Ouray 2018 update

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
REDONE

Ouray 2018 update

Post by REDONE »

For those hungry for Ouray info, we've all had a great time as usual. My little tribe went up Yankee Boy as is tradition, pics to come later. Tonight the big to-do was a BBQ at the KOA cafe followed by smores at Bob's cabin. There seems to be a bee hive near by and a number of kids got stung (plus a grown up or two). No escaping nature and all she has to offer this year!
One of the cruiser losers rolled his junk on black bear right in front some of our guys. Derf, shimniok, and Nikkormat helped as much as they could and we waited up for them as the night went on. Nikkormat decided to come back via Imogene instead of rolling pavement like the others. I'm sitting here next to my lantern in a fire pit hoping he rolls in, but knowing that if he does it's because he had to turn around. Probably turn in here soon. If he's not back in the morning, we'll hunt him down and lecture him on battle-buddies and long range comms, just as we would all do to younger versions of our selves.
Ouray rocks. While this may seem like a low-key year with it's fair share of tribulations, it's still awesome. There's nowhere I'd rather be right now, but I wish more of you people were here with me!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

bigun

Re: Ouray 2018 update

Post by bigun »

Will be back one of these years, I hope.
Useless without pictures! :-bd

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Pictures you say? Of sheep? And rolled jelly beans? I can accommodate.

So we started out yesterday-- derf, nikkormat and me -- running black bear in the afternoon. My first time. No big deal they said. Easy they said...

Nobody said anything about the sheep swarm.

Then we heard something about an FJ having problems with his brakes, and he was blocking the trail. We figured we would check it out and help if we could.

When we got there we saw this.

The recovery took... awhile. Roy can explain all that...

We ended up coming down the switchbacks in the fading light of day. Had Chinese food in telluride. Saw the helper toyotas (but not the rolled one) roll through right after we left the restaurant.

A couple days ago we had a couple of our guys on the trail when one ran out of fuel...

It's been a fun year, great times at the potluck and on the trails!
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Hatchet Jack

Post by Hatchet Jack »

Waters cold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Where that FJ rolled is the scariest part of the trail for me. I hate off camber areas.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

will e

Post by will e »

I have some pictures but the card doesn't work in my computer! I will post up when I get home. Another awesome year in Ouray. We didn't have the big campfire group this year, but that's okay. We did have a great potluck and raffle. And a few newbies!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Kudos to everyone for getting there and being a part of the experience! Especially for everyone's effort with the raffle and pot luck. Krista, Newt, Noodle and I had a great time in the short time we were there.

We got home at 3:30. It is 86* in the house. GAH! Outside temp is low enough now to run the attic fan. whew...

:fsj:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

bigun

Post by bigun »

shimniok wrote:Pictures you say? Of sheep? And rolled jelly beans? I can accommodate.

So we started out yesterday-- derf, nikkormat and me -- running black bear in the afternoon. My first time. No big deal they said. Easy they said...

Nobody said anything about the sheep swarm.
There is a joke there but since this is a family site I won't make it! :-bd
Rolled jelly bean!!

bigun

Post by bigun »

fulsizjeep wrote:Kudos to everyone for getting there and being a part of the experience! Especially for everyone's effort with the raffle and pot luck. Krista, Newt, Noodle and I had a great time in the short time we were there.

We got home at 3:30. It is 86* in the house. GAH! Outside temp is low enough now to run the attic fan. whew...

Looks like the gathering is getting smaller and smaller

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

bigun wrote: Looks like the gathering is getting smaller and smaller
Fewer FSJs this year but it seems like it is getting bigger in terms of attendees.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Correct me if I am wrong. I believe Boston Bob's Jtruck made 13 on the FSJ count.

Flint Boardman

78 Arizona Chief

Post by 78 Arizona Chief »

The Mayo clan had a great time. Colorado can't be shown in photos, it needs to be experienced in person. The pot-luck and raffle were a lot of fun. I am sure we are all still wondering how Tad did it. I really was pleasantly shocked at how well my jeep ran up at 13k feet. Casey, thanks for being our tour guide on the trails. Cayden and Ryan really enjoyed learning about all the mining structures. The week flew by, and now we are home. Took a nice leisurely 12 hours to get home stopping to let the dogs out, eat lunch and dinner. Got home just before 10 pm AZ time. Power Wagon's little 5.7 Hemi averaged just under 9 mpg both ways, which I thought was pretty good considering how much weigh she was carrying and dragging. We will be back for sure. Looking at our pictures I just keep thinking, it looks so much better in person! Oh yeah, and my jeep turned 40 on this trip! What a great way to spend her birthday!!!!!!
Kevin, Kristen, Cayden, Ryan, TJ, Cinna and Rosco.
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Good news Kevin! I am so glad y'all got to come and have the experience. Just under 9 is not bad considering your load. Ride On
Flint Boardman

will e

Post by will e »

bigun wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote:Kudos to everyone for getting there and being a part of the experience! Especially for everyone's effort with the raffle and pot luck. Krista, Newt, Noodle and I had a great time in the short time we were there.

Looks like the gathering is getting smaller and smaller
I looked at the 2017 photo and it appears there were only 8 rigs!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

will e

Post by will e »

I didn't take a lot of pics. I like these two:

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I swear one of these years I will make it. Hopefully it won't be the year where everybody else has gotten tired of it. It just seems every year something major in life happens that prevents it. So I have to live vicariously through your guys photos :)

Not having any trees to run a snatch block from looks like it made the roll over recovery a lot harder than it would have otherwise been.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

derf

Post by derf »

There were trees up the hill. We had to string together a bunch of stuff to get the snatch block down to where it was.

Simba

Post by Simba »

[quote="fulsizjeep"]Kudos to everyone for getting there and being a part of the experience! Especially for everyone's effort with the raffle and pot luck. Krista, Newt, Noodle and I had a great time in the short time we were there.

:fsj:[/quote

It was great to finally meet you and Krisra! I can empathize with you on the AC! The day before we left ours went out! Had to spend half a day fixing it and we ended up leaving at 3 instead of in the morning as planned.
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

Simba

Post by Simba »

Can't wait till next year! We had a great time! We love the beauty of the area but nothing compares to all you guys and gals. You have truly become some of our best friends!
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE