Stuff to do before the 2017 Invasion

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

shimniok

Re: Stuff to do before the 2017 Invasion

Post by shimniok »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Anyone want to buy some gun stuff? Image have some really nice cleaning kits with a Gerber and led flashlight...
May come off some P-mags.
Surefire lights??
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah maybe. Let's talk. Will send pm

Meanwhile I finished the exhaust manifold gasket / stud swap. Put it all back together and there is a tiny leak left but a lot better.

Picked up the raffle tickets and spinny cage from Scott today too while test driving. Was mid 90s at least but Jeep stayed sufficiently cool. I think I will die of heat stroke long before the Jeep does, anyway.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

derf

Post by derf »

The new HD radiator doesn't fit. I'm probably going to have to punt.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:I'm still working on the projects but after doing the budget last night, it ain't looking good for me coming. With the wife's car payment, extra insurance, health insurance, etc... There just isn't anything left. I have reserves this weekend but it's only for Saturday so that won't pay squat. Haven't sold any stuff either so it'll be a miracle if I can make it.

Sorry to hear. We've been there too, finances just weren't in place in 2013 or 2015. We just barely made it in 2014. Turns out a having a young child is expensive! Hope to see you, good luck!
BethAnn aka T-Rex
2016 JK Unlimited Sport Hydro Blue Pearl
Factory 3.73 gears, 17x9 Tactik steel wheels, BFG KO2 All-Terrains 285/75 R17, Teraflex 1.5" Performance leveling kit, Teraflex front sway bar quick disconnects, Alien Sunshade
Yard full of FSJs that aren't mine :lol: 8-)

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

REDONE wrote:Darn it, the punch line I was trying to set up is "If bethann can dress up as a monster then so can I!" :evil:

Bummer about apps giving you fits. And the broke-ness and such. I really with you could make it but I know how life is. Chances are I'll be there, in the cafe, on my computer, doing homework the whole time. But at least I should be there!
You seem very attached to T-Rex! It's hotter than a great googly moogly!!! But I'll let you borrow T-Rex if you want, I'll even drive you around camp! :D Also I don't know when you're showing up but Bryan will be sitting at the little outdoor cafe on his computer all day Monday because he only has 4 vacation days since he just started a new job. But, at least he has the option to work remotely and we can still be there!! It's 1,000 miles for us so we are leaving Saturday, arriving Sunday and Bryan will work Monday at KOA and then we can enjoy the rest of our week. If you were coming early too I'd say you guys could be KOA computer buddies. :ugeek:
BethAnn aka T-Rex
Factory 3.73 gears, 17x9 Tactik steel wheels, BFG KO2 All-Terrains 285/75 R17, Teraflex 1.5" Performance leveling kit, Teraflex front sway bar quick disconnects, Alien Sunshade

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

derf wrote:I've been driving the truck around and it is working reasonably well for the most part.

I have the issue with overheating under load but it cools right back down if I let it idle. Probably not something I want to get into fixing before the invasion. I'll just have to watch it.

I do have low oil pressure when it's fully warmed up but I have a pump mid plate that I'll install this weekend along with thicker oil. I think I'm running 5w30 and I'm going to step up to 10W40.

I'm also getting some wonky voltage issues. I have the premiere power welder as my alternator (without the welding box). I'm going to see about replacing it with a one wire alternator instead.
I don't think you were there to witness our overheating issues, but it's not any fun, I don't recommend it! We had to pull off multiple times on the way over to Silverton on 550 and on the couple trails we went on. We didn't get up the trail to Yankee Boy without pulling off multiple times. We did make it over to Telluride on the highway but weren't even out of the city limits driving Imogene from the Telluride side before we had to pull off due to overheating. At that point we rented a Jeep in Telluride and drove over Imogene because it was our last day of vacation and we wanted to do something. Anyway, sorry to be a Debbie Downer but seriously, I've already done this and can say it sucked!! We didn't realize we had problems until we got to Ouray (trailered it and it's not a daily driver, plus living at low elevation in Missouri doesn't test the cooling system much). Good luck! It's still worth it to make the trip no matter what you drive, you know.... :)
BethAnn aka T-Rex

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

While the trails are not technical the conditions can be hard on a Jeep. Overheating and vapor lock are issues that many folks have to fight. Oh, and engines that won't run well up in the high altitudes. One year Derek brought his truck and it just had no power at altitude. It was just running way too rich.

My jeep gets a bit warm going up over some of the longer passes but so far so good. (Okay there was the year the termostat stuck closed and I had to be towed into camp but thankfully there are no pictures). ;)

So on to the prep work. I did a bit more cleaning and organizing today. The #60 jets showed up and the mag mount and antenna for my Ham radio also arrrived. It's really really hot here but I am going to try to swap out the jets before I leave. I am trailering the Rig so no worries.

Overall the jeep is good to go. I have only put about 4000 miles on it since last year and most of those were for whee'n trips.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

derf

Post by derf »

Well, it's official. Truck Norris isn't going to make it. The XJ will be there. It's on axles from an 88 Grand Wagoneer if that helps.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Well, glad you can make it at least!

360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

Ugh, sorry! I know it sucks. I was looking forward to seeing Truck Norris! We showed up in a Mazda last year! And I know we aren't the first ones to show up in a car. Sorry though :( better to show up in your XJ than not be able to make it at all.
BethAnn aka T-Rex

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Well now you have a reason to come next year too!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

az chip

Post by az chip »

Hi temps.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Wyatt and I are on schedule for success! Jeep once again runs and drives! Need to sort out timing and a vacuum leak tomorrow night and then he will begin daily driving!

Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Good Job! Only a week to go!

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Glad to hear it, Nikkormat!

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Yea for Gabe!!!

Simba

Post by Simba »

Well, still working on stuff but making progress. Got the EFI installed. Little on the rich side but seems to be working. We still have plenty to do. Should be on schedule to head out on Saturday.
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Done laying fiberglass for the shroud. Need to test fit and trim, sand, paint, install.

greatplns

Post by greatplns »

I think I'm ready to go. Got a proper floor mount shifter working right so no one has to crawl underneath to get into 4Lo. Re geared from 2.72 to 3.73. Put lockers on so I can try Poughkeepsie. Will be testing for the next couple days, heading to the mountains Saturday.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

greatplns wrote:I think I'm ready to go. Got a proper floor mount shifter working right so no one has to crawl underneath to get into 4Lo. Re geared from 2.72 to 3.73. Put lockers on so I can try Poughkeepsie. Will be testing for the next couple days, heading to the mountains Saturday.

Nice! I think I am going to tackle Poughkeepsie on Friday. This year going up. But it's a FSJ invasion and plans change!

Today I finalized my arrangements for the tow rig and trailer. My buddy is all set to loan me his diesel Chevy and a local guy is renting me his trailer. The chevy doesn't have a trailer brake controller but adding one is literally plug and play so I ordered one off of Amazon. It's cheap insurance. I am super patient driving up but nothing works like a trailer brake if the trailer starts doing a 'dance'.

I have the los dos salsa for the cheese crisps. The baby back ribs for the asian ribs. I will cook up the ribs tomorrow night and put them in food savers.

I am going to take most of Friday off and get ready. Install the brake controller. Load up the jeep. Do a test drive. Do a bit of extra food shopping for the things that are not really available in Ouray and I should be good to go.

I might leave the rejetting until I get to KOA. And my headliner isn't in right, we had it down for the rack install, but I might leave that for KOA too since it will be so much cooler there. ;)

Can you tell I am excited!

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Simba wrote:Well, still working on stuff but making progress. Got the EFI installed. Little on the rich side but seems to be working. We still have plenty to do. Should be on schedule to head out on Saturday.
Rich and high altitudes don't work out well. My buddy derek pretty much had to give up on his Jeep due to a lack of power. Does your system compensate for altitiude?