Moab FSJ March 31 - April 4 2016

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

csuengr

Re: Moab FSJ March 31 - April 4 2016

Post by csuengr »

shimniok wrote:We made it back. But it was quite a long day fraught with issues. More later.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
I can't speak of the oil pressure issue, but as far as electrical, check you grounds. They tend to get loose due to heat, grime, vibration, and just cause.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

shimniok wrote:
Sigh. It was a great trip and we had a blast with you all. Thanks for the rear end help too...
I still have that AMC 20 in the back. If you are still interested, I can find a way to shove it in the back of the Cherokee and haul it down.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

csuengr wrote:
I thought you were running TBI.
TBI can't help this: https://youtu.be/daf6XakS5tI

At this point I had been off the highway for ten minutes and had just filled up with cold gas. Driving down I-70 with the cap off gas was gysering out of the filler neck like old faithful. Every seven miles or so I had to pull off. Died on 70 five times.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Bummer about the air pump.

HUGE bummer about Scott's 5.3. Hopefully it's something simple.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

After fueling up in grand junction it ran a little better, I made it to the slow zone in Glenwood canyon.

There I ran into Blake out of gas on the side of the road. He filled up and we convoyed slow to gypsem. After filling up again it ran fine. I was even able to put the gas cap back on.

I made it home at 9:30 after leaving Moab at 12:30. Sounds like I had it easy compared to you guys though.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

We just got home too. Here is the short list of carnage;

Dually front bumper... (don't ask)

Dually 4l80e gearstar tranny lost the rear output bushing and was spewing oil. Fixed. (Don't ask)

Dually was overheating. Stock radiator that is old.

Dually was running like chit over the passes due to overheating.

Machined the rear honcho driveshaft due to broken traction bar bolt. Spare shaft was 1" too long and had to get it shortened at the shop.

Other than that it was epic wheeling. EPIC!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote:
csuengr wrote:
I thought you were running TBI.
TBI can't help this: https://youtu.be/daf6XakS5tI

At this point I had been off the highway for ten minutes and had just filled up with cold gas. Driving down I-70 with the cap off gas was gysering out of the filler neck like old faithful. Every seven miles or so I had to pull off. Died on 70 five times.
Removing the gas cap will make it boil easier. The fuel system is pressurized which raises the boiling point. You either have a fuel line that is WAY to close to the exhaust or the like, or maybe your electric fuel pump is running extremely hot causing it to heat the fuel. It takes a lot of energy to boil 20 gallons of fuel.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ExplorerTom

Post by ExplorerTom »

I seriously doubt you're "boiling" the gas. If you were boiling the gas, you probably wouldn't have been able to tell us about it. We might have caught a blurb on the news about a car fire on I-70. I would guess that you have a pressure problem. The gas cap/filler neck was the only relief because the normal pressure relief has failed. Stuka's right: the amount of energy required to boil a dozen or more gallons of gas while traveling at highway speeds with the ambient air temp in the 60s would be huge. Maybe being at all kinds of weird angles all weekend and all the bouncing and banging did something to that 42 year old vehicle's fuel system.

Great weekend of wheeling though. Great time.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

No, his gas was boiling in the tank. It happens a lot in CO for some reason.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

derf

Post by derf »

REDONE wrote:No, his gas was boiling in the tank. It happens a lot in CO for some reason.
He was at altitude, which does reduce the boiling point of the gas.

Though it would have been good to have felt the side of the tank to see what the temperature was like.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

ExplorerTom

Post by ExplorerTom »

Reason 458 as to why I love my OBDII EFI......

I read through this quickly and it had a few ideas to combat vapor lock:
http://www.militarytrader.com/military- ... r-gas-woes

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

REDONE wrote:No, his gas was boiling in the tank. It happens a lot in CO for some reason.
I have had gas in my tank boil before also. Never caused me any issues, even when I was running a carb.

One thing though, the tank NEEDS some sort of vent to allow air in as the gas is pulled out. Without this the tank will start to pull a vacuum, which not only lowers the boiling point of the gas, but also at some point the pump will not be able to pull gas out. Maybe that is why it ran better with the cap off, though Gabe's gas cap should already be vented.

I also agree with Stuka. If the furl lines are stock and running up along the engine BY the exhaust manifold, move them. With a TBI they should go up on the firewall and then forward to the throttle body.

BRUTUS

Post by BRUTUS »

Wow... sorry to hear about all the problems with Gabe's Cherokee, Troubled Child and the Super Chief. ExplorerTom and I got to Denver around 3:30pm yesterday without issue. Wish I could be of more help.

Here are some teaser pics taken Sunday on 7mile Rim.

I will make a webpage to publish all the photos and videos hopefully this weekend. I am still coming down from the best wheeling trip I have ever been a part of! Big thanks to all involved!
'74 J30 with some upgrades

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Looking forward to videos! :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The gas tank was very very hot to the touch. There is no way in hell the fuel pump could generate that much heat without cooking it's self. The exhaust is routed along side the tank and my guess is that it was the source of heat.

I had the issue the day before on 7 mile rim too. Not quite boiling but the tank would build enough pressure to flood the engine even with TBI. The cap is vented but the vent could not keep up.

I filled up at the chevron station before leaving town, maybe I got a crappy batch of fuel. But it was boiling. Violently.

With the cap on on the freeway it would flood and die. With the cap off it was starving, perhaps vapor locking. Hence the need to exit and let everything cool.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

My phone did a factory reset and I lost all pica except the last couple of days.

derf

Re: RE: Re: Moab FSJ March 31 - April 4 2016

Post by derf »

Nikkormat wrote:The gas tank was very very hot to the touch. There is no way in hell the fuel pump could generate that much heat without cooking it's self. The exhaust is routed along side the tank and my guess is that it was the source of heat.

I had the issue the day before on 7 mile rim too. Not quite boiling but the tank would build enough pressure to flood the engine even with TBI. The cap is vented but the vent could not keep up.

I filled up at the chevron station before leaving town, maybe I got a crappy batch of fuel. But it was boiling. Violently.

With the cap on on the freeway it would flood and die. With the cap off it was starving, perhaps vapor locking. Hence the need to exit and let everything cool.
Yeah, you shouldn't have the exhaust next to the tank.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Even so I think you're on to something with "winter gas" or something similar. I've been thinking about it real hard and EVERY instance where I've had boiling gas, I had bought the gas in Grand Junction or Montrose, all the way back to when I was a kid. Family trip in a brand new Dodge Caravan circa 1994), boiling gas in Goblin Valley, UT. 2012 driving home to WA from Ouray, boiling gas near Bonanza, UT. 2014, my dads 78 Wag going up Yankee Boy it was gurgling and spashing through the gas cap. 2008 driving back to WA from visiting family in a 1998 GMC Sonoma, boiling gas going up Douglas Pass.

Somewhere there's a video of Flints truck, in Utah I believe, with gas boiling out of his then-new Holley Truck Avenger, violently! I know gas can boil anywhere if it gets hot enough, but the fact that it's so concentrated on the western slope and eastern utah give pause.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Whatever happened to pissed me off. It shouldn't take six hours to get from Moab to gypsem.

I'll work on posting all of my pics and videos soon. I think I have almost 200 good ones.