Sniper EFI Installed

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

babywag

Re: Sniper EFI Installed

Post by babywag »

There is zero benefit/reason to run 13.5 @ idle.
Just wasting fuel.

Contact Holley or see what AFR is actually calibrated to.
If you're running real gas w/o ethanol you can run leaner then if you're running E10.

You can easily lean it out some without any risk to engine.
Not going to burn it up unless you're doing a leaned out WOT 1/4 mile run. To damage an engine just driving around you would have to be extremely lean for a long time.

just my .02
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

derf

Post by derf »

IAC should stabilize under 10 when you're sitting at idle. There should be an adjuster on the throttle stop and you adjust it to get the IAC to settle where you want it.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Thanks guys. I will try reaching out to Holley. The idle AFR is actually set to 13.5. IAC usually does stabilize in the 10-12 are at idle.

Currently running 93 through her now as was recommended by the shop that did the install. I have access to ethanol free fuel as well, so I will see what Holley says about that as well.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

In reading more on here as well as some of Holley's forum sites, it seems as though Holley has a CYA policy in effect with the Sniper and gives you initial settings that will keep you from imploding your engine and blaming them, lol. Although I can say I don't blame them, better to steer people to the safe side on things like this when you have guys like me with virtually 0 EFI experience running around.

I think I am going to try and bump my idle and cruise AFR up a bit to see if I can get some improvement and fuel economy back. Currently the best I am getting around town is about 8 mpgs. Which seems pretty low. Although I do have to consider the lift and the 33s, but I think I should at least be around the 10+ mark around town.

Thinking about bumping idle up to 13.9 and cruise to 14.3 to start (current 13.5 and 14.1). Then slowly bump from there. Any other tips you guys might have?

babywag

Post by babywag »

Find out what Holley uses for "AFR"
AFR is just a conversion of lambda or 1.0
1.0 is ideal combustion and low emissions.
Below 1 is rich above 1 is lean.
They display AFR so people understand what they're used to.

If they're using gasoline(e0) then 14.7 = 1.0
e10 is 14.13 = 1.0

So with gasoline AFR 14.7 is ideal...anything below is rich anything above is lean.
Running/setting idle AFR to 13.5 or 13.9 is just wasteful and pointless.
You want better mileage bump it up to 14.7 for idle/cruise
Last edited by babywag on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Thanks babywag. Plan to give them a call today and see what is suggested.

Topic author
1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Well, Holley wasn't that helpful, or maybe you would interpret as they were. They said basically the most improvement that can be made is to let the Sniper EFI system control timing. Which means either the Hyperspark system or an MSD distributor and ignition box. I am going to look into the Hyperspark system as that one seems as it may be the way to go. In the meantime I will see what bumping up the initial settings will do to help things.

babywag

Post by babywag »

1979bettywhite wrote:Well, Holley wasn't that helpful, or maybe you would interpret as they were. They said basically the most improvement that can be made is to let the Sniper EFI system control timing. Which means either the Hyperspark system or an MSD distributor and ignition box. I am going to look into the Hyperspark system as that one seems as it may be the way to go. In the meantime I will see what bumping up the initial settings will do to help things.
typical...buy more of our products lol
but yes timing control will improve things.
a system that doesn't control timing is incomplete.
as you are finding out there is no such thing as a self tuning system. all just marketing hype/misleading consumers.

I would bet $ they have it calibrated to e0/gasoline
So 14.7 would be normal like countless other oem systems.
You should be able to safely run there or even slightly above with good results.
WOT and power enrichment/acceleration is generally the only place you need to be richer.

EDIT: I would say Holley for sure has it setup/calibrated to gasoline/E0 from their manual
Target air fuel ratio at idle
Typically between 13.5 and 15.0. Engines with larger cams may
need a richer setting for smoothest idle.
Target air fuel ratio at cruise
Typically between 13.5 and 15.5. Engines with larger cams may
need a richer setting for smoothest operation.
Target air fuel ratio at WOT
Typically between 12.0 and 12.8. Running richer may reduce
power. Running leaner may reduce power or cause potential
engine damage

No way they would be utilizing these instructions in their manual if it was anything else.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)