MadMax!

BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Since no one has commented on the antifreeze... I am pretty sure that your overflow bottle "overflowed" and that is what you saw on the ground.

Great trip report. I drove my Dodge 3500 off the road just north of Cowdry at the three-way intersection a few years ago. Very familiar with that area. Too bad you didn't venture over to the sand dunes. I hear they are pretty fun even when they are covered in snow.
'74 J30 with some upgrades