FiTech Fuel Command Center no go for wheelin.

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
ShagWagon

FiTech Fuel Command Center no go for wheelin.

Post by ShagWagon »

Oh yeah. Jeep did great 150 mile round trip. Except when we did a little slow wheelin to get to the top and idled for a few minutes to take some pics and hang out and things got warm.

Engine did great but the FCC cooked up the fuel pump some exposing a major flaw for off roading and it got hot and shut off and wouldn't restart. Combined with the extra heat from the hills we climbed, elevation, and idling. Not enough fuel seems to circulate from the gas tank to keep the sump cool enough as it doesn't draw enough cool gas when it idles the sump can was hotter than hell to the touch. A couple handfuls of ice and a few minutes wait it started back up and cooled off just fine all the way back np once the air circulation and gas circulation did its thing.

It had happened to me right after I installed the new ignition system and was idling in the driveway a few weeks earlier.it died after idling for a long time. I chalked it off to new ignition settings and bigger spark plug gap etc... and the long 20+ minute idle. I tried to duplicate it the next few days but couldn't.

I called fitech support and they said to send it back so that they could test it. And that they would replace the fuel pump if it was defective. Pump worked great and as it should sooo...

Im building an in tank hi pressure fuel pump system tomorrow and FCC will go back to summit with no good recommendations from me for the fitech fuel command center in a 4x4 or any other vehicle that may idle wich pretty much narrows it down to everything....

Summit was great on taking it back though with no hassles. So if you have one, return it before the warranty expires.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

WT91

Re: FiTech Fuel Command Center no go for wheelin.

Post by WT91 »

If you are thinking of going in-tank, the common Blazer rear fuel tank is an easy install and if you get it with the CPI fuel pump will easily handle TBI or MPFI pressures.

Sorry to hear about your issues, love Summit for being easy to work with.
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer
    440 swap, 727 MVB, NP208, D44 F/R 4.10 gears ZIP locker up front Detroit out back. So much other stuff. Check out the build.
  • 1994 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
    7.3 PS, ZF5, 6.0 Intercooler, KC Turbo

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

That's a bummer. Glad the return was easy.

X2 on the 91-ish TWO DOOR Blazer rear tank. It has a unique baffle system that helps keep the pump submerged in fuel even off-camber or pointed up or down.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Here's a build your own using your existing fuel sending unit. 80psi and 255lph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ShagWagon on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Here is the Novak ready to drop in(?) for $236 with a Delphi 62psi 35gph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I don't think the mechanical pumps enough fuel at idle. Then engine turns too slow. Then the FCC sump level slowly drops heating the pump till it croaks.

Can't be good for the pump life either.

Rid yourself of it.

I dealt with it for about 9 months wondering why my stuff didn't work right.

I just went on a trip all over the mountains using a full tank of gas and all went well with no problems at all with my in tank unit.

I checked at the top of the mountain after some controlled heat abuse and the fuel intake was warm but not hot.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

On FiTech website they say not to use the FCC in off road applications, guess this is why. Just bought the FiTech go street and the Novak pump myself :)
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'