Computer Gurus: What is a proxy server

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
bigun

Computer Gurus: What is a proxy server

Post by bigun »

Firefox saying it can not connect because it proxy server is refusing connections? How do I fix? ARRRGG

fulsizjeep

Re: Computer Gurus: What is a proxy server

Post by fulsizjeep »

You are posting so something is working. ;)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

Two lap tops and one smart phone!!! One laptop is suddenly not connecting to net, it was working then all of the sudden message appeared and now it won't connect.

will e

Post by will e »

proxy servers are one type of device that is used to control access from one network to another. Typically companies use them to block some or all internet access. A proxy server might block specific sites, it might block groups of sites (like sides identified as gambling or port). There is a lot of configurability to most proxy servers but generally we like to keep the rules simple.

Proxy servers can also be used to block specific types of access. For example, ftp or telnet might be blocked but http isn't.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

will e wrote:proxy servers are one type of device that is used to control access from one network to another. Typically companies use them to block some or all internet access. A proxy server might block specific sites, it might block groups of sites (like sides identified as gambling or port). There is a lot of configurability to most proxy servers but generally we like to keep the rules simple.

Proxy servers can also be used to block specific types of access. For example, ftp or telnet might be blocked but http isn't.
OK Why does my personnel computer have one and how do I find change or eliminate it. I was listening to Iheart when it shut down

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Your access point has it.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

will e

Post by will e »

Each computer might have a proxy server configured. If you go into your web browser tools you will see where it can be configured.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

will e wrote:Each computer might have a proxy server configured. If you go into your web browser tools you will see where it can be configured.
Thanks, back working set it to find proxy and now it is working,. Oddly enough the proxy it was showing was the same as the other computer.

Thanks to everybody who replied

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I say be careful... Proxy is an NSA agent. :shock:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

fulsizjeep wrote:I say be careful... Proxy is an NSA agent. :shock:
So speaketh the man who worketh for the government!!!!

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Another example of a proxy is a local one used by anti-virus/Internet Security suites like the *Gasp, Barf, Growl* Norton 360 and others.
The software tells windows to direct all network traffic through it's own proxy server then sends the traffic out to your network card/port and on to your modem/router.

If your trial or subscription runs out the proxy no longer works fully and you can get those messages and/or lose internet access via your browser(s).

Yes, a bad proxy can be installed on your computer which allows virii, trojans and malware to do their evil to your computer and others.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Another example of a proxy is a local one used by anti-virus/Internet Security suites like the *Gasp, Barf, Growl* Norton 360 and others.
The software tells windows to direct all network traffic through it's own proxy server then sends the traffic out to your network card/port and on to your modem/router.

If your trial or subscription runs out the proxy no longer works fully and you can get those messages and/or lose internet access via your browser(s).

Yes, a bad proxy can be installed on your computer which allows virii, trojans and malware to do their evil to your computer and others.
Interesting I also had something show up called "internet port 3" not sure what it is doing other than if I shut it off computer won't connect to the net. Hopefully running Malware bites every few days will keep the bad things away

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I'd also run Ccleaner too. Linux only has issues when the surrounding net is slow due to hacker traffic and slaved Microsoft powered computers.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Agreed! A good Anti-virus such as Kapersky, Avast and AVG (Not Norton and definitely not MacAfee) Ccleaner and Malware-Bytes are a good trio to keep your machine clean and happy. Internet Security suites are often cause more harm to the PC than the virii hehe.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

bigun wrote: Interesting I also had something show up called "internet port 3" not sure what it is doing other than if I shut it off computer won't connect to the net. Hopefully running Malware bites every few days will keep the bad things away
Well, Port 3 is a CompressNet port.
I would suspect you are referring to Connection #3 which refers to your Ethernet port. If you take your machine elsewhere (A different network) then return home, Windows will create a new network connection setup even though there was one previously. Was probably the little white text balloon notification on the taskbar that told you that. One other reason for that is when a proxy server is installed between you and the internet. Could be good, could be bad.

If you think your computer may have cooties, I suggest you get the Kapersky Rescue Disk ISO image download, burn it to e CD/DVD or flash drive, boot the machine from it, install updates and let it run a FULL system scan. You might be surprised at what it finds where your anti-virus, Malware-Bytes and CCleaner finds nothing.

Seriously, lately internet and computers have become more problematic than our FSJs!