which distributor for sniper

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
DARREN LILLY

which distributor for sniper

Post by DARREN LILLY »

Hi 1st post thanks for adding me to the group. Got a 1980 chief that I want to convert to the holley sniper injection but there seems a few choices for the disributor, I currently have a msd system installed & think this will work but also see a holley dual synch & a holley sniper hyperspark as choices, whats best. Thinking the hyperspark is the way to go. What else would be needed, ignition module, coil ? I will be getting the master kit for the injection. Thanks Darren
1979 chief 360 auto QT Australia

1979bettywhite

Re: which distributor for sniper

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I am running basically a stock distributor with mine. Just had it all installed. Running just fine.

derf

Post by derf »

I'm running an MSD distributor with my Holley TBI and it works fine. I'm using the TBI computer with a GM HEI 8 pin module to control timing.

If you're happy with the MSD setup you already have, there's really no reason you have to change it if you don't want to.

melford72

Post by melford72 »

Unless I’m mistaken, the Hyperspark dizzy actually IS made by MSD, so there’s no real reason for you to upgrade. You’ll probably want a new ignition module if you want it to control the timing.

For what it’s worth, I’m running sniper and hyperspark everything in mine—but my whole ignition system was junk and due for an upgrade.
70 Custom Special
Not running at the moment, but LMG/4L60e in the works! :mrgreen:

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

Topic author
DARREN LILLY

Post by DARREN LILLY »

I think your right on hyperspark being msd, it has sniper scribed into the body so I thought it was made to suit the the sniper efi system. So if I stick with what I've got the sniper master kit should be all I need to order to make it run?

melford72

Post by melford72 »

You'll definitely be able to make it run with the master kit. But you might need a new ignition module if you want the Sniper to be able to control timing. But that's up to you. A lot of people do the TBI first and then update the ignition module and coil down the road. I just did it all in one go because the Wagoneer is my DD and I didn't want to screw with it again later.

FWIW, the electric pump that comes with the Sniper master kit can be a little loud — depending on where/how you mount it. And make sure your fuel pickup is as low as possible in your tank. I'm in the process of working through that now. ;P
70 Custom Special

Previously, 72 Wagoneer

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Do you have another pump that you have swapped out for the stock one with the Sniper? I notice mine a bit when sitting still at a light etc., but its fairly faint and only I can really hear it.

melford72

Post by melford72 »

Do you have another pump that you have swapped out for the stock one with the Sniper? I notice mine a bit when sitting still at a light etc., but its fairly faint and only I can really hear it.
I’m running the pump that came with the sniper master kit. (I think it’s a Walbro?) It’s bolted to the frame right under the drivers seat, so thats why I think it’s a little loud. But that’s just my opinion. I’ve heard of other in line pumps mounted in ways that quiet them down, but have never tried it myself, and FI/electric pump stuff is new to me. Do you have yours attached via some kind of dampening bracket? Or am I just being picky? :P
70 Custom Special

Previously, 72 Wagoneer

acct21

Post by acct21 »

The Hyperspark may be an MSD product, but it is a Hall Effect sensor distributor, whereas the MSD distributors are primarily magnetic pickup trigger distributors. Lots of writeups on issues with the magnetic pickup distributors (especially the MSD) running timing on the Sniper EFI. Works well for some -- not so well for others. Suspect it is related to electrical interference with the trigger signal to the ECM, which for whatever reason isn't an issue with the Hall Effect sensor.

I still have the stock Duraspark/Motorcraft in mine. It has run so well that I haven't bothered with trying to convert it over to timing control.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

melford72 wrote:
I’m running the pump that came with the sniper master kit. (I think it’s a Walbro?) It’s bolted to the frame right under the drivers seat, so thats why I think it’s a little loud. But that’s just my opinion. I’ve heard of other in line pumps mounted in ways that quiet them down, but have never tried it myself, and FI/electric pump stuff is new to me. Do you have yours attached via some kind of dampening bracket? Or am I just being picky? :P
Mine is attached similar to yours. On the driver side inside frame rail with the bracket that came with the kit. Although we fabbed up a bracket for it to mount to on the rail.

Mine seemed to make the most noise when I came to a stop (a touch louder). Like it was struggling to pump fuel. I think that is mainly due to the EFI not calling for fuel so it temporarily has a lack of fuel flowing through it. Once I came to a stop and the idle settled it seemed to go back to the regular pump sound. But no issues so far on getting fuel to the EFI when I call for it.

I actually think the progressive linkage quieted this issue down a bit for me (no, it didn't quiet it down overall, lol). But I think that since only the primaries are opening up most of the time, on a slowdown there is not as much fuel that is quickly turned off, therefore the pump process is more linear? I don't know, I am guessing through my hearing and feeling.

Topic author
DARREN LILLY

Post by DARREN LILLY »

I got the fuel injection installed but the msd distributer has internal damage to the coil & cap so I ordered a hyperspark distributer & coil to suit. Do I need anything else to make this work like control modules etc when I remove the msd distributer system. What is the proper ignition module to suit the hyperspark for timing control & can the msd one be used in the mean time. Thanks

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Basically you want a duraspark style distributer, be it stock or MSD. But you do *NOT* wan't an HEI. HEI distributers have weak tach signals and can cause the ECU to misread engine RPM. Which then leads to some weird running issues.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
DARREN LILLY

Post by DARREN LILLY »

I had the choice between repair the existing distributer or get a new one so I ordered the sniper hyperspark because I think this is made to suit the sniper fi. Also had to order it quick as we werent aware it was damaged & it was the only one I could find here & the car is at the mechanics getting the fi installed but now held up till these parts arrive, I also ordered the hyperspark coil to suit just not sure if I need to change anything else to complete the hyperspark ignition system. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Darren

Topic author
DARREN LILLY

Post by DARREN LILLY »

ended up needing a ignition control module also to complete the sniper system, the tbi, distributer, coil & ignition module should all be compatable & able to communicate with each other.

melford72

Post by melford72 »

DARREN LILLY wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 pm ended up needing a ignition control module also to complete the sniper system, the tbi, distributer, coil & ignition module should all be compatable & able to communicate with each other.
Wondering how this is going. Is it up and running? Rest of the install go okay?
70 Custom Special

Previously, 72 Wagoneer

Topic author
DARREN LILLY

Post by DARREN LILLY »

I had the sniper distributer, coil & ignition module installed & ran the fuel through a fitech command centre 2. Broke down 3x after approx 15mins each time. Thinking about putting a 350 chev crate engine in it, would be easier to get parts here for it &maybe use the 360 in a cj10. Any recommendations which 350 engine to get for highway cruising, seems a few to choose from & costs vary.

melford72

Post by melford72 »

This should give you a good starting place:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/en ... m/fsj-swap

The modern LS motors come in a variety of sizes/options/flavors and since seemingly everyone under the sun is swapping them into pretty much any and everything imaginable, I’m told that the conversions are comparatively easy. The LS swap thread in here is good too.

This is the route that I’m going and I’ll know more when I get further down the road with my own swap, but lots of buddies have done this to their cars (most recently into a good friend’s Nova) and everyone swears it’s the way to go.
70 Custom Special

Previously, 72 Wagoneer