Anyone tried getting an online degree?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

I keep thinking about finally getting back on the track I originally set for myself some three decades ago. Unfortunately, the whole college system is heavily skewed to make it difficult for working adults to get in. I can't just quit my job to go to school. I've looked at tons of online programs, but they're all for "junk" degrees like MBAs and such. I'm looking for engineering. I'm thinking about using online classes for the core stuff, maybe night classes at a real school for some things. But I'd really like to hear from people who have done something similar.
Having seller's regret.

KJ Ryu

Re: Anyone tried getting an online degree?

Post by KJ Ryu »

Sounds almost like you've already made a decision. Go for it! What type of engineering?
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

I've made the decision that I *want* to do it. I just can't figure out if it's feasible or how to go about it. So I was hoping somebody around here had been through it and could give me some ideas.

I want mechanical engineering. The University of North Dakota actually offers it online. But it's absurdly expensive (some $900 per credit) and I'd have to spend a week or two on campus every year doing labs.
Having seller's regret.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Are your math skills strong? That's the biggest pre-requisite for mech eng.

I have not gotten one online myself. But know it will be a lot of work. Don't expect much free time. But it is certainly doable.

If you do night school for some of it, just be sure the credits can be transferred to the school giving the degree.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Stuka wrote:Are your math skills strong? That's the biggest pre-requisite for mech eng.

I have not gotten one online myself. But know it will be a lot of work. Don't expect much free time. But it is certainly doable.

If you do night school for some of it, just be sure the credits can be transferred to the school giving the degree.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
I'm gonna have to ditto Stuka again regarding math, it's the backbone of engineering, whether you're talking mechanical or electrical engineering, you will also need to take courses that bolster your math skills, calculus, trig., algebra etc. If you're serious about pursuing an ME degree then anyone who's done it will recommend taking math courses first, otherwise you can get lost very quickly. I completed an online course in electronics through DeVry Technical (DTI) and it was very math intensive, Mech. engr. will be more so. Maybe start out with a two year associates degree in a field that's going through a lot of growth, I have friends that went that route and are making a good living. Also you can speak with a college counselor about what's available, and what your skills and interests are. Community colleges are a wonderful resource. Good luck. :)
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

I'm a fan of math. It was always my best subject.

I'd looked at doing community college for core courses. But I hadn't thought about getting an actual degree from on to move into a field so I could then go further in a regular college. Interesting idea.
Having seller's regret.

mdill
Vendor

Post by mdill »

If you want to learn, MIT has a bunch of on line material class notes/ syllabus's/ exams reading assignments/ some video's, not sure about getting credits, but good stuff never the less.

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Thanks! That could be helpful. I have thought about just buying the right books and learning everything on my own. But part of the point is to get that piece of paper that tells everybody they can hire me.
Having seller's regret.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

You have a great plan, my recommendation is that you find a school that has an agreement with your local community college. This way you could take classes that WILL transfer and also approved to proctor your exams. I'm currently pursuing my degree doing this process. If ME is your goal work towards it from the time you start. I started my degree in biology but decided I would hate working in a cubicle like my wife so I switched to BS in management. I have met my credit requirements but need several more in my new field of study so here is a year or more wasted. Good luck and your CC has so much value, tutors, library, labs, and you will be pleased to know you are not the oldest person in the pursuit of a degree.

Good luck.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Hey, thanks a lot for that! I have a ton of research to do. There's only one school in the area that offers ME degrees. So that choice is simple. But figuring out how to get started is a huge question. Scheduling is going to be the problem. I'm about to start a new job with an indefinite quitting time. Online classes are really the only option I have at the moment.
Having seller's regret.

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Turns out there's a CC within three miles of me that specifically offers core classes to transfer to a 4-year school. Sent them an e-mail asking for details. Guess I'll have to call since I haven't heard back. Hopefully, between the online and the evening courses I can get headed in the right direction.
Having seller's regret.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Remember this is the busy season for the administration department. It may be best to walk in and talk to them. You will get a much better answer face to face.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

I may do that tomorrow or Monday. I'll have some free time if I can stay awake. Thanks for the tip.
Having seller's regret.

DeepAboveSurface

Post by DeepAboveSurface »

Just like Gumby mentioned, Find a school that has your Final degree plan and work your way backwards. Alot of universities dont take credits that are over 4yrs old. I know my A&P 1 and 2 Chemestry and a lot of my basics wont transfer because i took them 5 going on 6 years now.

Go talk to the ME counselor/ advisor at the school you want a degree from. They will know for a fact what they take and what they dont.

mathman

Post by mathman »

Southern Gorilla wrote:Turns out there's a CC within three miles of me that specifically offers core classes to transfer to a 4-year school.
If by 'core' you mean the 'general education' requirements like english, history, social sciences, fine arts, humanities it could possibly cost you an extra year or two once you get to the 4-year school, making your "4-year degree" go five and maybe six years. I've seen a lot of 2-year schools who 'promise' that if you spend two years with them and finish the 'core' courses then you can finish your 4-year degree in just two more years beyond the two you spent at the 2-year school. This rarely works out as a lot of the technical majors wind up with a series of courses that have to be complete in sequence and the overall sequence is six semesters. When I was at Southeastern Oklahoma State we were required to develop transfer guides for all of the 2-year schools in the state (we added Grayson County in Texas because it was so close) detailing what the student MUST take at the 2-year school if they expected to finish at a 4-year school in two additional years. Those transfer guides eliminated almost all of the frustrations for the student and the 4-year school advisor when the student actually made the move to the 4-year school.
David
'78 J-10, J-20
'79 Cherokee
'50 Willys (not Willy's) 4WD Pickup
http://www.jeep-trucks.com

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Very sound advice. Thanks, guys. I'm hoping that the schools in question are already working together to some degree. But I will definitely start with the 4-yr folks to see what my options are. That will still have to wait til after my employment situation has stabilized.
Having seller's regret.