hmm, 4.5 international diesel

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
husker77

hmm, 4.5 international diesel

Post by husker77 »

One of our work trucks got totaled today and it has a 4.5 international diesel in it. Basically it is a 6.0 powerstroke with 2 less cylinders, rated at 200hp and 440 ft/lbs of torque. I would assume some of the 6.0 performance parts would work. I think it has a ford torqueshift 5 speed auto, so I think I could convert that to 4x4, maybe. Weighs about 850 lbs but it is very wide at 38.3" wide and 40" tall, so that could be a bit of an issue, not sure if that includes the turbo or what. Might have to talk to the boss about getting what is left after they take the parts off they will save. Might not work or happen, and I don't remember the miles of the truck but kind of seems like something to pursue.

shortbus4x4

Re: hmm, 4.5 international diesel

Post by shortbus4x4 »

Make sure you get all the electronics and harnesses for the engine and transmission. They are really wide, I can remember looking at the ones I used to work on and discussing swapping it in something else with the boss.

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

If I get it I will probably get the entire thing minus the box. I am sure I will have to buy it back from the insurance company. They don't know what is going on yet, I imagine they will pull the box off and put it on another chassis/cab. It only has like 40,000 miles and 1000 hours. I think it has the def injection, exhaust filter regen crap so that kind of makes it a little less desirable, I need to see if deleting it is fairly easy. I know they have it for the pickups with it but don't know as though there is a demand for it in the commercial truck market since most companies would not want to run afoul of emission laws.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I would love to see this project! Like you said--"It is BIG" but you should be able to pull 25-30mpg and have power to spare...

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

Found someone that tunes them for emission deletes, waiting to hear back on how much power it adds, their website sucks and it just says "perfomance-economy"

Going to talk to the boss today a see what is going on. Also the guy that owns the insurance agency that they have insurance through kind of owes me a favor or two, so might have to see what he can do to help.

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

Well just going to be waiting to see what the insurance company says and if I can buy it the $$$$.

Got an email back from the company and they said they don't tune it, it clearly has the engine listed on their website as one they do. I have emails to a few other performance diesel places.

I need to look at it objectively, the motor stock has more power than the 4bt and only weighs a couple hundred pounds more and weighs a lot less than a 5.9 cummins. I think the 5.9 is to heavy for a wagoneer that is intended to do a little bit of everything daily driver, tow, mud, snow and rocks. The 4bt support is a lot more. I hate the sound of a cummins engine! Fitting this wide motor might prove problematic. I guess I will just do more research and wait to see how it plays out.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I will measure my engine compartment on the inside from inner fender to inner fender, if you want. My parts vehicle is a 67 though. Not sure how much different the width would be on later years.

Are you willing to trim the inner fenders any? How big do you want to go on the wheels? Depending on those answers it could work. It would certainly be more unique. I agree that the 6bt is a bit too heavy for offroad duties. Its the main reason I am going with the 4bt.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Plus I think a wet 4bt with the accessories is at 825 to 859 anyway, so the weight is not more if it is 850 wet. I wish the 4bt was less... *sigh*
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Topic author
husker77

Post by husker77 »

I got plenty of parts vehicles around to measure. I am worried mostly about the master cylinder/brake booster and hvac. I will need to go hydroboost for the brakes anyway so that may take care of that, and then a vintage air unit for the hvac and that part would be gone, but it adds more cost. I seen like mid 750 lbs wet for the 4bt.