2017 Review For Those That Missed It

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

It was a another great year! Even so, a lot was different.

For all those who regularly come but didn't this year, everyone I talked to understood why, even so we all missed you!

For those that chickened out because you couldn't bring your FSJ, you missed out! Less than half of us had our FSJs, but showed up anyways and it was a great time! :-bd

It was a much smaller group that any other year I've been here, and for this year that worked out well! Everyone got a chance to talk with every other person. While we ALL suck with names to an extent, everyone that made it will at the very least remember faces because it was so personal. :)

Hatchet Jack has the coolest "camp chair" on the planet but I'll let someone else post the pics. My dad and I bought twice as many tickets than we planned because we thought it was in the raffle, haha! ( we were the only ones with enough truck space to haul it off, so we thought we were a shoe in).

For those who were there 3 years ago but missed this year, remember the guy (rainman) who's wife started popping out a baby in Grand Junction on there was to Ouray, then he left her in the hospital and cruised down for the raffle? They were my neighbors this year and that 3yo GJ boy is a firecracker of a different brand! That is one cool family and I'm glad we got to spend so much time with them and their schmores! :-bd

FOR OURAY VETERANS, HERE'S WHAT WAS DIFFERENT:

1) This year felt more "grown up" that previous years, but in all the right ways. The kid/adult ratio was pretty darn close to 1:1. Ouray hasn't ever been a week of naked pagan debauchery despite the rumors we like to spread for those who have never been there. Even so, it was a little less bohemian for lack of a better word. For example, when the yellowshirt came along a little after midnight to tell us that DAVE made the new rule of all fires doused at midnight, there were only about 10 of us still there, at least one was a little girl, and rather than sit there and watch us, he cruised off and we all just went to bed.

2) Vendor participation is up, also in all the right ways. It was all our homegrown vendors like Ross80, Evil Twin, TTFab and 999Offroad. With around half the people of last year, we raised 40% more cash for OMR.

3) The last and BIGGEST thing, is that the trails are getting tougher and that's not just my opinion. There definitely won't be any minivans full of migrant workers illegally picking wild flowers on yankee boy this year. Many sections that were just "rough" because they were big rocks cemented in the dirt are now loose big rocks ready to kick you sideways and smack your belly. The heavy snow and rain has done a number on the water crossings too. My ZJ on 30x9.5s touched plastic on two corners at one of them. Reports of blackbear claim that it's a little wider than usual, but with more big loose rocks looking to roll you around too. Someone mentioned the first water crossing was significantly worse than in the past too. In short, we need to stop telling people that a stock wag will do anything but Poughkeepsie without damage. I'm not saying it's turning hard-core, but it's not just dirt roads anymore.

On a random note, expect the FJ Summit to continue, but expect the name to change too. They were outnumbered 2 to 1 easily by 4Runner TRD Pro's. I think that will work for us, since instead of calling them Jellybeans, we just have to throw an extra "U" in TRD when we talk about them. ;) One FJ rolled, and much to my chagrin, it did NOT have a rooftop tent (but it did have a snorkel). Austin got the full scoop on that. Another was rolling on Dana 60s and 40" rubber. You don't have to like Toyotas to appreciate that kind of fabrication.

One thing we definitely did wrong was all the last minute switcharoo business. We all know that life happens and plans change, but if we want Dave and Deb to keep holding sites for us, we need to get it together a little bit more. It's pretty obvious they were not happy when they gathered up all of one of our members things and hauled it down and threw it in a shed because what WE thought; wasn't what was on THEIR books. It took some humility and sincere apologies from the head cat-herder, and me calling Dave's Harley a pile trash (and him calling my Jeep a skunk) to get things back on track from there. All the empty sites on the back 40 FRIDAY night tells me they might have lost money on us, especially since I was in the front office Friday when they were turning people away.

Well, with that out of the way, here's some pics. First is Austin and my dad on Yankee Boy edited by google assistant.
T-Rex feeding babies to Jeepasaurus
Nobody was ever hungry, at all.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tatsadasayago

Re: 2017 Review For Those That Missed It

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Thanks for the synopsis!
I've met Rainman and his family. Cool people for sure!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

So who's center cap did I find on the trail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Thanks for the over view!

I still want to get there one of these years. Just no clue when, or if it will even be going on by then.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Stuka wrote:Thanks for the over view!

I still want to get there one of these years. Just no clue when, or if it will even be going on by then.
I know for a fact that it's happening again next year. Date's will be made public soon, I'm sure. ;)

Some ideas to make it more realistic: Make it a part of another adventure. This year the Rainman Family was doing a whole overland adventure from Sacramento with Ouray just being the last stop. I've done it like that 2 years ago while my wife and I were still knocking down visits to every State Park in CO. This year was the second time Ouray was just the vehicle for a father-son trip. Even if the Invasion had sucked (which it definitely didn't!) the trip would still have been awesome because it was something else too. Ross made it a whole Family Reunion this year and that actually made it more fun for everybody (during the raffle, Ross' FIL kept winning everything that Ross put IN the Raffle so he put it right back on the bench, hahaha!). :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I've been quietly suggesting to my dad that putting the Chief on a trailer and ending up in Ouray next year would make me feel so much better about myself...

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Suggest it louder. :P As anyone who's been can tell you, it's worth it, even if it's just a one-time deal. California has a lot of beautiful stuff, but it's not Ouray. Washington has some great mountains, but not like Ouray. It's just it's own thing and there's nothing else like it. It was fun watching Dave (KOA owner and old hippy-biker type) running around with a shotgun full of rubber slugs trying to catch a blackbear that keeps looking for scraps and being hounded by tourists all at the same time like a Benny Hill skit. :D
Grizzly Locker Rear

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I've been quietly suggesting to my dad that putting the Chief on a trailer and ending up in Ouray next year would make me feel so much better about myself...
You wouldn't regret it!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

greatplns

Post by greatplns »

SparkyB wrote:So who's center cap did I find on the trail?

I think that might be mine. Think I lost it on the way up to Poughkeepsie. Would that happen to be where you found it? Went back after I realized I lost it, but obviously didn't find it.

SparkyB

Post by SparkyB »

greatplns wrote:
SparkyB wrote:So who's center cap did I find on the trail?

I think that might be mine. Think I lost it on the way up to Poughkeepsie. Would that happen to be where you found it? Went back after I realized I lost it, but obviously didn't find it.
Yeah that's where I picked it up. Gave it to someone else that was in the group with Gabe on Thursday.

will e

Post by will e »

Great write up! It did have a smaller vibe to it but like you said we got to get more personal.
I did a trail run with just Jessie and his wife in their jeep and with Becca as my passenger. We 'found' a new trail.
I got to spend some one on one time with Tim and Mike (and Violet) over a meal.
Got to have Roy, Jerry and Becca all ride along with me on different days.
Broke down twice. One of which sent me back to the KOA.
FINALLY on Saturday night I had the opportunity to break out the cheese crisps. Austin had to pitch in some extra tortillas.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tedlovesjeeps71

I know a lot of us were wondering about the jellybean that was on the wrecker. Strange that fate is, I stumbled into a conversation with one of them online in a local community forum. Guy doesn't live far from me I guess. Anyhoo... here's what he had to say about their Ouray gathering.

"A lot of those guys stay at the KOA, they come same time as the FJ Summit but I never see them on the trails.

So the FJ you saw rolled going up the wall on Poughkeepsie. There were several situations this week, his was probably the worst. No one was hurt in any of them. Another one of our FJ's was distracted and put all 4 tires off the trail. Three Aspen trees kept her and her daughter alive. That was a 4 vehicle recovery.

We had a Jeep Liberty following us at the end of Ophir. I told my group we were skipping the water crossing near the end because the ascent side was too washed out and dangerous. Well this guy was listening to us on CB and figured it was not so bad for his Liberty. That was the only time I have ever seen a differential explode. We winched him out and he limped home in 2 wheel drive.

Sounds like we should grab a beer and tell lies some time.

Bill"

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

What's an FJ?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tedlovesjeeps71

ShagWagon wrote:What's an FJ?
FJ Cruiser... aka "jellybean".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigun

Post by bigun »

The FJs are super regimented, everything is scheduled where as the FSJ group isn't. Who goes where is always decided at the last minute after a night in which multiple bottles of alcoholic beverages have been passed around the fire. Which means most aren't stumbling out of the sleeping arraignment till way after the sun has been up

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
"A lot of those guys stay at the KOA, they come same time as the FJ Summit but I never see them on the trails.

"
You should tell them to look behind them, since that's where we're all stuck watching them spot each other over gravel and adjusting their go pros. :P

This just proves that us J-Truckers need to bring it and show them what's what!
Grizzly Locker Rear

greatplns

Post by greatplns »

REDONE wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

"
You should tell them to look behind them, since that's where we're all stuck watching them spot each other over gravel and adjusting their go pros. :P

This just proves that us J-Truckers need to bring it and show them what's what!
Look behind them is right. Lessons learned about the FJ's:

1: no matter how much they tailgate you, do not let them by because 30 seconds later they'll all stop, get out to take pictures while they block the entire trail.

2: If you meet them coming from opposite directions, stop, have a sandwich, fill your coffee, do whatever else needs done, cause it'll be a while.

3: Watch for snorkels.

As a side note, we just got up to Poughkeepsie when that FJ rolled. The entire place, every entrance into Poughkeepsie was blocked. We walked up to find out why, were told an FJ rolled. Thought they had it blocked off for life flight or something. Not the case. Just thought they'd have a private event I guess.

All in all was a great time. Any dates set for '18?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Those Jellybeans have relatives out here and pollute the trails something fierce as well.
"Everyone STOP! I have to take a photo of a tree stump!"

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I can't slam all JellyBeans though; This guy offered to winch me the last 10 feet tot eh pavement after I buried the Blair in 4 feet of snow (While pulling my boat and trailer) when that *&^$()^&#$ Edelbrock flooded from all the bouncing. He and his group were very cool! :-bd

4 OHH STUCK