Moab FSJ March 31 - April 4 2016

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

csuengr

Re: Moab FSJ March 31 - April 4 2016

Post by csuengr »

Nikkormat wrote:Whatever happened to pissed me off. It shouldn't take six hours to get from Moab to gypsem.

I'll work on posting all of my pics and videos soon. I think I have almost 200 good ones.
If everything went well, where would the story be.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

ExplorerTom

Post by ExplorerTom »

Check out the reflection on the water.

From 7 Mile Rim:

ExplorerTom

Post by ExplorerTom »

ExplorerTom

Post by ExplorerTom »

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Too COOL!
I used to live on the other side of those snow-capped mountains. Moab rocks!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Awesome pictures, keep them coming!

Bummer to hear about the problems. Speaking of gas problems... the only time my Waggy ever had an issue was going over Monarch pass after I filled up somewhere in the Ouray/Telluride area. Maybe there is something with the mountain gas winter blend...
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Nikkormat wrote:The gas tank was very very hot to the touch. There is no way in hell the fuel pump could generate that much heat without cooking it's self. The exhaust is routed along side the tank and my guess is that it was the source of heat.

I had the issue the day before on 7 mile rim too. Not quite boiling but the tank would build enough pressure to flood the engine even with TBI. The cap is vented but the vent could not keep up.

I filled up at the chevron station before leaving town, maybe I got a crappy batch of fuel. But it was boiling. Violently.

With the cap on on the freeway it would flood and die. With the cap off it was starving, perhaps vapor locking. Hence the need to exit and let everything cool.
I am trying to picture how you would route exhaust next to the fuel tank, unless you swapped a tank into the rear maybe?

Oh and awesome photos, really makes me wish it was not an 18 hour drive away.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

Nikkormat wrote:Anyone know a trick to raise the boiling point of winter gas?
In Ouray 2012, I tried to put some MMO, but it did not help, any oil at less than 2% could help. But it was hotter, in the 90's on between Moab and SLC. I had to pull over many times every 3 miles, then called AAA for fresh gas, which did not help because their gas cans are in the sun... But in my case I decided to install a pan under the transmission to improve undercarriage flow, which worked really well with 16mpg, but restricted the air flow around the cat and that cooked the gas really fast, compounded by a loose needle jet...

At lake Tahoe 8 days ago, I ran into the same issue of gas pressure with fresh gas from Sacramento or lack of venting from the gas tank, and it was in the 60's. I gradually lost speed, but there was no place to pull over on 267 going south, it is a short 10% climb... A big swoosh when I released the cap, and no problem the next day which was a warmer day, drove with the gas cap off... Going up Donner pass in the morning at 10am was easy going 65ish, until 2 miles from the summit where I could tell that the engine was struggling... on the way back 30min later it was moving in the low 60mph.

I will probably disconnect the gas tank vent at the charcoal canister and slip a breather filter.

Great picts, sorry to hear about everybody issues, yes, jeeping is an adventure.

I am heading to Moab in 8 or 9 days... mostly to exercise the off road bike w a motor.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

ExplorerTom

Post by ExplorerTom »

Here's a trip report on my local overland forum:
http://rockymountainoverland.com/forum/ ... ling.1072/

ExplorerTom

Post by ExplorerTom »

Where's everyone else's pics and video?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm fighting with the phone as we type.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

i havent download off my go pro yet. I will post pics this week
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Well, the trip out was snowy and slushy. It would have been worse but we left a couple hours late.

A leak had developed at the trans cooler the morning of departure making me a big late.

Then, rear brakes were still dragging too much for my taste and so Scott was kind enough to join me outside getting snowed on to get it sorted out.

We made it by evening. Next morning, we figured we would run Eye of the Whale trail (aka tower arch trail) in Arches.

This commemorates the first wash TC has had in ... A long time. Image

Nikkormat had a front drive shaft to install and Blake had some repairs. But we got going by late morning. Pretty standard for the FSJ crew. I'd be wrenching the next morning, myself.

We drove a tooth-rattling washboard road awhile. I was stuck behind a slow driver so I couldn't speed up enough to skim over the bumps.

If the bumps hit the tires at a frequency sufficiently outside the resonant frequency of the suspension / body / etc., and into a range that is attenuated, then the amplitude of the signal (bouncing) is minimized. If bumps occur at the resonant frequency then the amplitude is maximized. And your teeth fall out.

By lunch we made it to tower arch, stopped, ate, relaxed, explored.

The rest of the trail was fun, easy rock and sand.

Eye of the Whale arch is near the end. You can hike out and most of us did. My little girl hiked (slid) down the other side. I was too chicken.

We also found some cool dinosaur tracks right before the end of the trail.

Violet had a blast. It was cool seeing her explore. She's loved the Jeep since she was tiny so this was quite an adventure for both of us.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »