Commence TBI install... 3..2..1

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Xplitive

Commence TBI install... 3..2..1

Post by Xplitive »

Getting ready to swap to an Edelbrock manifold and install TBI. Realized if I think ahead then maybe will find more enjoyment upon completion.
Two things came to mind. First is to Take the ignition advance out at distributor before pulling it to both install the manifold and do the lockout mod for timing control with the distributor.
Second is, should I be soliciting the forum for a burned chip from a similar waggy? I know me and doing the computer stuff is going to be slow and tedious. Heck it took me 4 months to complete an a/c rebuild on the truck, can’t image how long I’ll need to learn the computer stuff. I’d rather learn at my own pace without disabling the truck too long is my thought process behind seeking a chip to have handy at first startup.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

toothofwar

Re: Commence TBI install... 3..2..1

Post by toothofwar »

Bill Hamilton over on the binder planet forum can hook you up. If I remember correctly, he will custom burn you a tune to your rig. I can't remember the details, but I do remember it was really reasonable on price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Thanks, looks like a small veteran owned business, even better.
Erik

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Yup. And a really great guy. I have personally spoke with him a few times now over my tbi install. He can walk anyone through one of these installs, and has a great setup for tuning to your specific needs.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

If you're not handy with a computer or simple don't want to mess with one, I would recommend on of the newer turnkey systems available now. There are a few threads here about folks who have installed them and been very happy.

If you go the GM based TBI route, you can VERY easily modify the stock distributor to lock out the mechanical advance. See my website for more TBI details. If you're looking at GM TBI and sending chips back and forth to someone, you will have to data log and now you are working with a computer again. At that point, might as well do your own tuning, as it is VERY easy to do with software and hardware from www.moates.net.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Yup already have the TBI and referenced your site. I’ll learn the programming simply because I want to but it will be methodical and slow. Someone else’s baseline will give me something to start the car and, hopefully, be driveable while tuning is worked on. That’s the thinking anyways.
Erik

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

The good thing about our rigs is if the motor is fairly stock, then a stock sbc 350 tune will get it running good enough to start tuning from what I hear. What is the ecm number you have?