New car

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Red-dog

Re: New car

Post by Red-dog »

I needed a new vehicle because I'm parting out my XJ DD. I found a super clean '01 WJ for $3000 (A/C is broken). I-6 engine has a lot of life in it and I think it fits all your criteria. But, the Navy plan is pretty solid.
'86 GW, work in progress.
'01 wj, DD

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Not sure what to tell you about EOD... Most of those guys I've met were a few stairs short of a whole flight.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean does any smart sane person volunteer to take apart IEDs?
In the market for a new FSJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Shagoneer wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Not sure what to tell you about EOD... Most of those guys I've met were a few stairs short of a whole flight.Image

I mean does any smart sane person volunteer to take apart IEDs?
Yeah, a lot do since the military likes to wave a large bonus at folks. Couple of thoughts though:
EOD school is not easy. Mentally, physically, or intellectually. There was a schoolhouse for them on Ft Bliss when I was there. They had something like a 40% failure rate?
It's a job of absolute attention to detail. Failure to pay attention ends up with a flag for your family.
It's also a job with never ending concurrent training since bad guys never stop being creative. What you learn may or may not be of any help when you get sent to work. Being able to adapt is a life skill.
Please, do NOT watch the movie "The Hurt Locker". It's Hollywood.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

There's a reason there motto is "initial success or complete failure"

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Stay away from the Jeep Renegade and Cherokee. The transmissions, including the manual, are junk.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

csuengr wrote:Stay away from the Jeep Renegade and Cherokee. The transmissions, including the manual, are junk.
I love mine! :lol:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

csuengr wrote:Stay away from the Jeep Renegade and Cherokee. The transmissions, including the manual, are junk.
I don't think anyone has any strength complaints yet, but I remember you did not like the way yours shifted.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Shagoneer wrote:I've been considering it for awhile now, and I found out today that my Great Uncle was Navy EOD and it makes me want to do it even more.
No. Do it for you. Not any other motivator.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

What's everyone's opinion of the h3 hummer?

tedlovesjeeps71

Shagoneer wrote:What's everyone's opinion of the h3 hummer?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I like it. It's all Chevy Colorado Z71 under the boxy body, so maintenance and hard parts are cheap and available.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

They are ONLY decent with the V8. The i5 versions are absolute trash. They also have the worst visibility of any SUV I have ever driven (par for the course with GM).

But outside of those, they are pretty decent vehicles. The Alpha version is actually pretty decent offroad.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

bigun

Post by bigun »

It's a chevy and friends don't let friends drive chevys :cry: (we need a barfing emoji)

tedlovesjeeps71

A guy in school has the pickup version which he loves. We talked about it a while and he asked my opinion on "building" it. He mentioned some of the downsides to it was the 5cyl motor and erector set front suspension. Blind spots were another thing he mentioned. By the end of our talk he admitted that the primary thing he loved about it was that not everyone has one.
While I can understand not wanting to be swallowed by the sea of JKs out there I think one could find/build something better if they select a better starting point.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

yah dont get a rover unless you want to have an unreliable money pit, one of which you already have.

look for an xterra? slightly older 4runner?

You said your budget was 20k, but you mentioned 2 rovers for lime 8k.....an additional 12k buys a ton of vehicle.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I would actually do the xterra. Parts are out there, still comes in a manual and you can wheel the crap out of them.

And there are some really smart asses in EOD, so if you have thin skin, hate coffee, and refuse to be around smoke or alcohol... choose another field. I loved the ones I had in my units. Still friends with a few of them too.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Yeah I'm used to that kind of stuff.

Though I talked to the recruiter today and he was 0 help. He wouldn't give me straight answers about anything, told me I wouldn't be able to keep up with the little kids that are also signing up for EOD, told me no matter what scores I got on the ASVAB and PST he couldn't get me a guaranteed rate for any job, and tried to get me to sign up immediately without allowing me to discuss stuff with my wife, wouldn't discuss any of the military benefits with me, and generally seemed dismissive about my interest.

Walked 10 feet to the ARMY recruiter, he guaranteed me a spot in an EOD school if I could meet all you of the requirements, Gave me a straight answer to every question I had, and even called a retired tech in the area to answer the questions he couldn't.

tedlovesjeeps71

Shagoneer wrote:Yeah I'm used to that kind of stuff.

Though I talked to the recruiter today and he was 0 help. He wouldn't give me straight answers about anything, told me I wouldn't be able to keep up with the little kids that are also signing up for EOD, told me no matter what scores I got on the ASVAB and PST he couldn't get me a guaranteed rate for any job, and tried to get me to sign up immediately without allowing me to discuss stuff with my wife, wouldn't discuss any of the military benefits with me, and generally seemed dismissive about my interest.

Walked 10 feet to the ARMY recruiter, he guaranteed me a spot in an EOD school if I could meet all you of the requirements, Gave me a straight answer to every question I had, and even called a retired tech in the area to answer the questions he couldn't.
Sorry the Navy guy was such a turd. I'm glad the Army guy was more helpful. Image
Right now there is no push for people enlisting so recruiters are able to be more picky. If things go sideways in N Korea then all that changes.
EOD (in the Army anyways) is almost always an MOS on the hotsheet. There will normally be a bonus involved once you complete school.
Do not... NOT sign anything if you are not satisfied with it. Try every branch, talk to ALL the recruiters. That includes the coast guard. Seriously.
When you get a recruiter that has a clue and at least acts like he gives a rat's rear, work with him.
Maximize whatever benefit you can going in because once you sign the line and take your oath, that's it.
Good luck and thank you for being willing to serve!!

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I was also reading that I can get a guaranteed job from the Chair Force. The Signing bonus is smaller, but the physical requirements are also lower, a lot of them get stationed near where I have a lot of family, and the air force is pretty spoiled.

I was also reading that AF techs respond to 44% of all calls in Iraq and Afghanistan. So Id be able to make more a difference there, and hopefully save more guys from the IED threat that has plagued these wars.
Last edited by Shagoneer on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedlovesjeeps71

Shagoneer wrote:I was also reading that I can get a guaranteed job from the Chair Force. The Signing bonus is smaller, but the physical requirements are also lower, a lot of them get stationed near where I have a lot of family, and the air force is pretty spoiled.
I don't like to bash a different branch (unless talking to them in person. Image) but it is pretty true the AF has a very different set of expectations. They also have some smart folks and hard as nails killers if you look hard enough. I've worked with AF JTAKS who were some first class, squared away bunch of guys. Not sure how much EOD they maintain but I'm certain there are some.
Best thing about the AF is you'll either have better living conditions or get paid extra for being forced to "suffer" the indignity of living in an Army area. Image