Fsj riders in Arizona

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Locked and Loaded

Re: Fsj riders in Arizona

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Where's Arizona?
Drink more Water

rstep

Post by rstep »

West of there and just north of the other there.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

78 Arizona Chief

Post by 78 Arizona Chief »

Kevin here in Gilbert. Welcome and see ya on the trail...
1978 Cherokee Chief: Parents bought new. 360/TH400/NOS Quadratrac, 44's/ARB's/4.10's, SOA, Shackle Flip, Alcan Springs, FOX 2.0's, 35" BFG KM2s, custom bumpers, 324,000 miles and counting...

Topic author
flawlessfailure

Post by flawlessfailure »

Does anyone have headers on your jeep and still have it pass emissions? If so is there any specific header you had to buy or any of the tubes that are on the stock manifolds? Also I am converting it to tbi and wondered if I could remove the damn smog pump or not, I'm originally from Michigan (no emissions) so kind of new to that, which is why I'm fuel injecting it in the first place
88 grand wagoneer

will e

Post by will e »

What year is your Jeep?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
flawlessfailure

88 grand wagoneer

will e

Post by will e »

Okay, I have owned an 81 and now own an 82. From years of emissions experience:

Visual inspection includes A.I.R pump and system. They look to see if it exists. The belt should be connected. They do not confirm operation, only that the system exists and I suspect if the belt was missing they might flag it as not operational.

They will visually inspect for a PCV. I usually have to point this out to them since it is in the back.

They will visually inspect for a catalytic converter.

They will check that all of the lines from your canister are connected.

This is all a visual inspection, there is no actual testing of the equipment.

For your year they may also confirm the existence of an EGR valve. This is not included in the inspection for an 81/82. I will let someone else confirm.

Regarding your header question. They will probably visually confirm that the the A.I.R. pipes are connected. I don't believe they will care if it is headers or not. I will let someone else give their opinion and experience on that since I do not have any personal experience.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Locked and Loaded

Just played the game with my 90 Wagoneer. I had to put the emissions stuff back on since the PO took it off. Like Mike said they don't have to function. They just looked to see if the smog pump was there and the canister was hooked up. They didn't look for the CAT or EGR. But without them it's going to be hard to pass the sniffer. I failed the first time. CO2, Hydrocarbons and NOX were all bad. So I had a new CAT put on and hooked up the EGR. Passed easily. Good for two years. Time to hit the trails.
Drink more Water

Topic author
flawlessfailure

Nice, so the air pump does not effect the readings of the emissions at all? I want to put headers on it but can't find any that have the pipes for the emissions on them
88 grand wagoneer

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

The headers have the bungs. You supply the AIR tubes and bolts. BJ'S Offroad has Doug Thorely headers listed. You can get tubes from them or pick up a used pair and replace the check valves if needed.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

will e

Post by will e »

flawlessfailure wrote:Nice, so the air pump does not effect the readings of the emissions at all? I want to put headers on it but can't find any that have the pipes for the emissions on them
It does improve emissions. The additional air pumped into the exhaust can help additional burn and, my internet understanding is, the air can help the catalytic converter work.

Note: I never said they don't have to function, I just provided information that they do visual inspections and don't verify operation.

Regarding your fuel injection. Most systems have some type of o2 detector in the exhaust. The additional air pumped into the system can throw off the readings for the fuel injection ECU.

Curly

Post by Curly »

I'm looking to get to know FSJ owners in Az. I don't own one yet, actively looking right now, still haven't found one. I'm waiting on approval for the Az Full Size jeep group on Facebook. Anyone a mod here that can approve me? Its been several weeks and no action. Oh and for the Az folks, I'm in the Verde Valley.

Thanks
Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Locked and Loaded

I think you have to have an FSJ to get approved. But sometimes the Troll under the bridge has a good day and will let you in.
Drink more Water

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Welcome guys, I'm in Chino Valley.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome Curly! I don't facebook so I can't help you out. All of the groovy people are here.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Curly wrote:I'm looking to get to know FSJ owners in Az. I don't own one yet, actively looking right now, still haven't found one. I'm waiting on approval for the Az Full Size jeep group on Facebook. Anyone a mod here that can approve me? Its been several weeks and no action. Oh and for the Az folks, I'm in the Verde Valley.

Thanks
Curly

What you need to do is the next one you see in AS you have to chase it catch it and then release it. That is the way to get in on Facebook. I think that they are mostly done through familiarity, so get out and meet some of the guys if it means you have to stalk one ( I did) took a couple years before anyone seen my jeep.

Welcome and good luck in your search.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

There are two AZ FB thingys.
One is just a page, the other is a group.
I don't have anything to do with the page anymore but I am an admin for the group.
I only see one request up there at this time, someone named Tim something.

The AZ group (be it here or on FB) is a very close knit group.
We have all camped, traveled, worked or participated in some type of events together over the years or know each other very well for other reasons.

I suggest you submit a request again and this time message me or one of the other admin's.
Typically it works like this:
There will be about 4-8 requests per week.
When I have time I will quickly scan profiles, if I don't see an FSJ in a picture in the first 60 seconds or so I click the ignore button, that removes the request from the other admin pages also.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

will e

Post by will e »

Gumby wrote:
Curly wrote:I'm looking to get to know FSJ owners in Az. I don't own one yet, actively looking right now, still haven't found one. I'm waiting on approval for the Az Full Size jeep group on Facebook. Anyone a mod here that can approve me? Its been several weeks and no action. Oh and for the Az folks, I'm in the Verde Valley.

Thanks
Curly

What you need to do is the next one you see in AS you have to chase it catch it and then release it. That is the way to get in on Facebook. I think that they are mostly done through familiarity, so get out and meet some of the guys if it means you have to stalk one ( I did) took a couple years before anyone seen my jeep.

You have a jeep? :)

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

If you need a Jeep [Wagoneer] PM me. :D

Curly

Post by Curly »

will e wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Curly wrote:

You have a jeep? :)
Yes, 97 TJ. I do a lot of trail running/camping with friends, been all over Az, Utah, been to Cali and N.M in the Jeep.
Maze Overlook 2013.jpg
Looking for something a bit larger. :D I want a Waggoneer, I already have a truck (59 Chevy)

Curly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler