New car

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Re: New car

Post by Shagoneer »

My father in law did 20 years in the Army, and when I told him I was considering the AF, he told me about when he was stationed in Iraq. His unit had no shade and were eating MREs sweating to death in the sun. The AF guys next door had air conditioned tents and what he describes as a 4 star meal, though that part may be a combo of resentment and sun fatigue.

I also found a really good deal on a Toyota Tundra with every feature I could want. I may pick that up because by sisters husband and I put his tundra through absolute hell before he sold it, and still ran like New with 80k miles.
In the market for a new FSJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Yeah, AF is usually well taken care of. When I was stationed in Germany the AF had a detachment of guys who shared our motor pool. Never saw them do a lick of work and they had their own area with patio furniture, a big stainless steel BBQ grill, and even heaters and fans for when the weather changed. None of them lived on post because it was too far below AF standards.
They also were just completing a brand new building for their use only so they wouldn't have to share our dumpy motor pool. The building was the same architecture outside (German requirement) but everything inside was how they requested it. Last I heard they wouldn't move in because , although complete/brand new/to their design, it was still not to their standard.

A tundra could be a good choice. Are you really pressed for a vehicle right now? If you could hold off, join the military, by the time you graduate school you can probably pay cash for one or get something as nice as you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Well I was just offered a job, that I think I'm going to take as opposed to enlisting. I will be a "long term substitute" at the local high school. I will have my own class and classroom, but they can't officially make me a teacher until I finish my degree.

My wife and I were also considering possibly getting a new renegade, just because we can get one brand new for only a bit more than our original price limit, but with a better interest rate, warranty, all the fun stuff.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The Renegades are lice little vehicles. I like their look, and they drive pretty nicely.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I agree. For a while we had a stretch where every rental car we got was a Renegade, I like the trailhawk, but the non-awesome ones are still OK. We looked at them hard before we bought our Cherokee Trailhawk. The deciding factor was that my wife was preggers, so we borrowed a stroller from my sister who already had kids. The stroller fit in the back of the Cherokee without any hassle, while you had to put it in "just right" for it to go in the back of the Renegade. Well, the other factor is that the Renegade isn't available with full leather seats. The leather option still has mesh panels. Kids stain cloth seats, well oiled leather holds up better.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Was there room for luggage and other things in the trunk, or just the stroller?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

On the renegade? There was barley enough room for the jogger type stroller by itself, and it only went in one way. In hindsight, a roof box would have made it conveniently workable. Definitely a lot more room in the Cherokee though. I only have to throw the roof basket on if we're camping with both dogs.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

When we test drove one, it had a decent amount of room. It would carry luggage for the two of us. And could always fold down a seat if we needed more. If you have two kids, there wont be enough room inside the back.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ