Just being silly

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Just being silly

Post by Southern Gorilla »

Alright, here's the game...

Jeep, all automakers really, has always had a thing for special models; "Laredo", "Sahara", "Trailhawk", "Chief", etc. I'm wanting to do the same with my Cherokee. Only I don't want to use a real name. So I'm calling on the insane minds of my fellow FSJ-ers to find a creative moniker I can slap on my Jeep. My Cherokee is going to be a rolling man-cave. I call the style "brutal luxury" because it has the niceties but it puts functionality first. Leather, wood, nickel, plaid... hunting lodge style. I'm even thinking of using cement to create faux stone.

So what would you call such a trim package?
Having seller's regret.

Shagoneer

Re: Just being silly

Post by Shagoneer »

La Pantera, Gwar, Asesino,
In the market for a new FSJ

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Hah!

There is a certain appeal to "La Pantera". But I'm not sure how "Gwar" conotes luxury. Maybe if I planned to cover the interior with styrofoam, latex, and cheap booze. Not that I'm not a fan of Gwar... or Green Jelly for that matter.

Hmmmmm... "Cherokee Pantera" does have a ring to it, doesn't it?
Re-
-spect
-walk!

Dangit. Now I need to fire up some tunes.
Having seller's regret.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

You definitely should listen to Shagoneers suggestions, he comes up with great names. :roll:

ha ha ha, Okay okay, I'll quit pickin on ya Shag, us New Mexicans should stick together anyway, right?
GO AGGIES!
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Aggies aren't from NM. I should know, I married one.
Having seller's regret.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Boy oh boy, you Texans! FYI, the New Mexico State Aggies are the team from Las Cruces. Aggies is slang for Agriculture, NMSU is an agricultural university at its core. SHEESH! You Texans, I swear! :D

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Don't get mad at me because we invented everything. :D

Technically, I'm a 'Burgher, not a Texan. But I keep that quiet. Damned yankees.
Having seller's regret.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Southern Gorilla wrote:Don't get mad at me because we invented everything. :D

Technically, I'm a 'Burgher, not a Texan. But I keep that quiet. Damned yankees.

'Burgher, hot dog, whatever! :D

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Haha even though I'm technically an aggie I feel no pride in my school. I think an fsj would look awesome with low quality foam cut outs and green jelly on it, I think when I get a cherokee I'll give it the gwar treatment. Though I do actually like La Pantera it sounds fancy and rough at the same time

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Like I said, Shagoneer has some GREAT ideas for names! :roll: (jk shag)

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

will e

Post by will e »

"pedigree"
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

ferox

Post by ferox »

I'm not a huge South Park fan, but how about ManBearPig.
'82 Wagoneer, 258, T176, NP208, D44, AMC20, Weber 32/36 DGV http://www.arkive.org/fossa/cryptoprocta-ferox/

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Manbearpig would be a beautiful name

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

Southern Gorilla wrote:I call the style "brutal luxury" because it has the niceties but it puts functionality first. Leather, wood, nickel, plaid... hunting lodge style. I'm even thinking of using cement to create faux stone.

So what would you call such a trim package?
Well, the obvious (perhaps too obvious) choice is "Huntsman"...but you probably already thought of that.

Really manly menfolk do not need cute names to remind themselves how rugged and outdoorsy they are. And they do not feel the need to advertise, as they don't give two steaming country dumps whether others in traffic have noticed their raw virility. Good taste and discretion are fine, up to a point - but once you go past that point, you may as well get out the glitter glue and paint "I'm a pretty rough tumbler, fellas" on the side.

Perhaps the Ron Swanson Signature Edition...?
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

Fleg

Post by Fleg »

Woodsman
Backwoods
Testosterone or maybe a short made up word like Terone or Tesrone Edition.
Klondike

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

How about...

The Luxurian

:)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

DarkMonohue wrote:Well, the obvious (perhaps too obvious) choice is "Huntsman"...but you probably already thought of that.

Really manly menfolk do not need cute names to remind themselves how rugged and outdoorsy they are. And they do not feel the need to advertise, as they don't give two steaming country dumps whether others in traffic have noticed their raw virility. Good taste and discretion are fine, up to a point - but once you go past that point, you may as well get out the glitter glue and paint "I'm a pretty rough tumbler, fellas" on the side.
Actually, I had not thought of Huntsman. I really like it.

While I agree there is a point where you cross a line from making a statement to trying to convince people, I don't think a simple trim badge is anywhere near that line. Cars have had such badges since the dawn of time. I doubt anybody who sees "Chief" on the side of an old Cherokee is going to think the driver is Sitting Bull. It's just a way to set that vehicle apart from similar ones. No different than seeing "Sahara" or "Rubicon" on the hood of a Wrangler. And the interior is going to get the lodge treatment because that is the style that appeals to me. That is what makes me comfortable. I'm not trying to convince people I'm super rugged.
Having seller's regret.

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Southern Gorilla wrote:
DarkMonohue wrote: I'm not trying to convince people I'm super rugged.
Don't worry. You're not.
Drink more Water

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

SG,

I failed to use the good-natured harassment font. You're quite right, of course. Carry on. I actually am quite a fan of "phantom" trim or performance packages, or anything that looks OEM and makes a fairly savvy onlooker stop and scratch their head for a moment, wondering, "Did they ever...?" Case in point, the "OEM" tachometer in my J20.

Speaking of discrete badging, there's also the Up Country decal from the ZJ...at least, I think they used a little decal in the rear side windows. Yes...checking now...internet says they did, but it reads "up country suspension group". Not quite what you were trying to say, and the decal is a hundred bucks. Still...

There's also Aspen, but I have my doubts. Not only does it suggest self-important new-money types swinging their Mastercards around to impress themselves and other like-minded "people", it also reminds one of the unspectacular Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare twins, which are seldom remembered fondly...unless you are watching reruns of CHiPs, or need a torsion bar front end for a hot rod project.

How about HST, as in Hunter S. Thompson? Bit of a fanboy move, but it might work, if you kept it subtle.
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...