Offset rod journals and Crankshaft machining Pr0n

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Offset rod journals and Crankshaft machining Pr0n

Post by Tatsadasayago »

So I was satisifying my inner machinist and found this youtube video showing a CNC machine turn a billet of steel into a crankshaft.
What got my attention was the first two rod journals. They were machined offset unlike the others. Never seen such crazyness...

Here's the video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81UjjSH2iFw

I cannot figure out why the journals would be offset like that. Any ideas?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

htfiremedic

Re: Offset rod journals and Crankshaft machining Pr0n

Post by htfiremedic »

Interesting, I'm waiting for the professionals to chip in. Beats me though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I saw the same offset rod journal thing in another video showing a German company who makes crankshafts for cars and up to big ships. It must be piston timing related to 5 cylinder engines or something...

derf

Post by derf »

They do that on 90 degree V6 engines to make the pistons hit TDC at even intervals. If you don't do that on a 90 degree V6 engine, you get the pistons hitting at uneven points during the crank rotation and the engine balance is wonky. You get either 90 or 150 degrees between pistons firing, depending on which ones. These are "odd-fire" engines. If you offset the journals 30 degrees from each other, you get an "even-fire" V6 engine where you get one piston firing for every 120 degrees of rotation of the crankshaft.

The Buick V6 that was sold to Kaiser for the Jeeps in the 60's and back to GM in the 70's was originally an odd fire V6. In 1977 GM made a different crank with offset journals turning the engine into an even-fire.

More info on odd vs even fire V6 engines here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine ... ven_firing

However, if you have a V6 where the two banks of cylinders are 60 degrees apart, you can naturally make that an even fire with straight journals.

Offset cranks like that are used in other engines too, but the most common offset crank engine in production is the 90 degree V6 even fire.

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Well I'll be danged Derf. I admit I've never been into an odd-fire engine and wasn't aware of this.
Thanks for the info!

derf

Post by derf »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Well I'll be danged Derf. I admit I've never been into an odd-fire engine and wasn't aware of this.
Thanks for the info!
I remember seeing a Chevy 4.3 crank way back when and wondering why the journals were offset so I researched it. Then just stashed that little nugget away in my head.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That offset is actually a common breaking point on GM 4.3L engines that are running any type of boost.

Roadkill ran into this issue on the Rotsun:
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yikes! I bet that made an expensive sound when it broke.

I find it amazing that I was able to go 6 decades and never see the insides of any of those engines.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Reminds me of the Harley engine with wrist-pin/crank setup. Its that setup that gives Harley the signature rumble.

mud89

Post by mud89 »

derf wrote:They do that on 90 degree V6 engines to make the pistons hit TDC at even intervals. If you don't do that on a 90 degree V6 engine, you get the pistons hitting at uneven points during the crank rotation and the engine balance is wonky. You get either 90 or 150 degrees between pistons firing, depending on which ones. These are "odd-fire" engines. If you offset the journals 30 degrees from each other, you get an "even-fire" V6 engine where you get one piston firing for every 120 degrees of rotation of the crankshaft.

The Buick V6 that was sold to Kaiser for the Jeeps in the 60's and back to GM in the 70's was originally an odd fire V6. In 1977 GM made a different crank with offset journals turning the engine into an even-fire.

More info on odd vs even fire V6 engines here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine ... ven_firing

However, if you have a V6 where the two banks of cylinders are 60 degrees apart, you can naturally make that an even fire with straight journals.

Offset cranks like that are used in other engines too, but the most common offset crank engine in production is the 90 degree V6 even fire.
Same for the V6 PRV, the crank was also modified in the eighties
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle