Garage floor coatings

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
REDONE

Garage floor coatings

Post by REDONE »

Let's see 'em! Who's used what and how do you like it? I might try to sneak some garage improvement work in Thanksgiving week, since my wife and baby will fly out the weekend before and I don't fly until Thanksgiving day. I'm currently torn between checkerboard white and black 12x12 CVT tiles or the red rustoleum epoxy, but I'd like to see what others have done and what they think of it. :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

hutcho

Re: Garage floor coatings

Post by hutcho »

Following. Fwiw I had that company that does the plastic diamond plate tiles send me a sample and a quote. Really cool stuff and durable as all get out, but it came in at close to 3k!!! I have 2 huge boxes of flake and enough epoxy to do several shops but the guy I bought it from failed to give me the part b. So I just have concrete currently. Interested to see what you come up with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

I used the Rustoelum stuff you get from your local home improvement store. I had good success with in my shop. It cleans up real easy with Scrubbing Bubbles or Purple Power. I am hard on it. Spilling every kind of fluid imaginable. I did apply it to virgin concrete though and I think it makes a diference. A buddy of mine used it in his garage and he had it peel up in a spot where he had spilled tranny fluid previously and did not get it cleaned up real good for a while.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... or-coating
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

ClovisMan wrote:I used the Rustoelum stuff...I did apply it to virgin concrete though and I think it makes a diference.]
I had heard that fresh concrete will outgas enough to bubble the paint. That or a high water table. How old was your concrete ? Thanks,

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Your shop is pretty nice. If it was mine and had a shower and a cot there would be no reason to have a house :P
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

One thought I had was to choose something that will best help the search for dropped nuts,bolts, etc. I hate crawling around wasting time for that one, oddball thing I dropped.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Thanks for the thread resurrection guys! I'm still working on a decision for this. A good note from Ted since that's why I'm looking at glossy red or glossy black (and neither with any of the sprinkle flecks). Nothing I drop would be able to disappear on those two colors. But I have to acknowledge that while a rusty 1/4"x20 nut would stick out like a fat guy at a tofu festival on a gloss black floor, I probably wouldn't notice any type of leaking fluid until after I was lying on my back cursing. With the red, I think fluids will be more visible, but not glaringly so. So while I've narrowed it down to those two colors, I still haven't decided which.

Another note, the only local place I can buy black garage epoxy is Diamond Vogel. None of the big box (including ACE) stores will dye the epoxy black. ACE told me they tried once, and it only got to a really dark grey. This includes Valspar, Quickrete and Rustoleum. Rustoleum has a new garage coating that looks like their "hammered" spray paint, only all over the floor (supposedly it's tougher than epoxy on top of super fancy looking). I thought about it and ruled it out for my garage. It's not worth the extra$ for what I want.

I'm also not particularly keen on any that don't come from a brick and mortar retail store. I joke that it's because if I have a problem, I want to know exactly where I'm throwing the cans back through a window but the truth is I just like buying things with money at stores. Wish I could do it with Jeep parts more often. :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Wow that looks really cool! Looks more like a bathroom floor or something fancy than a shop floor though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

yz400e wrote:
ClovisMan wrote:I used the Rustoelum stuff...I did apply it to virgin concrete though and I think it makes a diference.]
I had heard that fresh concrete will outgas enough to bubble the paint. That or a high water table. How old was your concrete ? Thanks,
The concrete was poured probably 3 months before I applied the coating. It hasn't bubbled anywhere. There had just been nothing spilled on it before. I had the building erected and then had the electrician wire everything up so it was a few months old when I applied the Rustoleum.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

You don't have to use the flakes with the Rustoleum product. Its not mixed in. You spread it as you paint. It comes in Grey and Tan and thats it so kinda limited.

tedlovesjeeps71

As another option I didn't see mentioned I thought of concrete polishing. Next time y'all are wondering around Home Depot or lowes, pay attention to the floors. Back in the 90s I took a part time job at HD. They brought in a company who specialized in concrete finishing. I guess the bean counters realized that a polished floor was easier to clean and more presentable than rough finished? It was a lot easier to clean. I'd imagine if it were dyed and then polished and sealed you could have a nice, permanent floor? No idea what it'd cost to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

I just used Rust Oleum cleaner and moisture sealer on an old concrete floor in a building I'm working on. I stopped there as I wasn't planning on finishing the concrete, I'm just framing out a floor over top of it. It's great stuff, very easy to work with and very accurate coverage to their claims on the package. It did exactly as I expected when following the instructions. Some of my concrete was smooth and some pretty rough and it covered both types of surface equally.

I know they say to wait at least 30 days for new pours before applying anything so ClovisMan waiting 3 months was definitely enough time for the crete to cure before the product was applied. For the cost (less than $18 per 200 sq/ft or about 9 cents per square/ft) I'd definitely do the moisture sealer first. I'm definitely doing it when I build my shop!

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

I will be acid staining and sealing my two garage floors. It is new construction so I was waiting to do it until the concrete had cured sufficiently. I then quickly ran out of money with cost overruns, as often happens with new construction. I had to move in without it being done so I am trying to limit use of some of the garage space until next spring when I can hopefully get it all done.

For now I have Gladiator GarageWorks plastic coined tiles in my small garage bay where the J-200 sleeps. I bought it in a couple batches a few years ago as I found deals on it. I think I paid about $1.50 a square foot for it. Found two open box deals on it at a surplus/store return clearance place. It has been great but I would rather just finish the floor so I do not have to worry about any spills seeping down through the plastic tile joints.
1964 J-200 360/TH400/BW1339 - "Hodge" - as in Hodge Podge :roll:
GM FF 14 Bolt 4.56:1 Yukon Posi rear / GM D44 4.56:1 front
Looking for 8 lug H1's and 37"s

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Thanks for the second resurrection guys! I haven't done mine yet and now it's too cold until spring, but I'm still immensely interested in what you all have done! Especially with pics! :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

letank

Post by letank »

The GF bought the roll on plastic with the diamond pattern, a real PITA to roll a floor jack, the MC tires flash some black stains that is impossible to remove, but oil and any other jeep fluids clean up nicely, but the diamond pattern is a dirt and dust retainer...
The epoxy acid priming was mentioned as another potential PITA, and yes there are some old oil stains from the 70's...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

DND Racing

Post by DND Racing »

New to this forum, and just seeing this now, sorry for being so late to the party, but it sounds like you will be waiting until spring to pull the trigger.

I've installed a two part epoxy product called Muscle Gloss in two shops now, and could not be happier. Not as economical as the Rustoleum product, but much more durable based on reviews I've read. I did my Dad's 2600 sq-ft shop in 2000, and the product is still in good shape today. I did my 1200 sq-ft shop in July 2015, and so far is proving to be just as durable. I used a chemical etch on my Dad's shop and a mechanical unit on my shop, both seemed to work good. Would say like a lot of stuff, preparation is key.

What I like the most about it is (out side of the aesthetics) is fluid spills wipe right up, no need for oil dry, wipe it up with a shop towel and clean with any floor or degreaser product. Draw back would have to be it's a little slippery when wet, and the blue color I chose does show some scuffs. Overall I would highly recommend it.

https://www.musclegloss.com/

Attaching a before and after shop of my place, as well as more current picture. My Dad's place is grey, picture is current 17 years after installation.
Shop Floor Before and After.JPG
Current Floor.JPG
Dads Shop Floor.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I want to see more of Dads shop!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I wanna see more of that gremlin!
Grizzly Locker Rear

tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:I wanna see more of that gremlin!
Agree 1000000000%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I already checked out the website on the back window, it's a store in New York that sells mopeds or something. Nothing gremlin related. :(
Grizzly Locker Rear