Hiked to tallest falls in Grand Canyon (pics)

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
will e

Hiked to tallest falls in Grand Canyon (pics)

Post by will e »

Took a hike in the Grand Canyon. We visited the tallest falls in the Canyon, about 800 feet total. It's a 50 mile round trip. 5 days and 4 nights. The Cheyava falls only flow for a few weeks and only in years where there is good snow pack on the North Rim.

Still about 1/2 hour away

A few closer shots.

81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

FSJ Paul

Re: Hiked to tallest falls in Grand Canyon (pics)

Post by FSJ Paul »

That's Awesome Will E! You are going to invite me to come along next time, right? Just kidding - I never get any time off. Must be nice to be retired.
Paul
1978 Wide Track Cherokee - work in progress
1976 Cherokee S - sold long ago and sorely missed
1989 Wrangler - not sorely missed.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Well, I am not retired yet! I do get a few weeks off each year. My wife and I can't take any big trips because of our old dogs. My vacations are usually 1 week in Ouray and a hiking trip somewhere.

This particular hike is a lot of work. Down the Canyon, camp at Bright Angel Campground. Up early and hike 10 or so miles to Clear Creek. Mostly up hill, some steep. Camp at Clear Creek and then get up the next morning and hike 7 or so miles to the falls and another 7 miles back. Camp again and then hike back to Bright Angel and camp again. Wake up and hike out of the Canyon. Each day is a lot of exertion but it's worth it.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Very pretty, thats quite the hike to get there. Makes me feel a bit spoiled that I only have to hike like, 1/4 mile to the bottom of Yosemite Falls here :P
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Stuka wrote:Very pretty, thats quite the hike to get there. Makes me feel a bit spoiled that I only have to hike like, 1/4 mile to the bottom of Yosemite Falls here :P
I would do that most every day. Sounds awesome! Post some pics.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The Grand Canyon is awesome this time of year. Hiked to Phantom Ranch a few times (via both Hermit and Grandview - recommended!) but never up the Clear Creek trail. Excellent.

My memory says it's pretty early for Yosemite though... May is said to be the best month to see the falls with a lot of water.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

tgreese wrote:The Grand Canyon is awesome this time of year. Hiked to Phantom Ranch a few times (via both Hermit and Grandview - recommended!) but never up the Clear Creek trail. Excellent.

My memory says it's pretty early for Yosemite though... May is said to be the best month to see the falls with a lot of water.
Yeah, snow isn't melting enough yet. I had monday off and went up the hill and the snow is still frozen enough that you can just walk on top of it. Which is weird walking on 4-5ft of snow and only sinking like an inch. Up over the pass there is 25+ feet. In 2-3 weeks the water falls should get going pretty good.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ