2018 countdown!

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
will e

2018 countdown!

Post by will e »

Just got home yesterday, already looking at getting back.

https://days.to/14-july/2018 << I arrive 354 days!

https://days.to/18-july/2018 <<"Official Start" 358 days!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: 2018 countdown!

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Lmao!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Site 45 from the 17th to the 21st!

For all those hoping to attend, Wednesday the 18, starts in the morning. You should get there Tuesday night!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

derf

Post by derf »

Got site 46a from the 15th to the 21st.

greatplns

Post by greatplns »

I was afraid that was going to happen. We're committed to running the Rubicon that week. Maybe again in '19. Who knows, things may change, here's hoping.

Simba

Post by Simba »

Already looking forward to it too! We made reservations for cabin 28. Hope to be able to make it. There is a possibility we will have to do a family get together for my sisters anniversary.
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

I have a cabin, not sure which one. 351 days! Going to try to bring the wife. If I do we will be sporting the Chevy Colorado and doing side activities. I will be bumming a few rides.

BTW, this is NOT the official 2018 thread. It's just a countdown thread.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Totally. The dates are out there for the proactive types. No need to start the hoopla just yet! I'm fine with holding off on the official thread for a bit, will probably require less upkeep that way. :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:Totally. The dates are out there for the proactive types. No need to start the hoopla just yet! I'm fine with holding off on the official thread for a bit, will probably require less upkeep that way. :-bd
And reduce confusion for those like me who are mental slow movers. Image

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

Getting out west again and then having to come home AGAIN really made us look at our plan for "Launch 2019" (for those who don't know- the short story is, we are crazy, we love traveling and we want to buy an RV and travel full-time and now Bryan has a job that actually makes this feasible). I've had a very hard time this week being back "home", this is the farthest east I've lived my whole life and I'm itching to get back out west on a permanent basis. We just don't want to be here anymore. We set 2019 as the goal because it gives us time to save some money, get rid of stuff, get rid of debt, sell the house, plan, buy the RV, etc. But now we are working on a new idea that hopefully will put us on the road next year, a year ahead of schedule. With that in mind, I'm not reserving our usual site this year. :( I hope by next July we are in the thick of finalizing everything we need to do in order to hit the road. If that turns out not to be the case we may still show up but I don't want to reserve a primo site and end up cancelling. We'll be back another year! But it may not be next year. We will be looking to visit people during our traveling though :)
BethAnn aka T-Rex
2016 JK Unlimited Sport Hydro Blue Pearl
Factory 3.73 gears, 17x9 Tactik steel wheels, BFG KO2 All-Terrains 285/75 R17, Teraflex 1.5" Performance leveling kit, Teraflex front sway bar quick disconnects, Alien Sunshade
Yard full of FSJs that aren't mine :lol: 8-)

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I hope you Reids make it but totally understand long-term planning! Here's to hoping it works out!

For any other proactive types! Ridgeway State Park is just up the road from the Ouray KOA. While it's nice to have everyone centralized in the back40 of the KOA, I spent MANY summer trips as a kid at Ridgeway State Park. It's a great place to spend time with family if you have a brood of young'uns, with swimming, fishing, boating, hiking and STORY TIME! It's the quintessential family camping experience. Like the KOA, Texans fill it up in July, so check it out and if it fits for you, make your reservations early!
Grizzly Locker Rear

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

greatplns wrote:I was afraid that was going to happen. We're committed to running the Rubicon that week. Maybe again in '19. Who knows, things may change, here's hoping.
That sounds awesome! One of my friends was running it with Crawl magazine last week while we were in Ouray, he had some great pictures!
BethAnn aka T-Rex
Factory 3.73 gears, 17x9 Tactik steel wheels, BFG KO2 All-Terrains 285/75 R17, Teraflex 1.5" Performance leveling kit, Teraflex front sway bar quick disconnects, Alien Sunshade

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

T-Rex, you should reserve a RV spot for next year just in case. As time gets closer you can always cancel. And if you don't have an RV and can make it there is always room somewhere!

350 days to go!

greatplns

Post by greatplns »

Riverrat wrote:Getting out west again and then having to come home AGAIN really made us look at our plan for "Launch 2019" (for those who don't know- the short story is, we are crazy, we love traveling and we want to buy an RV and travel full-time and now Bryan has a job that actually makes this feasible). I've had a very hard time this week being back "home", this is the farthest east I've lived my whole life and I'm itching to get back out west on a permanent basis. We just don't want to be here anymore. We set 2019 as the goal because it gives us time to save some money, get rid of stuff, get rid of debt, sell the house, plan, buy the RV, etc. But now we are working on a new idea that hopefully will put us on the road next year, a year ahead of schedule. With that in mind, I'm not reserving our usual site this year. :( I hope by next July we are in the thick of finalizing everything we need to do in order to hit the road. If that turns out not to be the case we may still show up but I don't want to reserve a primo site and end up cancelling. We'll be back another year! But it may not be next year. We will be looking to visit people during our traveling though :)
I can totally relate. We got home, looked at everything that needed to be done, and asked what are we still doing here? Like you, I can work from anywhere, haven't worked in the state I live for over a decade. Also like you, we just don't want to be here anymore. All our kids are grown and gone, scattered to the four corners of the United States, no reason for two people to live in this big of a house, on this much land anymore. I think it's time for us to move on, downsize, and look for less maintenance, but primarily just be happy.

I wish you the absolute best of luck in your journey, the unknown is kinda fun sometimes. Maybe one day our paths will cross again and by then our dog will probably need another checkup from your daughter. Good luck!!

tedlovesjeeps71

I guess I'm the polar opposite from you guys. Being stuck in an apartment I only dream of getting a house with acreage and a shop big enough to do my thing. One day.... Hopefully not too far down the road.

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:I guess I'm the polar opposite from you guys. Being stuck in an apartment I only dream of getting a house with acreage and a shop big enough to do my thing. One day.... Hopefully not too far down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I love our house and love living in the country! But there is so much maintenance we spend most of our time playing catch-up fixing this or that or maintaining property we don't get out much to do the things we enjoy. I've lived in my share of apartments and I don't want that either! We want to roam. We feel tied down by all of our stuff that we really don't need. We spend tons of money and time trying to keep up with it all. I traveled a lot as a child and I've always loved road trips and camping and being outdoors. RV life would have different challenges and headaches but we want to give it a try. We don't have a shop either, maybe if we did I'd change my mind ;) we don't even have a garage big enough to park in! If we took everything out of our garage we might have room to park a compact car...
BethAnn aka T-Rex

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Totally. People that think HOAs are a PITA have never dealt with oil drillers and their lawyers trying to drill in their strawberry patch or the department of the interior telling them they painted their house the wrong shade of green. It's all pay-to-play and you don't get told the rules until your already all-in. Having "land" in the "boonies" where you can "do whatever you want" is an illusion, not a dream.
Grizzly Locker Rear

tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:Totally. People that think HOAs are a PITA have never dealt with oil drillers and their lawyers trying to drill in their strawberry patch or the department of the interior telling them they painted their house the wrong shade of green. It's all pay-to-play and you don't get told the rules until your already all-in. Having "land" in the "boonies" where you can "do whatever you want" is an illusion, not a dream.
Thanks for shattering my illusion and crushing my dreams... Image

greatplns

Post by greatplns »

REDONE wrote:Totally. People that think HOAs are a PITA have never dealt with oil drillers and their lawyers trying to drill in their strawberry patch or the department of the interior telling them they painted their house the wrong shade of green. It's all pay-to-play and you don't get told the rules until your already all-in. Having "land" in the "boonies" where you can "do whatever you want" is an illusion, not a dream.
Not really. We have land, not really in the boonies, but you can see them from here. We can pretty much do whatever we want, but...., there is acres of grass to mow, weeds to spray, improvements you want to make that never end. My wife and I have been on our property 20 years. It was completely undeveloped when we bought it. We've come a LONG way, but have so much further to go that we're both struggling to see the light any more. Of course when we started we were so full of optimism we built our house smack dab in the middle, which makes it hard to keep the house and sell most of the acreage. In fact 65 acres is land locked unless we share our driveway and have them come right passed our house, which totally takes away any privacy. A total failure to realize our limitations, in time, and abilities.

It's been a great way of life, but as you get older experiences start to matter more than possessions. I guess that's where I'm at.

Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

greatplns wrote:
Not really. We have land, not really in the boonies, but you can see them from here. We can pretty much do whatever we want, but...., there is acres of grass to mow, weeds to spray, improvements you want to make that never end. My wife and I have been on our property 20 years. It was completely undeveloped when we bought it. We've come a LONG way, but have so much further to go that we're both struggling to see the light any more. Of course when we started we were so full of optimism we built our house smack dab in the middle, which makes it hard to keep the house and sell most of the acreage. In fact 65 acres is land locked unless we share our driveway and have them come right passed our house, which totally takes away any privacy. A total failure to realize our limitations, in time, and abilities.

It's been a great way of life, but as you get older experiences start to matter more than possessions. I guess that's where I'm at.
Us too! Just too much to take care of. I had horses. They have lived here and since passed on. :( Sad times, they were my horses as a teenager. My last horse we put down in May was 32, I had her since she was 5 and I was 11. She lived through the Joplin tornado before we moved her up here. We don't need land anymore and we don't want to deal with the upkeep. We have been here 8 years. When we moved here it was just what we wanted. Out of town, quiet. But I'm done. I want to go west! I want to see the country. One thing Missouri has is cheap land and cost of living. We have wanted to move for a long time but don't know where to go, cost of living is a big factor. If we live in an RV we can be mobile... believe me, we've over-thought it to exhaustion. It comes with plenty of challenges but it fits us. I fully believe we're a little crazy to consider it but I also think the 4x4 crowd are a little different too. :p Not everyone loves driving through the woods and crazy stuff. It's hard to explain to those who don't "get it" even with good pictures. Best luck to you!!! Hope to see you along the way! Let's do this. :fsj:
BethAnn aka T-Rex