Alcan/Dalton HWY FSJ run

FSJ Related Events in the Pacific Time Zone

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Alcan/Dalton HWY FSJ run

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

It's always been a wet dream of mine to run the Alcan into Alaska then take the Dalton all the up to Prudhoe Bay. So what the heck? Really putting some thought into this for several(3-5) years from now. Would likely take 10-14 days and end with a ferry ride back to the lower 48.

Anybody else legitimately up for a trip of that magnitude? Has anyone here made this run?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Alcan/Dalton HWY FSJ run

Post by Stuka »

There was an episode of epic drives where drove up that dalton. You can fine the episode on you tube. It would be an awesome drive, but getting the jeep there to start with is the hardest part.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Stuka wrote:There was an episode of epic drives where drove up that dalton. You can fine the episode on you tube. It would be an awesome drive, but getting the jeep there to start with is the hardest part.
I'll look for that.

Yeah, at least half or 3/4 the trip would be spent just getting to the starting line.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I did the Vancouver BC to Yellowknife back in the day in a 74 Plymouth Voyager 1/2 ton van full of music gear. Was interesting and fun!
Ignorance is bliss.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEo5YSutY8[/youtube]

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Very cool video. On a side note I own that same 4 wheeler.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I did the Vancouver BC to Yellowknife back in the day in a 74 Plymouth Voyager 1/2 ton van full of music gear. Was interesting and fun!
Ignorance is bliss.
Yellowknife has always been a place I've wanted to go, even before all the Ice Road trucker shows.

Sounds like it was a...hazy...trip :p
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

DeepAboveSurface

Post by DeepAboveSurface »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:It's always been a wet dream of mine to run the Alcan into Alaska then take the Dalton all the up to Prudhoe Bay. So what the heck? Really putting some thought into this for several(3-5) years from now. Would likely take 10-14 days and end with a ferry ride back to the lower 48.

Anybody else legitimately up for a trip of that magnitude? Has anyone here made this run?
Hey GW... Actually for the past 3-4 yrs ive been doing alot of overland and travel research. I actually have changed my profession to accommodate this ever growing desire to travel. I used to be the Director of Marketing or Business Development for a couple of private EMS companies in Houston Tx.. Now i will become a Travel Nurse.
Id like to do the Pan American Hwy and the Trans AM Trail have you check them out? Im part of Expedition Portal as DeepAboveSurface and, just recently found American Adventurist (so far not really impressed with AA). You cant beat the Comradery of the FSJ croud. Ive learned so much from this site (and the other site) that i feel i should just do a trip visiting all of my fellow Full Size Jeepers go camping and treat them to some Texas Fajitas and Dos A Ritas.

My biggest problem was trying to figure out which vehicle to prepare for such trips. My 2005 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew or my 1990 Grand Wagoneer. Id like to take my Wagoneer. Ive been researching different setups that people have done for rear storage, car & truck camping and getting the best of everyones ideas and incorporating them into my camping. Theres no need to re design the wheel right? Our main thing would be an Aux tank (im itching to build one, just to get a smoother ride from my 4in spring lift). and EFI i think.

OKAY, to answer your question. Id be interested in meeting up with you for this trip. I should be finishing my RN in just over a year and a half and my Wagoneer will be ready by next winter.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I've looked a little bit at the Pan Am HWY and looking for the first time at the Trans AM site right now. Can you run the Trans AM with a vehicle or only a motorbike?

I've stumbled across the Land Cruiser group "Expeditions 7"
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/expeditions-7/

They've got a lot of cool ideas that I think could be applied on a GW

That's a tough call to make. Reliability and comfort of the '05 or the 8-) of a GW.

As far as fuel tanks go have you looked into Aero Tanks? It's been awhile but I think they make a 35 or 40 gallon main and 40 gallon aux for the Wagoneer.

I'm on Expedition Portal as well but not very often. Lots of cool stuff there that can make you go very broke very fast. Pretty sure I posted a few photos on there of my M416 build. Don't think I'll be using it on this trip for sleeping due to the bear factor but it'll probably come along for the ride.

So that's a +1. :D I'm still very much in the planning stage right now.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Last time I was up there was @1980 (before my youngest son was born) and I made 4 runs up the Alaska Hwy then the Haul road (aka Dalton hwy now) starting from William's lake through Barkerville to Prince George then up to the top of the world and that was in an M715 at the time. CB radios only back then. No cell phones. I watch Ice Road truckers and wonder what the hell I was thinking back then.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Was it even paved back then? Must have been one heck of a ride bouncing around in that '715.

Which reminds me...Ran into this guy back over the summer who's run the Alcan several times with his J20.

There's another J truck that's been posted up every now and then with the photo @ the arctic circle.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I was working in Prince George about the time you were through there Carnuck!
I rented a place in Summit, north of town and made a few trips north on both highways. Seems the pavement stopped around Terrace. I vividly remember the steep roads and the turns where they drove railroad ties into the road base to prevent washouts...I hit one that had frost heaved. It struck the differential pumpkin and launched the tires about 2 feet off the road. Oh, and 3 foot frost heaved pavement section I saw too late in my 69 Charger. The only things missing from that jump was the Dukes horn and a YeeHaw!
Ahh the memories!
If I had the means, I would make the whole run for sure.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I saw LOTS of frost heaving on the road between Bella Bella and Willy's Pond in the summer time when we went camping at Nimpo lake and Goldbridge.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle