2017 FSJ Ouray Invasion

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

motcat

Re: 2017 FSJ Ouray Invasion

Post by motcat »

will e wrote:
That's good that you saw him. And maybe good he didn't have to come down to visit our group :)
"Thanks to you guys I had to put on pants!"
Well, I was planning Ouray in 2017, but based on those 2 comments I'm rethinking... :D
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

motcat wrote:

Well, I was planning Ouray in 2017, but based on those 2 comments I'm rethinking... :D
You gotta experience the yellow shirt Nazi's at some point in life.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

They're not as bad as some other yellow shirts.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Gumby wrote:They're not as bad as some other yellow shirts.
For sure. Just watch out for Torre. Should you run into her just tell her that Ruthie from Alaska was asking for her.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Simba

Post by Simba »

NEJetboy wrote:Ill be attending, planning on it atleast. Ill probably convoy with John from Lincoln, NE. He talked very highly of this group and event. We look forward to bringing our 89 GW! :fsj:
Hey NEJetboy. Sounds like it may work for you to go! That would be great! We are planning on it too. Have to talk about timing. At this point i am going to try to leave Sat and get in on Sunday evening.
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm planning on being there! Planning... And we all know how that goes. :roll:

I'm thinking I'll work this and the spring Moab trip in as time off in new job negotiations this week. If that goes well I will be there, even if it's in a Buick.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Nikkormat wrote:I'm planning on being there! Planning... And we all know how that goes. :roll:

I'm thinking I'll work this and the spring Moab trip in as time off in new job negotiations this week. If that goes well I will be there, even if it's in a Buick.
thats the spirit!

even a buick can do most of the moab stuff and pretty much all of the Ouray stuff!

:fsj:

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I *may* do Moab in the spring with the GW, we'll see what develops though. Gabe, if it works out for me I'll have a seat for you.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:I *may* do Moab in the spring with the GW, we'll see what develops though. Gabe, if it works out for me I'll have a seat for you.
Cool! :fsj:
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

FrozenCajunAK

Post by FrozenCajunAK »

We'll be there. We are moving to Denver from Alaska in a couple of weeks. Going to Ouray for the FSJ Invasion has been a bucket list thing for me for years.

NEJetboy

Post by NEJetboy »

Simba wrote:
NEJetboy wrote:Ill be attending, planning on it atleast. Ill probably convoy with John from Lincoln, NE. He talked very highly of this group and event. We look forward to bringing our 89 GW! :fsj:
Hey NEJetboy. Sounds like it may work for you to go! That would be great! We are planning on it too. Have to talk about timing. At this point i am going to try to leave Sat and get in on Sunday evening.

Simba, sorry for the late reply. Been busy with work and house "fun" and other family stuffs. But yes, I found out shortly after meeting ya that night that I am not allowed to go on my deployment due to having gone too many times. So we are planning to come out there for sure. And that sounds awesome for times. I know we were gonna stop by at some point and figure out a sorta plan.
'89 Grand Wagoneer "Stitch", 6" lift, 32x11.5x15s, custom bumpers, custom roof rack, custom interior mods, etc. Built to go everywhere. Scored 976 on RTI ramps.

'81 J10 with 43K being restored

NEJetboy

Post by NEJetboy »

So, this is a 3-day event...what's a sort of break down for the days? What are the trails like? What are some general "rules/guidelines"? What kind of weather to expect? etc...I am looking forward to coming out next year with our GW and would love to cross off some trails. I know we are going to plan a day possibly to do Black Bear into Telluride either before or after the Invasion.
'89 Grand Wagoneer "Stitch", 6" lift, 32x11.5x15s, custom bumpers, custom roof rack, custom interior mods, etc. Built to go everywhere. Scored 976 on RTI ramps.

will e

Post by will e »

NEJetboy wrote:So, this is a 3-day event...what's a sort of break down for the days? What are the trails like? What are some general "rules/guidelines"? What kind of weather to expect? etc...I am looking forward to coming out next year with our GW and would love to cross off some trails. I know we are going to plan a day possibly to do Black Bear into Telluride either before or after the Invasion.
It is a three day event but some folks show up early. I will be there on Sunday.

The trails are pretty easy. Pokipsee is the most difficult I have encountered. There are a bunch that a stock GW would do okay on.

Guidlines: A two speed transfer case is needed. This is mostly for some of the long decents that can be hard on the brakes. If you need to do repairs refer to the first post on what can be done and where at the KOA.

The trial rides are pretty much totally unorganized in advance. At the KOA you hang out and talk with different folks and then figure out what you will do the next day. That morning plans can change. ;)

In addition to trail rides folks will go into town, head off to Silverton, check out some of the mine tours, go to Montross for parts, go to the hot springs or ...

I suggest showing up early. It gives you some time to get situated. You can go on some runs and just get into 'the groove'. But that's me. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

NEJetboy

Post by NEJetboy »

Nice! Sounds like a blast. Hopefully I'll find a co-pilot or some friends to ride with me by then!

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I did everything in a bone stock JK Wrangler. We've even had a guy take a LWB Diesel Ram truck down Poughkeepsie.

Poughkeepsie is the roughest trail in Ouray, VERY bumpy, lots of rocks and several off camber points a spotter will definitely come in handy but I think a stock GW could do it no problem with the right driver and some patience.

My other half took some good photos of WILL E's Cherokee on Poughkeepsie. Great spot for flex. My GF has also said she is NOT doing Poughkeepsie again...LOL!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:I did everything in a bone stock JK Wrangler. We've even had a guy take a LWB Diesel Ram truck down Poughkeepsie.

Poughkeepsie is the roughest trail in Ouray, VERY bumpy, lots of rocks and several off camber points a spotter will definitely come in handy but I think a stock GW could do it no problem with the right driver and some patience.

My other half took some good photos of WILL E's Cherokee on Poughkeepsie. Great spot for flex. My GF has also said she is NOT doing Poughkeepsie again...LOL!
Wait a minute young man. other half/GF what wrong here. LOL

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

My phone kept auto correcting GF to JK so I wrote other half...lol
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

will e

Post by will e »

What the heck, bring your GF and your better half!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

HA!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

I slacked off on our reservation but I just called and left a message for Deborah. We're planning to be there Sunday-Saturday and probably a little pre-invasion run up to Leadville on our way to Ouray. Planning to bring our little girl this time, along with the newest addition to our vehicle herd, my new 2016 JK Unlimited! :fsj: And of course T-Rex! :mrgreen:

BethAnn aka T-Rex
2016 JK Unlimited Sport Hydro Blue Pearl
Factory 3.73 gears, 17x9 Tactik steel wheels, BFG KO2 All-Terrains 285/75 R17, Teraflex 1.5" Performance leveling kit, Teraflex front sway bar quick disconnects, Alien Sunshade
Yard full of FSJs that aren't mine :lol: 8-)