Whiskey Guidelines

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

ShagWagon

Re: Whiskey Guidelines

Post by ShagWagon »

Hmmm they started selling a 80 proof Turkey about ten years ago. Not the same stuff. Don't even taste close.

I've never seen, or heard of a 151 proof Wild Turkey.

Is the 112 like a single batch or some reserve?

Bookers is beautiful. Way strong, yet way smooth.....
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yeah, I went back and added an edit when I couldn't find the WT151. The 112 is their "Rare Bird" which I haven't tried yet.

That class I went to with my dad mentioned 151 bourbons and could have sworn he said Wild Turkey, but I can't find a single one. Even asked my local dealer, who then, on a tuesday morning in a liquor store with my baby in my arms, gave me a taste of Nikka blue label. Right there in the store. Awesome. :mrgreen:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Just came across this thread. I am still developing my taste for whiskey. I didn't have the time to read 5 pages yet. What are some recommendations for something to try? My wife bought me a bottle of crown xr when we got married and it was excellent. And recently my dad has got me hooked on makers. Aside from various cheap brands that's kind of the best of my experience. I always drink it on the rocks, actually an ice ball but you get then point. Lastly what exactly constitutes a glass being a whiskey glass? Thank you redone for starting this thread! Hopefully one of these years I will be able to make Ouray again and we can share a bottle!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Drink Jim Beam and skip the 5 pages, LOL.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

ShagWagon

Whiskey Guidelines

Post by ShagWagon »

Here's what I do.

I go to the liquor store and look for whatever has a gift package freebie. Usually glasses, shot glasses, shakers, flasks, etc...

Almost all good whiskey has a freebie promo usually around the holidays.

That's what you should use to drink your whiskey in.

Old Fashioned GlassImage

Rocks GlassesImage

HIghball GlassImage

Glencairn Snifter GlassImage
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

hutcho wrote:Just came across this thread. I am still developing my taste for whiskey. I didn't have the time to read 5 pages yet. What are some recommendations for something to try? My wife bought me a bottle of crown xr when we got married and it was excellent. And recently my dad has got me hooked on makers. Aside from various cheap brands that's kind of the best of my experience. I always drink it on the rocks, actually an ice ball but you get then point. Lastly what exactly constitutes a glass being a whiskey glass? Thank you redone for starting this thread! Hopefully one of these years I will be able to make Ouray again and we can share a bottle!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Haha! If you can muscle through my first post, I think I do I pretty good job of a succinct primer on whiskey. :P

Shag gives sound advice on the swag packages. For starting out developing a whiskey pallet, some of my low cost high quality favorites are:
Jim Beam Straight Bourbon (as a base-line)
Evan Williams Straight Bourbon (good example of a sour mash)
Johnnie Walker Red (excellent introduction to Scotch, too peat-y for Irish/Bourbon fans, not peat-y enough for Scotch fans)
Redbreast 12yr (My favorite Irish, and priced right too!)

Midrange price high quality favorites:
Wild Turkey 101 (some think the higher proof means you should mix with water, but it loses a lot of flavor with more than just a small splash)
Red Bush (it's Redbreast aged in used Muricun' Bourbon barrels! Irish doesn't require new barrels for aging, Straight Bourbon does)
Leopold Brothers Straight Bourbon ( made in Denver and may not be available outside CO)

What I consider expensive favorites:
Bookers Cask Strength Straight Bourbon (for me, this is everything whiskey is supposed to be)
Stagg Jr. (130 proof vs 143 for actual Stagg. It's one you just dip your tongue into until it's gone. Flavor disappears instantly if you add even a drop of water, but even lower than original Stagg, a mountful at 130 feels like a punishment rather than a reward!)

As you've seen for yourself with Makers, there's a ton of great whiskey that's not on my short list so it's not all-encompassing. I would suggest that for developing a whiskey pallet, that you avoid "Canadian Whiskey" and "American Whiskey". There's great whiskey in these catagories, but a LOT of them have artificial flavors added to them. While developing a taste for whiskey, I would just try to avoid developing a taste for something ADDED to a whiskey that isn't actually whiskey. :-bd

EDIT>> To add a random thought on a whiskey glass. When I was a kid, my parents had these depression era glasses. They were thick and ungodly heavy amber glass with big knobs on the sides. I'm always on the lookout for some just like 'em, but I've yet to find any. :(
Last edited by REDONE on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Just thought to add a funny story:

For St. Patrick's Day (my wife is flaming ginger Irish) we wanted to prove that we're not too old, so we were determined to do Irish Carbombs before bed (at 9pm, because we can be both cool and responsible). We were all set! Two pint glasses 3/4 full of Guinness, a bottle of Redbreast 12yr and some Brenden's Irish cream...but we couldn't do it. We've reached the point in our lives where WE DON'T OWN ANY SHOT GLASSES!!! :lol:

We're such dorks, that we dumped out some fancy imported salt containers and used those. :oops: Never felt more grown up in my life. :D
Grizzly Locker Rear

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

I got a bottle of Breckenridge for Christmas from one of my employee's man is it smooth
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Breck is really tasty and two years ago it won top awards wherever it competed! I hope you don't work for the same firm as my wife, I had her give her boss a bottle of Breck for Christmas. :shock:
Grizzly Locker Rear

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

They have a Canadian whiskey made in Pendleton, Oregon.... Its called Pendleton.

Go figure....

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I took Dr. M's suggestion and bought a bottle of Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon.
Seeing as I too don't have a developed whiskey taste I was surprised a bit by the initial rush of flavor, which was good, there was an intermediate taste I can only describe as 'Chlorine, rubbing alcohol and charcoal' but warm smokey finish.
I kept sipping and by the time I reached bottom of the tumbler it was tasting pretty damn good.
I'm wondering if I should have chilled the bourbon or added ice...
I'll save the rest of the bottle for when I want something different but admit I am going back to my 7 until I find something more my style.
Thanks for the suggestion!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Evan Williams is one of the cheapest well drink bourbon but more like a Jack Daniels knockoff. Better for mixing I'd say.

Getcha bottle of Wild Turkey 101. Sip it with a beer or water chaser.

If you must mix whiskey then fill glass with all ice then 70-80% spirits and a healthy shot of Coca Cola, H20, 7-UP or fav mixer with a straw for stirring.

It will be a strong first drink but as the ice melts it will mellow into wonderful.....

SemperFIGuy

Post by SemperFIGuy »

Well this is very interesting, I am and always have been a JD fanboy, though I do enjoy others if we go out to eat, at home I drink it with diet tonic, regular makes it to sweet. That's the reason I drink Jack, I just love that sweet subtle flavor, that others (to me) just don't seem to have. My only snobbery is out of a glass glass, and I keep mine in an old decanter, but only because I like the look of it on my bar. One thing that I do find odd is that when we do go out to eat I always get my whiskey on the rocks, probably 80% of the time it throws the server for a loop. Enough so that I have to explain that it's over ice, no mixer. No shots for me either, I can drink whiskey with you all not long, but any stupid time I've tried a shot, begging, middle, end, I have to fight the need to throw up. Though every time I open a new bottle my wife and I take a small swig "To the Corps".

Some other whiskeys I like......Bullett, Crown, Makers, Buffalo Trace. For some reason I can't stomach any Jim, Scotch, or Irish. As long as I've been drinking whiskey I probably should know way more than I do, good thread. Funny story about my glass snobbery, I have friends that keep a rocks glass in their cupboard just for when I come over.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I'm with you there regarding shots. No matter what I'm drinking, if I try to down a mouthful it's Barf-O-Rama time unless I chase it with something.
A small sip straight from the glass every minute or two--no problem.

That's funny about 'To the Corps'. Being a former soldier I always take that first swig and say "NSDQMF". (Night Stalkers Don't Quit Mother F***er)

Thank You for your service!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I just determined today, at brunch, that bourbon in sweet tea over ice, is delicious.

Yes. I drink bourbon at breakfast.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

SemperFIGuy

Post by SemperFIGuy »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I'm with you there regarding shots. No matter what I'm drinking, if I try to down a mouthful it's Barf-O-Rama time unless I chase it with something.
A small sip straight from the glass every minute or two--no problem.

That's funny about 'To the Corps'. Being a former soldier I always take that first swig and say "NSDQMF". (Night Stalkers Don't Quit Mother F***er)

Thank You for your service!
Rah, raises glass, thank you sir.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

So this is going to sound like a shameless plug, but Applebee's has a thing right now called a PB&J, that's a Pabst pounder and a shot of Beam for six bucks!

I only know this because my wife locked herself out of the house yesterday (her turn to make dinner) so I met her at the Applebee's. I'm not a huge fan of Applebee's, the one near my house has messed up a few too many times for me to go back, but this time they actually got it right, but that's besides the point.

Point is, there have been a number of reasons to have a sip lately. From all the "eureka!"s members her been having, to the start of fall, to lost friends. If you feel like a drink but don't want to buy the bottle, it's a pretty good price. Also, if your drinking for a sad reason, you'll for right in at Applebee's.
Grizzly Locker Rear

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

This is one of my favorite whiskeys. My wife picked it up awhile back on a business trip to Texas.

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Make your own-
visit homedistiller dot org for recipes
search "bokabob" for a simple still design everyone on here can build
visit your local tractor supply for cracked corn
hit your local beer/wine brewer shop for yeast
tell very few people - this is illegal (but when has that stopped you before)
have fun
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Just discovered this thread tonight. I will join my fellow brothers here. Two on my shelf right now. This is my second bottle of Blantons this year. Prohibition was just curiosity. It's decent.
IMG_4912.JPG
Breckenridge, four roses (all of them except the standard), 1792, Elijah Craig small batch, high west Prarie, and too many more to mention are my go tos.

Maybe I have a problem....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.