68 Gladiator-Cummins+6spd, some 1 ton fun!

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

ross80truck
Vendor

Re: 68 Gladiator-Cummins+6spd, some 1 ton fun!

Post by ross80truck »

Looking great! You are making awesome progress. I am glad that someone on here is getting something done, Resbum and I have been slacking off on our builds!
Priorities
1. God
2. Wife ( Sarah )
3. Children ( Lane & Dirk )
4. Work
5. Jeep

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

85 Wagoneer, 6bt, NV4500, Black Box, NP205, D60 front, Corp 14 rear http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1446
76 Cherokee Chief - Cheap Build - SOLD http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2605
81 Jeep Scrambler http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 301#p97301

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Haha, Thanks!

I cant wait to 'slack off' Ive been using my lunch breaks and evenings to find parts I still need, but once this projects done itll just be back onto my car for its long overdue transmission rebuild and suspension upgrades. Maybe one day though...
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins
6spd, D60 Front, D80 Rear

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Well, things are going slower than I was hoping for this weekend. The 87' Corvette radiator is a good fit however, I will not be able to fit the ac condenser and the intercoolers heat exchanger in front of the radiator. I didn't want to remote mount the heat exchanger, but it looks like I don't have much of a choice- theres a lot of room under the bed to use.

I touched up the turbos paint and installed the stock air horn. The drivers side seat is now mounted, waiting on a smaller condenser before being able to mount the radiator...

My dad patched up and has begun to extend the Thriftside fenders so they will have enough clearance for the 37" tires.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Nowhere near where I was planning things to be but the fans will fit, and I can run a condenser for the ac-although not in the optimal place...the radiators from an 87 corvette, it seems really small, but im hoping that since itd keep that car cool at 5000rpm on the track, it will keep me cool at 2000 rpm on the highway and in traffic.

Ill have an electric fan just for the condenser as well since it isn't in the flow of air.

next time down im hoping to finish the mount and to turn to the ac compressor and serpentine setup. with the serp. setup im hoping to be able to test the cooling system at idle. Ill also be tacking the driveshafts together and sending them out to be balanced. so maybe in two weeks I can drive it around the industrial park!
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Another weekend down the drain, but with a bit more progress...
Got the compressor mounted and the idler pulley installed for the new belt routing

The condenser and radiator are mounted, just need to work on the fans now.

The grille and bumpers are on which makes it look that much more complete
Still trying to think of what to do between the bumpers, that's a 1/4" plate welded to the frame rails.

I got some lengths of driveshaft tubing. The rear driveshaft, which is only 26" long, is going out to get balanced this week. I have the front cut up and will weld it myself and install in unbalanced next time im down (it wont ever see 20mph so I don't see the need to balance it).
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

The truck is really coming along! When you mention trying to decide with what to do between the front bumper ends, are you planning on mounting a winch or some other kind of equipment up there or are you thinking of how to sort of finish off that area so as not to just have the plate in the middle? I guess an old-man-style spare tire mounted up front with a cover that sports an airbrushed wilderness scene doesn't quite fit the bill. Do you fish off the beach? A beach rig would have a big cooler mounted up front with rod holders. As for the white paint on the body, it looks great in the photos. That's awesome that your dad is helping you out so much on this truck.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks! without my dads help I don't know where id be. I wouldn't have a winch on it rite away, but I was thinking some kind of brush guard to make the middle 'flow' better than that rectangular shape. The fishing pole/ cooler is a good idea though, I may have to incorporate some of that into whatever I do.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Jesse baker

Post by Jesse baker »

looks like a full time job just building your dream jeep.

bigwalton

Post by bigwalton »

Sweet mother of diesel awesomeness.

Just read through all of this, absolutely love it. Great stuff!

Can't wait to see you get a drive in it.
'77 Cherokee S - EFI 401
'84 Alaskan Postal Scrambler
'18 JKU Rubi Recon
'01 XJ - kid's DD
'01 XJ - winter beater
'18 Renegade

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks!

Ive been counting the days and weeks, and my estimates keep coming up short haha...soon though, theoretically in a couple weeks it could be mechanically done
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

We got the driveshaft back from being balanced. Fun fact: when you have a cummins w/ a 6spd & t-case and you put it into a 120" wheelbase truck you only need a 2.5' driveshaft!

My dad mounted the fenders to the bed sides and started making the tail gate hinges.
I found a solution for the fan issue, I had a Taurus fan but it only took up a bit over half of the radiator and needed to have mounts made up. I pulled a used Lincoln Mark 8 single fan two speed 18" dia fan and its shroud. Im hoping that next weekend we can put some coolant in the system, bleed the clutch and brakes and drive it a couple blocks (among other probably unobtainable goals).
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Fenders are coming along. I plan on heading down to install the fan and radiator hoses, plug the front axle disconnect in, and bleed the hydraulics. Im also hoping to connect the parking brake, speedometer, and tachometer (sensor just needs a 5V source).

the start of the fender skirts:
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I saw and waved to the Green Demon Friday but I was in the Ranger. I was turning in front of you on Winter lake. Soon, you'l be driving the Jummins :)

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

I saw you wave and figured that was you, but it was too late- I was shifting out of gear and all I could get out was a nod. I cant wait to get the "jummins" on the road, to expedite this im saving some projects for up here once its in one piece - Like A/C, stereo, and probably upholstery as well...but its coming to a close
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

One More till the weekend...
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

I always come short of where I want to be by sunday night, but this time it was close to my estimate. I wedged a Lincoln Mark 8 fan between the engine and the radiator. I thought that the stock Lincoln shroud had a lot of empty space, but it turns out when the fan is on high (apparently 3500+cfm of air) the plastic fan sucks towards the radiator and distorts. the fan is under 1/4" away from the idler pulley, but its in there for good. My dad is working on the bed skirts, we'll be taking it off the truck for paint next weekend.
We ran the engine for 20+mins for the thermostat to open, its all good, but I didn't run it much past that since the fan was rattling into the radiator. The clutch and brake system needs to be bled, but otherwise its ready to move on its own power.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYn6qCmPlf4[/youtube]
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

bigwalton

Post by bigwalton »

That video makes me horny. Awesome!
'77 Cherokee S - EFI 401
'18 JKU Rubi Recon
'01 XJ - kid's DD
'01 XJ - winter beater
'18 Renegade

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks (I think) and your welcome (I think) Haha...I also took another video while waiting for the thermostat to open, starting away from the truck (proof that it is indeed inside of the gladiator and not a dodge haha) it has some fun turbo sounds in it too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5BXw6-Ueg[/youtube]

Just ordered the brake lights and the tubing to plumb the intake, hopefully they will be here by Friday
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

bigwalton

Post by bigwalton »

So full of win.
'77 Cherokee S - EFI 401
'18 JKU Rubi Recon
'01 XJ - kid's DD
'01 XJ - winter beater
'18 Renegade

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Cool build, nice job
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill