Almost got an INSANE deal on an 8274

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Almost got an INSANE deal on an 8274

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Actually, a Jeep SE2067001 by Warn. So this guy posted one local to me for $100 "needs the motor rebuilt". He obviously had no idea how much it was worth before the flood of messages came in. He pulled the ad after bing on Facebook for about 40 minutes. Thankfully he read my message and replied, and told me he honestly had no idea what it was worth but was overwhelmed with response so figured it had to be worth more. He quickly researched it and found them to be worth a good bit more. So now he is asking for $250 from me, and it's no longer listed publicly. I told him I could definitely do $200, but he said he wants to wait until tomorrow to think about that and won't sell it to someone else until he and I come to a decision. I hope that doesn't mean he's off selling it to someone else for $300. I feel it's probably worth $250 but want to make sure. It definitely needs motor rebuilt, that appears to be held together with hose clamps, the plastic solenoid cover is cracked, etc. He does have the remote for it but I have not seen a picture of that.

So, what's a ballpark DIY rebuild cost if I buy everything from Warn? What can I do to save some money (such as use generic solenoids if needed, or have a local shop rebuild the motor for me? He has it on a hitch mount, I would plan to build it into a bumper. Good news about the hitch mount is it probably hasn't sat on a vehicle bumper out in the elements its entire life, though it almost definitely started out that way being a Jeep Special Equipment dealer install.

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Re: Almost got an INSANE deal on an 8274

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Best winch ever made. Worth 300 even if the motor is shot.
You can also hotrod it if you wanted to spend big $$ Image

http://gigglepin4x4.net/twin-motor-upgrades-44-c.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Best winch ever made. Worth 300 even if the motor is shot.

Nice, thanks! Any idea what a basic rebuild costs doing it myself?

tedlovesjeeps71

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Best winch ever made. Worth 300 even if the motor is shot.

Nice, thanks! Any idea what a basic rebuild costs doing it myself?
I believe Warn sells basic and advanced rebuild kits. If you do some researching you can probably find some old Ford(?) Starter that works in place of the original warn. Same with the solenoids.
Best thing to do is disassemble and clean everything very well. Reassemble with new shift seals, rtv the case, and fill with fresh fluid. While it's disassbled, sandblasting and or polishing can make the case look awesome.

bigun

Post by bigun »

Here is Billavista's rebuild bible
http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles ... index.html

Search there are a ton of articles and how toos

For those who don't know Bill was the tech guy at Pirate4x4 for years search in the tech garage there and you can find a lot of the answers you seek

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm picking it up tomorrow, paying $250 for it. I'll start by disassembling and cleaning it up thoroughly, hopefully not doing a 100% rebuild but that's of course TBD. I plan to call Warn and see about their rebuild kits but if they're crazy money or it seems like I won't need everything then I will just buy the seals and such I need off Amazon. I found this: http://crawlorado.com/ocart/index.php?r ... duct_id=53 not much more expensive than the plastic cover Warn makes, and built to last!

tedlovesjeeps71

Remember, the solenoid pack doesn't HAVE to stay on the winch. Heavy gauge, longer wires will allow it to be mounted elsewhere.

bigun

Post by bigun »

I have seen several guys just buy an aluminum box and build their own solenoid pack

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Great idea. I hadn’t enough of that, haven’t seen it in person yet. I will be building a bumper for it so I could easily make a space for the solenoids to mount inside a waterproof or water resistant box. I kinda dig the look of the cover, especially that beefy aluminum one I linked to but we’ll see when I get that far. Thanks for the ideas!

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

Well I got it today. I can cross off the “almost” in the thread title. The motor does not need to be rebuilt. It’s an external wiring issue, so I’ll fix that and polish it up, maybe replace the brake and go with it for now! So $250 for a working 8274....yeah I’m stoked about that!

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Love the 8274. There’s the same winch on facebook near me. Guy wants $600 for it and knows nothing about it. Has the same Jeep sticker as well. I’d try and have the Jeep sticker remade. That would be cool.
Last edited by MadMax78 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

When I was initially researching it I came across an email for a guy who reproduces them. Definitely going to follow up on that!

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Adventure_Wagon88 can you share the info on the guy who is reproducing them?
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

I saw it on Jeepforum.com, it was a user AZ_Chip who knew of the guy. We also have AZ Chip here, I assume it's the same person so I sent him a message. On Jeep Forum he just said he knew the person and offered to give the info via PM.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Yeah we are on most all FSJ forums we can find. It would be cool to see someone else’s rendition on these.
MadMax78

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

MadMax78 wrote:Yeah we are on most all FSJ forums we can find. It would be cool to see someone else’s rendition on these.
Do you make them?

Topic author
Adventure_Wagon88

I’m not registered on Jeep forum but here’s the post. Haven’t PMd him yet

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Awesome. Thank s for the info. Now I need to get me an 8274.
MadMax78

Mojojeeper

Post by Mojojeeper »

I offer sets of decals for both AMC SE and Warn 8274 Winches.