Emissions legal fuel injection for a 91 Wagoneer with a 401

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Emissions legal fuel injection for a 91 Wagoneer with a 401

Post by Nikkormat »

OK, now theoretically what is the easiest way to make a 91 Wagoneer with fuel injection and a 401 pass emissions inspection? Obviously, an emissions referee doesn't need to know that it isn't a 360. But the 2150 might not be the best or most tune able choice for a warmed over 401 at altitude. I'm also missing a couple of the vacuum bits and bobs from the 91's emission system that would be essential to passing emissions with the stock system. So is there a system (like the howell kit) that will pass inspection with a 401 hidden between the fenders? My engine should be fine with the stock manifold, if using an aftermarket is not possible.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tgreese

Re: Emissions legal fuel injection for a 91 Wagoneer with a 401

Post by tgreese »

Does it say 401 on the block?

Which fuel injection system? Howell is it, AFAIK. The Howell kit will give you a CARB sticker that says your system is 50 state legal. But of course, if they look closely enough they will see that the ECU/chip is not from Howell. And the Howell system still requires you to have a factory catalytic convertor, PCV, vapor recovery, and EGR. And no spark control.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

From what I can find, Communist-Fornia is the only state that would care that the engine is non original. And frankly I don't think they would have any reason to check. From what I've found on the Howell kit the CARB order is for "Jeep V8's" and that the kit can be ordered for any 304, 360, 401 V8.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devic ... -452-1.pdf

But, does it only work for 81 and older vehicles?

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

Howell is the only one. They are the only ones willing to jump through the certification financial hoops.
It's up to you to know the basics for your CO emissions codes that's the only way to get anything modified to pass. We have guys getting stuff passed/ exempted here in CA all the time, but they know the rules and live where the referees are allowed to do their jobs. By code we can repair only engine changes with out transmission and transfer case is not allowed, oops.

Do not rely on that letter on Howell site. It is not a CA state letter and was written by Howell although it has been known to work for some.
Howell now list the CA v8 kit good to 93 that must have been a recent change with the price increase.

Use the Howell install manual to learn what vacuum and emission bits you will need to keep.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Howell is the only way. You do have to have all the air injection and vacuum hoses there, even the ones going to the exhaust manifolds. The vacuum hoses (except for EGR) don't have to function, just be there. The air injection to the manifolds will have to be somehow blocked for the fuel injection to run properly.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Nikkormat wrote:From what I can find, Communist-Fornia is the only state that would care that the engine is non original. And frankly I don't think they would have any reason to check. From what I've found on the Howell kit the CARB order is for "Jeep V8's" and that the kit can be ordered for any 304, 360, 401 V8.

Nope, works for newer models as well, including 1991
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devic ... -452-2.pdf
However since the 401 was never an option technically it is not legal. Just play dumb virtually nobody can tell the difference.
With a good CAT, EGR, and vapor canister you can breeze right through smog testing w/ TBI tuned correctly.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Perfect, thanks babywag.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote:From what I can find, Communist-Fornia is the only state that would care that the engine is non original. And frankly I don't think they would have any reason to check. From what I've found on the Howell kit the CARB order is for "Jeep V8's" and that the kit can be ordered for any 304, 360, 401 V8.

I have never seen a smog station check block numbers, ever.

They check timing, sniffer of course, see if the stock air cleaner is there, and the fuel vapor test. My J10 actually passed smog when I bought it with the majority of the vacuum system not there, and a non-functioning EGR.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Gabe - the main thing you need to worry about with a TBI for Colorado emissions is to have the charcoal canister physically present and ensure it makes the appearance of having the hoses routed. The guys who work for the emissions places don't know anything about cars and won't even be able to tell that it has a TBI (as opposed to carb) other than the fact that it will be a lot cleaner than stock (tail pipe emissions).

At least that has been my experience over the years.

Grab a system from the yard, bring it over to my house and let's wrench.

Edit - you also need to retain the smog pump. Same thing tho - just make it 'appear' to be connected.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Thanks Blake, but this is all planning at this point for if I end up with the 91.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Cool man. lemme know if/when I can help.

but keep in mind that at some point, your TBI wiring harness will look pretty much just like this:

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Blake wrote:Gabe - the main thing you need to worry about with a TBI for Colorado emissions is to have the charcoal canister physically present and ensure it makes the appearance of having the hoses routed. The guys who work for the emissions places don't know anything about cars and won't even be able to tell that it has a TBI (as opposed to carb) other than the fact that it will be a lot cleaner than stock (tail pipe emissions).

At least that has been my experience over the years.
X2. I had my 401 pass the IM240 just fine with a 401 and TBI system. They didn't ask about the carb and I didn't say anything.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

derf

Post by derf »

I ended up with some extra AIR system hoses and the big valve that diverts everything if you need it. Let me know if you want it.

Oh, and Blake, what did you do about the bowl vent hose to the charcoal canister? With no bowl, there's nothing to hook it to.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

derf wrote:I ended up with some extra AIR system hoses and the big valve that diverts everything if you need it. Let me know if you want it.

Oh, and Blake, what did you do about the bowl vent hose to the charcoal canister? With no bowl, there's nothing to hook it to.
I'm not Blake, but I think I just plugged that vent hose....
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

You could have a dummy line running up under the air cleaner with a plug in it...

Bill usn-1

Post by Bill usn-1 »

A little input to contradict those that say the Howell system is the only one that will pass emissions in CO.
I have sold many systems for many types of vehicles in CO and none have had a problem passing emissions.
There are several counties in CO that require a visual inspection as well as the tailpipe inspection.
I would advise anyone asking, to check the specific county where they live and talk to the inspection station itself to see what original equipment needs to be retained.
I just worked with a customer in one of the visual inspection counties in CO and once he talked to the inspection station, setting up a legal system was pretty easy and straight forward.
Keep in mind that CARB is California air research board and NOT Colorado air research board.
When I want to know what the rules are I google directly to the .gov site for that state so I know I am getting facts and not web forum answers.
Any changes in the intake air like air injection or EGR must not change the mixture ahead of the O2 sensor. Air injection, if required, will need to be plumbed into the cat. EGR, if active, needs to be controlled by the ECM.
And EGR may need to be present to pass a visual but is not required to operate to pass the tail pipe testing.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Thank's for chiming in Bill, I thought you might offer some insight. Looking at the regulations in CO it seems that a home made system should be able to pass fine. I've even head from people in commie-fornia that they sneak through with TBI and the EGR hooked up as a dummy. My concern would be passing in the future, especially IF I had to move unexpectedly. The CARB sticker just seemed like a good get out of jail free card when I was researching this.