Tool/lift suggestions

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
jtwthaxj

Tool/lift suggestions

Post by jtwthaxj »

I've got most of the basic hand a power tools, but there are a couple of things that I am hoping to acquire to help with my build.

I wanted to get suggestions on purchasing a two post lift (a diesel wagoneer would be the heaviest thing that I would lift.)

I also would like to get a plasma cutter, I had a buddy that picked one up on ebay for a couple hundred bucks I wasn't too impressed with it's performance and it went through consumables like they were going out of style.

I'm not opposed to buying used from CL, but I just want to know what you guys think is a quality piece..

carnuck

Re: Tool/lift suggestions

Post by carnuck »

Buy the heaviest GVW hoist you can. I don't like cable ones but if they have hydraulic lock backups, I'd live with it.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
jtwthaxj

Post by jtwthaxj »

Any thoughts on a quality plasma cutter that would be great for weekend projects?

thanks!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I think Tad or somebody would be the best to answer the question on the plasma cutter.

two post lifts are awesome. Make sure you have a tall enough shop space, and that if you get one that has an overhead bar between the posts, that there is enough clearance to fit a taller vehicle. FSJ's dont have very tall bodies, but if you ever want to do some other truck, good to make sure it will fit once lifted to the height that you want.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

GWag89

Post by GWag89 »

I use a plasma from Parker metal fab. It's a Chinese unit but an American company [Parker] does quality control and provides customer service. I've been using one of their units for 3 years now with no complaints.
Quality consumables are hit or miss. I've been searching for a quality source with little luck. I'm going to call Parker before I order consumables again and make sure I get the good stuff
James Stanley

89 Grand Wagoneer- 727/229/D44s
Front: 4"+ springs, 1"+ chevy shackle
Rear: Shackle Flip with 63" chevy springs
999 Offroad Skid Plate
4.0 swap in progress

kathyrose

Post by kathyrose »

You should try the tools with latest technology and reliability. Their capacity should be according to your requirement.

wewillsurvive

Tool/lift suggestions

Post by wewillsurvive »

jtwthaxj wrote:Any thoughts on a quality plasma cutter that would be great for weekend projects?

thanks!
Not sure your budget but I have used about five different brands of plasma cutters and will tell you the Thermodyne brand we have on my fire engine is by far the best one I have ever used. We respond on technical rescue ally's and have an ArcAir for gross cutting on our ladder truck but wanted something with more finesse for finer extrication work and the company that makes the ArcAir sells plasma cutters too. Ours was about $1200 but it will also cut 5/8" thick plate with ease. Keep in mind they have more inexpensive models and this will be the brand I purchase for myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

I have not used their plasma cutters but I do have one of their MIG welders and I am very happy with it.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-plasma-cutter.html
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy