New MSD distributor setup for Fitech

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Re: New MSD distributor setup for Fitech

Post by ShagWagon »

ShagWagon wrote:Fitech shows another way to do it http://fitechefi.com/fitech-uploads/201 ... inalV5.pdf

involving lining up with the reluctor exactly and rotating the rotor in the proper direction to line up perfectly if it's off.

I followed that to check and it's lined up perfectly. I will assume I'm phased correctly by this method and needs no adjustment until I can get a holy cap to test like utube says to.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

You can see my mark and how on it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

:-bd Looks pretty close, to me.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

babywag

Post by babywag »

keep in mind that is a static position with no advance added by ecm.
another important part is where the rotor is @ when full advance occurs.
that is where problems can occur. if rotor moves too far from cap terminal.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

az chip

Post by az chip »

Pardon my ignorance. I thought the final position for rotor phasing was just before the pick up, not at it.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Abunchahicks

Post by Abunchahicks »

I don't believe that is phased. That's why MSD sells an adjustable rotor. I phased mine just like Bill suggest at the leading corner of the rotor so that when it's at full advance it will be in the middle.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Technically, once the reluctor comes within the near field of the pickup, things start happeneing...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Technically, once the reluctor comes within the near field of the pickup, things start happeneing...
Yep. I don't know how to say it more clearly, so here's a pic. That metal part in the middle of the pickup is ancillary, you can't see the field of the pickup.

I can tell already this is one of those threads where there's so much "info" on the internet that it doesn't matter how clearly you explain the "how" , it will be drowned out by 5000 different "what"s.

Point blank, you can't observe what's happening. You don't have the means to. You have somewhere between 10 and 15 degrees of static "phase" where the rotor tip and cap terminals are close to each other. "Phasing" the rotor just puts the rotor tip and terminals within that 10-15 degrees when the engine (or at least it's iginition) is at max load (resistance) with all other operating conditions secondary.

99% of the info on rotor phasing out there is either for 1/4 mile performance, or extrapolated from 1/4 mile performance (basically the entire Chevy community). Unless you want to understand the electrical theory behind it, you have to take it all with a grain of salt.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The Method of Moments backs your supposition Red :)
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

babywag

Post by babywag »

the bigger picture is with efi the ecm dictates when it fires, it uses the signal from reluctor/pickup and then after sensor inputs, some calculations it determines when the firing events occur.

Bill USN-1 has a good writeup/explanation for duraspark phasing for EFI.
The MSD is the exact same stuff in a prettier more expensive package.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=161925
Read that to get a better understanding of what's needed.

Changing reluctor position, pickup position, or rotor position all accomplish the same.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)