Craigslist scammer, what are they trying to accomplish?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Craigslist scammer, what are they trying to accomplish?

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I sold one of my semi trucks last summer and somebody sends me a link to a Craigslist ad to the same truck for sale. The photos are photos that I took and the description is spot on albeit missing a few minor details. The price was odd and listed at "$3074" which is substantially less than the price was in my ad. Location was off too and doesn't correspond with the current owner, who we know.

I've seen this style of posting before, especially with a particular GW listed on every Craigslist throughout New England.

So, what the hell are the scammers up to these days?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Re: Craigslist scammer, what are they trying to accomplish?

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:I sold one of my semi trucks last summer and somebody sends me a link to a Craigslist ad to the same truck for sale. The photos are photos that I took and the description is spot on albeit missing a few minor details. The price was odd and listed at "$3074" which is substantially less than the price was in my ad. Location was off too and doesn't correspond with the current owner, who we know.

I've seen this style of posting before, especially with a particular GW listed on every Craigslist throughout New England.

So, what the hell are the scammers up to these days?

Apparently it's all over CL at different prices but with my photos and description.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/hvo/ ... 83063.html

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

bigun

Post by bigun »

It has something to do with the phone number, I see a bunch tractor ads that are way to cheap that all use a gmail address, that warning keep being posted to watch out for

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

They are all over craigslist for wagoneers too, . I see these weird ad's for wagoneers, but they are so blaintely obviously fake that i pay no attention to them.

I put my 90 on CL to just see if id get any bites even though i dont plan to sell it ever.. And i would get texts all the time from 702 numbers, one of them is 702-819-8712. Saying is your "vehicle" still for sale. Clearly its a fake scammer text.. because if anyone wanted to know if the wagoneer was for sale, they would say wagoneer not vehicle. Every other day would be a 702 area code but different number. One time they called and i answered because i was curious and it was someone from some backwater finance company wanting to set me up through them to get financing for people to buy my Jeep lol

Ive been on the internet since i was 13 im 31 now, and those basically 20 years online ive learned all the scams and phrases and stuff to avoid.

It isnt just the for sale section, the personals section is just as bad lol.. craigslist is where the scam artists go.. Recently though Craigslist finally implemented a feature where you can only have 1 ad per section. So now scammers cant spam 50 ads anymore in the same section.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

bigun

Post by bigun »

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe looking to get a deposit? Or prolly just legit contact info?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

bigun wrote:Looks like the same rig
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/hvo/ ... 36669.html
Wow, that's it alright! Little too green for ABQ too ;)
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

candymancan wrote:They are all over craigslist for wagoneers too, . I see these weird ad's for wagoneers, but they are so blaintely obviously fake that i pay no attention to them.

I put my 90 on CL to just see if id get any bites even though i dont plan to sell it ever.. And i would get texts all the time from 702 numbers, one of them is 702-819-8712. Saying is your "vehicle" still for sale. Clearly its a fake scammer text.. because if anyone wanted to know if the wagoneer was for sale, they would say wagoneer not vehicle. Every other day would be a 702 area code but different number. One time they called and i answered because i was curious and it was someone from some backwater finance company wanting to set me up through them to get financing for people to buy my Jeep lol

Ive been on the internet since i was 13 im 31 now, and those basically 20 years online ive learned all the scams and phrases and stuff to avoid.

It isnt just the for sale section, the personals section is just as bad lol.. craigslist is where the scam artists go.. Recently though Craigslist finally implemented a feature where you can only have 1 ad per section. So now scammers cant spam 50 ads anymore in the same section.
I had folks from 702 area codes texting me "Is your item still for sale" "yo dude I like your ride, is it still for sale" "nice car, is it still for sale". Afterwards they they would try to "call" me but their cell provider(Google Voice) had to 'verify' my number and they gave me a code to punch in when called. It just screams scam so I never followed thru but apparently it gives them control of your phone number and they use your phone number to rack up charges and scam other people.

LOL@the personals section BTW!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

bigun

Post by bigun »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:
bigun wrote:Looks like the same rig
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/hvo/ ... 36669.html
Wow, that's it alright! Little too green for ABQ too ;)
LOL Yeah kind of a big HUH? moment

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

It's all the same basic arsenal of scams, and I don't understand how anyone is roped into it but there's a sucker born every minute. They may be trying to get you to do the vehicle history scam where you "pay" a small fee for a car-fax type vehicle history report and in doing so give them ALL your personal information, and credit card/bank account. Or they may want you to send a deposit which would give them enough personal info to rip you off. If the scammer is selling, the trick is almost always the same, they want to pay you MORE than your item is worth so you can write a check or wire money to someone else for some dumb reason or another. I had a business inquiry this summer pull that one on me. I was suspicious of it, but they posed as organizers of a real event at a real location and answer all of my questions with almost no tell-tale signs of being scammers (bad english, avoiding questions all together) and ultimately accepted my proposal and sent me a check. The check was of course for too much, and I was supposed to pay the event coordinator. I ceased all communication with them and tore up the check. Wastes of life, all of them.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I've noticed that there are a TON of GWs listed for great prices that have it listed as a RAV4 in the car details on the right. Sounds like automation behind a scam.
1984 GW

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

weeegoneeer wrote:I've noticed that there are a TON of GWs listed for great prices that have it listed as a RAV4 in the car details on the right. Sounds like automation behind a scam.
I've seen that one too.

For kicks I punched in "1994 Kenworth" on search tempest and expanded the search are to nation wide, it's everywhere!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I would guess this is an email mining effort.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

bigun

Post by bigun »

LOL Now with a different phone numbers one right after the other
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/hvo/ ... 01391.html posted 6 days ago
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/hvo/ ... 41258.html posted 4 days ago

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Burn it down with fire.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

since I'm now retired, I'm always looking for equipment on CL. Dozers, backhoes, etc. there will be an 80k backhoe listed for like $4109 or something stupid like that.

I just flag them and keep looking.