Stuff to do before the 2017 Invasion

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
will e

Stuff to do before the 2017 Invasion

Post by will e »

This is a thread for you to list what you need to do to your Jeep to get ready for the Invasion. Hopefully it will motivate you!
I had hoped that I would get some more enhansments done pre-invasion but I messed up my right hand and can't turn a wrench for another 5 weeks at best. So my list is kinda bare minimum:
DOne! Change the oil - Haven't done it since last invasion. Don't panic folks, it's only got about 3500 miles on it since last year.
Check the fluids
Done! Change the jets - I am at 64 primaries. I normally run 61 in Ouray but I think I will try 60 this year
Get the tires balanced
DONE! program HAM radio
DONE! exhaust leak - I had fixed it but I can hear it coming back. Last year in Ouray it was BAD and it made it sound like the Jeep was struggling going up 550 and on the trails. If I can't fix it myself (hand) I will probably take it to a local shop. Or turn the radio up really loud.
That's about it.

DONE! I might get a custom roof rack on it before Ouray but it's not a 'must have'.

I wanted to replace my headlight switch, it works okay but the interior lights wouldn't turn off. Bob was going to work with me to extend the roll bar with a front hoop but with my hand messed up we are going to delay that too. I also wanted to do something more with Ham Radio setup and switch for my air compressor. They are both functional but not as buttoned down as I would like.

Otherwise I think I am good to go.
Last edited by will e on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Stuff to do before the 2017 Invasion

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

My list of want to do is looooong. Must do, shorter.
I think the fuel injection is a must.
A fan shroud should be a must too.
Another oil change is a must since I'm still in the cleaning phase.

Want:
Finish stereo stuff. Install CB.
Dreaming: swap rear axle for the 4:10 Isuzu 44 and do a gear swap up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigun

Post by bigun »

Win the lottery!

derf

Post by derf »

1. Swap out the chewed up flex plate.

2. Install the ham radio.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Renew AAA memberships?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

ShagWagon wrote:Renew AAA memberships?
Doesn't expire until September but I did check, I have 5 tows left. ;)
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

az chip

Post by az chip »

Install front drive shaft
Install extended 208 rear drive shaft
change proportioning valve
button up vacuum spaghetti
weld patch for hole in the tunnel
get licensed
Intsall HF/2m/70cm radio
Renew AAA Platinum Gold membership
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Just about have this pvc snorkel figured out. You know how it can get at the KOA. ;)
gw snorkel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

fulsizjeep wrote:Just about have this pvc snorkel figured out. You know how it can get at the KOA. ;)
gw snorkel.jpg
Truely inspiring. :)

az chip

Post by az chip »

fulsizjeep wrote:Just about have this pvc snorkel figured out. You know how it can get at the KOA. ;)
gw snorkel.jpg
Trying to make the Jelly Beans jealous?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I want to be silly like them, yep.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

fulsizjeep wrote:I want to be silly like them, yep.
You get Wally in something that deep and you are on your own. LOL

Simba

Post by Simba »

Too much to think about! in the process of working on the transfer case: new chain, part time kit, seals. Install EFI, tired of vapor lock. Snug up the roof rack so it wont blow off. Figure out a way to haul extra fuel...Maybe a roof mounted set up. Get AC working. I know, sounds like a luxury but last year coming across Nebraska and Kansas was pretty warm and the wife demands it this year or she wont go:). And it would be nice to fix some rust...at least where the rear seat belts mount:) Plenty of other stuff too I suppose, fluids etc. Don't think I will worry about the snorkel:) maybe next year.
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Guy with the trailer I was going to borrow backed out so I need to find an alternative.

tedlovesjeeps71

will e wrote:Guy with the trailer I was going to borrow backed out so I need to find an alternative.
Where you are? If I can get a new rag for mine you can borrow it.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
will e wrote:Guy with the trailer I was going to borrow backed out so I need to find an alternative.

Thanks, Phoenix so probably not close.

tedlovesjeeps71

will e wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

Ah... Sorry.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
will e wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

Ah... Sorry.

No worries. If you lived near phoenix we would have already met at one of our wheeling trips or at TGITD

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

My daughter, Violet, wants to come along! So maybe I have to get the Jeep ready. Haven't touched the stubborn exhaust leak in a month. Can't seem to tighten down the Y pipe (driver side) enough to eliminate it.

So, just in case it is a blown out exhaust manifold gasket, the plan is (1) remove manifold (2) liberally apply Kroil (3) easily remove Y-pipe studs (4) install brand new fine thread studs (5) install studs on head (middle two) like on passenger side (6) reinstall manifold with new gasket (7) install y-pipe and torque nuts on driver side to ridiculous degree (8) start Jeep and discover it is still leaking (9) burn jeep to the ground
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Well, at least you have a plan!

I might have a roof rack before Ouray. Nice...