Emergency 01 XJ sale $5k obo Co Springs

Sales area for Non-FSJ Related Items
Forum rules
Please read the sales area rules before posting here. Thanks!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Emergency 01 XJ sale $5k obo Co Springs

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Ok folks, anyone looking for a great XJ project where all the hard and expensive stuff has been done already?
Life is bending me over and I don't see how we will make rent or bills for January. I'm desperate.
Short history:
Bought it while stationed in Germany and paid to ship it home with me. It started life as a bone stock 01 XJ classic 2WD.
I swapped in the correct (00-01) 4Wd AW4 tranny and an NP231. Found a TJ Dana 30 with 4:10 gears, swapped that in with Rubicon Express control arms/drop brackets, ACOS, and RE 3" springs. Rear is new Rustys 4" leaves and shackle brackets. JKS shackles and a custom pair of Airlift airbags (for weight)
Rear axle is a Ford 8.8 with 4:10s also. Both axles are open diffs.
Got stationed in VA and after about a year the motor blew. 0331 cylinder head cracked and it ate the motor. Found a used 01 4.0 being pulled for a motor swap that had around 60k miles on it. As it had the same dangerous cylinder head I pulled it. Found a better head from a later Grand Cherokee and had the local machine shop go through it. While waiting I went through the engine and replaced every seal, gasket, etc. new timing chain just because. New pre cats, spun main cat, throaty muffler, and exhaust.
Basically went top to bottom, inside and out on this thing and if it wasn't replaced it was serviced and cleaned. Underside and interior were scrubbed, primed, and sprayed with bedliner. There was shockingly no rust on the underside. Considering it came from Germany I was amazed.
When I pulled the carpet I did find surface rust starting from snowy feet on the carpet. Sanded it all to bare metal, treated, primed, and bed lined it all. No more rust, ever.
I also took that time to reshape the floor. I mounted a pair of leather, heated seats from a grand Cherokee as they are WAY more comfy. I also cut out the floor about halfway along the tranny hump. Created a more flat floor for storage as I was intending the Jeep to be a long term expo/camping rig.
It need stuff, I will happily reveal everything I know of. Biggest immediate need is a new pair of wheel adapters. The rt rear has somehow worked loose. I don't have the money even for that.
It's one and only off road trip (it spent most its life as a 2WD grocery getter,remember) was just after we moved here to the springs. Maiden voyage and the only gremlin I found was the sway bar bracket sheered off the axle.
I could go on and on as I've done a massive amount of work to this thing. It's not done but close depending on your end goal. There's less than 2500 miles on it since I first drove it out of the shop. I'd never sell it but I just can't get a break. Life is crashing down and we will be homeless if I don't make something happen.
I'm starting at $5000.00 because ya gotta start somewhere. I'm negotiable. All I ask is don't rape me. No bullshit scams. Ask what you want and I'll answer, honestly.
Here's kinda the build thread/struggle of the Jeep. Lots of pics and rambling descriptions.

Project "Side-trac" XJ

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Let me know if anyone is interested please. Need money ASAP!

REDONE

Re: Emergency 01 XJ sale $5k obo Co Springs

Post by REDONE »

Can't see the pics in your link unless you join military jeepers. Gotta be honest, $5k is pretty steep for an unfinished project XJ, and the posters on that other forum that can see the pics aren't doing you any favors with their comments. Your best bet is probably Craigslist.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:Can't see the pics in your link unless you join military jeepers. Gotta be honest, $5k is pretty steep for an unfinished project XJ, and the posters on that other forum that can see the pics aren't doing you any favors with their comments. Your best bet is probably Craigslist.
Sorry for the pic issue, didn't know it required joining to view em. I'll add some here to fix that.
And I can appreciate your candor on the price. It's a starting point which is obviously negotiable thanks to my situation (always willing to take more! Haha). As a project... that seems to be the cusp of it. All the difficult and expensive stuff is done. It runs well, drives, and wheels. It's more like a really nice house, still a building until you put your furniture in it and make it yours.
Not sure where you live but around here a good, low mileage, rust free, last gen XJ will sell for $5k easy. I know built Jeep's always sell at a loss when you look at the cost of the mods and accessories. I'd guess I have about 10 grand in it so my loss will be significant. Such is life right now unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Pics:
When I bought it... sure are cute as babies.
ImageImage

As it is now:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I'm in Lakewood. Being so close to Carson and Peterson you have a better chance of getting lucky, but for the rest of the state $5k gets you a low to mid-milage creampuff when it comes to XJs/ZJs/WJs. I still say you need to Craigslist it to have a shot of getting what you want for it quickly, especially if you include the pics of it being built so potential buyers can see it wasn't hillbilly Jerry rig built by two teen-agers so they could take it off some sweet jumps.

I have a pair of wheel spacers I'll trade you for a quality Yuletide Carol if they'll fit. Pretty sure they're 5 on 5, 3/4" thick.
Grizzly Locker Rear

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Oops. Nevermind. Just checked and 5x5 is too big.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:I'm in Lakewood. Being so close to Carson and Peterson you have a better chance of getting lucky, but for the rest of the state $5k gets you a low to mid-milage creampuff when it comes to XJs/ZJs/WJs. I still say you need to Craigslist it to have a shot of getting what you want for it quickly, especially if you include the pics of it being built so potential buyers can see it wasn't hillbilly Jerry rig built by two teen-agers so they could take it off some sweet jumps.

I have a pair of wheel spacers I'll trade you for a quality Yuletide Carol if they'll fit. Pretty sure they're 5 on 5, 3/4" thick.
Lmao... thanks for that last part brotha! Jumping hillbillies... damn I needed that!!
And thanks for the spacer offer. The axle is 5on5 1/2 and the wheels are 5on5 from a JK.
I'm sure I'll have to post on CL but wanted to offer it to the non-crazy folks first. Hopefully I can get it sold for a reasonable amount. I'll be taking a bath no matter what but as long as the bills get paid, that's what's priority.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Lmao... thanks for that last part brotha! Jumping hillbillies... damn I needed that!!
And thanks for the spacer offer. The axle is 5on5 1/2 and the wheels are 5on5 from a JK.
I
EDIT!!!! I mis-posted and Tapatalk won't let me edit.
The XJs rear axle is a Ford 8.8 from an explorer. It's bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2. The wheels are Wrangler JK takeoffs and are 5 on 5.
Sorry for the mistake. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'll send links out to people I know in the market, sorry to hear that you have to let a project go.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks (YUGE THANKS!!) to a member on here I should have the wheel adapter issue fixed tomorrow. Have to go to storage for my floor jack since nothing in the apartment will reach. I'll then swap it out tomorrow...hopefully.
I'm also thinking of sweetening the deal to get it sold. I had my Technitop RTT mounted on my old roof rack. It's currently in storage but I'm thinking for an additional 500 bucks on the asking price I'd include the RTT. Really don't want to sell it but if it helps sell the XJ... well, gotta do what ya gotta do.
Here's a pic or two of the RTT.
ImageImageImage

Skerrvydog

Post by Skerrvydog »

:fsj: Ted, that's a nice build, you've obviously put a lot of work and soul into that XJ! Sorry you have to let it go, but You should be able to get at least 6K with all the goodies you got on there, easy. at least back east you could. I just shared this up on the Cherokee Talk forum for you just to help spread the word. Take it to Facebook and Craigslist too.
Oh, and its just the early pics in the other Military jeep forum that don't show up, the later ones that show all the work are still there and visible.
and thank you for your service.
79 Wagoneer - "Sally" - Work in progress
((SOLD))87 Grand Wagoneer - "Benjamin Brown, Plow Dog": The brown helps disguise the rust.
99 XJ Cherokee - "Jack" - DD

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Skerrvydog wrote::fsj: Ted, that's a nice build, you've obviously put a lot of work and soul into that XJ! Sorry you have to let it go, but You should be able to get at least 6K with all the goodies you got on there, easy. at least back east you could. I just shared this up on the Cherokee Talk forum for you just to help spread the word. Take it to Facebook and Craigslist too.
Oh, and its just the early pics in the other Military jeep forum that don't show up, the later ones that show all the work are still there and visible.
and thank you for your service.
Thank you for cross posting it sir! Never hurts to get the word out. My back had me pretty much bedridden today so I'm way behind. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow after my MRI and can go to storage and pick up stuff I need. Fixing the wheel adapter issue is step one. I will probably drag all the interior panels and head liner home as well. Pain permitting I hope to make it look less like a project. Not sure how far I'll get, what gets hooked up or not, but getting it sold asap is much needed. If I had to guess, I'd put the value at around 8500.00 just in parts and unavoidable fees (shop space rental). I don't even want to guess at how many man hours I have in it. The reality is we always lose money... nature of the beast. But some aspects can't be denied.
Zero rust, never wrecked, literally only wheeled once. Basically new motor with non 0331 head.
All that back east would indeed likely bring a premium. But alas... life's curveball from hell has me scrambling for money. Hate it as I built it as a long term personal jeep. One pays extra attention when building their own rig. I doubt I'll build another like it. *sigh* oh well. If it keeps a roof over our heads for a bit... so be it!

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Well... going to have to expand the stuff getting sold as we are hurting pretty bad. I hate this. Please look for my other stuff going up for sale here. Thanks. And remember, prices are negotiable!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Don't know how your back feels about spending 8+ hours in a truck but snow plowing is good money this time of year. Should be $20+ an hour. Check Craigslist for it.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:Don't know how your back feels about spending 8+ hours in a truck but snow plowing is good money this time of year. Should be $20+ an hour. Check Craigslist for it.
Been dreaming about that... haha. I have a class A CDL from Virginia which I got while on active duty. Unfortunately I've been trying to get it transferred to CO and I have hit some hurdles. Army gets the physical waived since we had them every year. Civy side means I need one. The DR on Ft Carson who did my last physical said to contact him if I needed more paperwork. He's out of town until next week. *sigh* never easy lately.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Gritted my teeth today and started working on the XJ. Damn I move slow!
It was a lot longer process but I'm about 3/4 done with the hard stuff finished. Turns out that 3 of the 5 axle studs had sheared completely and the other 2 were not far behind. Amazed the wheel hadn't fallen off yet!
Unfortunately, since the rear axle is a Ford 8.8, I had to crack open the diff and pull the C clip to get the axle out. Then a trip to the parts store for 5 wrong studs meant I got to make that trip twice. Got home and replaced the studs, reinstalled the axle and got it mostly together. Forgot my locktite and gear oil at storage so I will have to make a run tomorrow. At least the hard part is over and I have no doubt my back will make me pay for trying to push today. Oh well... I'll get there. ImageImage