Sniper / EGR?

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Sniper / EGR?

Post by weeegoneeer »

Hey all!

Thinking about getting a holley sniper, and was wondering if any of you are running EGR with it? Any problems / stuff to look out for?
1984 GW

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Sniper / EGR?

Post by Stuka »

I guess it depends on how much swing the ECU has. The O2 sensor will detect the richer state when the EGR opens, which would then trigger the ECU to go leaner. As long as that falls in its window, it should be ok? But I do not have any first hand experience with it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

So, is EGR just not a thing with fuel injection? I could swear my 1st car ('84 Ford Tempo) had an EGR, and TBI. I like the idea of cooler temps in non-performance situations. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. About to order a manifold, and want to get the right one, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks all!
1984 GW

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Every EFI car has EGR. But in those vehicles the ECU typically controls the EGR too. In our Jeeps the EGR is controlled by vacuum. The ECU should be able to adjust for the change in mixture. Was hoping somebody else here would speak up about using it. But like I said, you should be fine. Worst case is you just don't run vacuum to it.
2017 JKU Rubicon

az chip

Post by az chip »

Stuka wrote:Every EFI car has EGR. But in those vehicles the ECU typically controls the EGR too. In our Jeeps the EGR is controlled by vacuum. The ECU should be able to adjust for the change in mixture. Was hoping somebody else here would speak up about using it. But like I said, you should be fine. Worst case is you just don't run vacuum to it.
I'll let you know soon. I have EGR on a Eddy intake with a Sniper system.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Emailed Holley tech support and got the following answer. I honestly thought EGR keeps combustion temps DOWN?

Anyway, guess the Sniper wasn't designed to run w/EGR.

Thanks for contacting Holley Tech Support.

The Sniper is not designed to work with any kind of EGR system or be emission compliant. If you don''t need EGR for emissions i would recommend taking it off, it doesn''t do the motor any good to have the hot exhaust gases going back through the intake.

If you have any further questions, we can continue this email, or you can give us a call in Holley Technical Support, 270-781-9741 and any one of our techs can help you.

Thanks for choosing Holley Performance Products,
1984 GW

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Well, he is right that EGR routes exhaust through the intake. So that does heat the intake up. But it richens the mixture, which can help keep EGT's lower.

I get the feeling this guy is a lower tier support guy, and just knows the sniper isn't smog legal. I say give it a try. Worst case is you have to unplug the vacuum line and not use it.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

az chip wrote:I'll let you know soon. I have EGR on a Eddy intake with a Sniper system.
AZ - Wondering if you've been able to try it out? Am thinking I have a few weeks before machining is done.

Thanks!
1984 GW

babywag

Post by babywag »

Stuka wrote:Well, he is right that EGR routes exhaust through the intake. So that does heat the intake up.
I get the feeling this guy is a lower tier support guy, and just knows the sniper isn't smog legal. I say give it a try. Worst case is you have to unplug the vacuum line and not use it.
Obviously tech not familiar w/AMC and the exhaust crossover either? That crossover in heads & intake heat crap out of the intake.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

az chip

Post by az chip »

weeegoneeer wrote:
az chip wrote:I'll let you know soon. I have EGR on a Eddy intake with a Sniper system.
AZ - Wondering if you've been able to try it out? Am thinking I have a few weeks before machining is done.

Thanks!
No. Working on Christmas. I work at fedex. I can tell you idle right now is an issue. I have fixed the large swing of AFR issues and high idle. After Christmas will be the testing/learning phase.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Awesome - thanks for the update!
1984 GW

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Wound up just getting the no EGR intake - too many variables. Still curious how it works out for you AZ!
1984 GW