1971 Jeepster Commando

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Zorm

1971 Jeepster Commando

Post by Zorm »

Calling any Commando guys. Found a 1971 Commando. It still has the CJ looking grill. Engine is the Dauntless V6 with what looks like a 4bbl adapter to a single bbl carb and a HEI dizzy mated to an automatic. Its got Sears automatic front locking hubs, which I have never seen.

Interior looks clean, low back buckets, rear bench. All seats look like new. Hard top could some new rubber seal all around, even the windows. The two rear wheels are the same and got the Jeep hubcaps, but two different front tires and width wheels. Looks like new paint maybe a few years ago and they did a crappy tape job around the rubber.

Body real solid with some worry spots. Looks like it was undercoated and the frame looks good. No rust through in the floors, automatic.

Not sure what the mileage is, gauge cluster could use some cleaning. Looks like some at some time riveted a set of rear flares on it.

Seller says its all orginal, I know its not. He also says its the last year of the Kaiser Commando, I think 69 was the last year. He is asking $11,500, which I know is way too much. Thinking of the real value of this Commando.

I know its hard to price something with out pics, Ill try and get pics tomorrow
83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles)
4" lift, 351w in the works
78 Cherokee Chief 304
2007 SeaRay 205 (for sale)
71 F-250 Camper Special 390

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

htfiremedic

Re: 1971 Jeepster Commando

Post by htfiremedic »

I miss mine, it was a '69. Ugly as heck, it's was Red White and blue cobbled from several. The colors would have been great if they had been in a good order, but a Blue Commando with a white fender and a red fender.....not real red. It was a primer red....
The 3 speed and 304 were a beast. I should have kept it, but I was young and stupid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Zorm wrote:Calling any Commando guys. Found a 1971 Commando. It still has the CJ looking grill. Engine is the Dauntless V6 with what looks like a 4bbl adapter to a single bbl carb and a HEI dizzy mated to an automatic. Its got Sears automatic front locking hubs, which I have never seen.

Interior looks clean, low back buckets, rear bench. All seats look like new. Hard top could some new rubber seal all around, even the windows. The two rear wheels are the same and got the Jeep hubcaps, but two different front tires and width wheels. Looks like new paint maybe a few years ago and they did a crappy tape job around the rubber.

Body real solid with some worry spots. Looks like it was undercoated and the frame looks good. No rust through in the floors, automatic.

Not sure what the mileage is, gauge cluster could use some cleaning. Looks like some at some time riveted a set of rear flares on it.

Seller says its all orginal, I know its not. He also says its the last year of the Kaiser Commando, I think 69 was the last year. He is asking $11,500, which I know is way too much. Thinking of the real value of this Commando.

I know its hard to price something with out pics, Ill try and get pics tomorrow
He isn't wrong on the year. 67-71 are the Jeepster commandos. 72-73 (with rumors of a few 74s) were simply the commando. Generally speaking there is a lot of difference between them, sorta.
I'll get into that if asked but for now I'll leave it there.
There is no way in hell I'd pay 11500 for a Jeepster. Unless it was a mint, factory original museum piece with SC1 or Hurst on it. Guy is nuts.
Here's the short list:
71 has Ross steering. It sucks. Saginaw didn't come until 72.
Buick V6 is a decent powerplant. It's odd fire so not really something you can add fuel injection to.
Hei isn't original but was on some odd Buick vehicles that used that same motor. Carb should be a 2bbl.
Tranny is a th400, t case is a model 20.
Rear axle will probably be a Dana 44. It's not all that great with small tubes and sometimes 2pc axles. Front is a Dana 30. If it's closed knuckle it probably has drum brakes. They suck too.
Check the tailgate carefully for rust. They are getting hard to find in decent shape.

My 67:

And my old, now gone 72 "bullnose".

bigun

Post by bigun »

There is a commando site, I haven't been on in a long time, but right now my brain won't kick the name out.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

$11,500? He's lost his mind. For that money I'd run. Pictures would help but he's so high you'll never get to the right price for it.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If he is that high he doesn't want to actually sell it. Even a mint condition one would have trouble fetching that.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Zorm

Post by Zorm »

here are some pics
https://imageshack.com/i/poejr2Knj

https://imageshack.com/i/pm96T1dIj

https://imageshack.com/i/pouivKQ6j

https://imageshack.com/i/pnIO5EGSj

https://imageshack.com/i/pn8PkG0Ij

you can see the two different size front tires from the rear shots. The rear fenders are fiberglass and not original right. I think this is turning into,

'Don't get suckered in a purchase like this" post
Last edited by Zorm on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles)
4" lift, 351w in the works
78 Cherokee Chief 304
2007 SeaRay 205 (for sale)
71 F-250 Camper Special 390

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Only seeing one pic.
The rear flares are aftermarket. Not sure if they are sold anymore, maybe. Not sure why they were added. They may simply cover the original body, maybe they cut out the original.
Whoever threw paint at that thing is an idiot. All over the cracked and dry rotted windshield and cowl seals. I bet it leaks when it rains.
So this guy is asking a premium price for a poorly painted, mis-matched wheels/tires rig that isn't particularly rare? I'd probably just tell him good luck and have a nice day. Not even worth the effort to haggle.

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Not sure if you are looking for a project or not, but I thought this 1970 that just ended (reserve unmet) on eBay in SC (probably not too far from you?) was a solid base for a good project. Could email the seller and see what he'd take for it, cash. Comes with a parts truck too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Jeep-Comma ... 1438.l2649

az chip

Post by az chip »

11,500 seems high. Or the seller is high. Someone needs a drug test.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

After seeing the picts, 11,500 is WAY high for that vehicle. I would be hard pressed to pay more than 4k for that. And I consider that a fair amount for a commando.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ